Dogs dogs dogs + fitness

Options
1235»

Replies

• jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    With my first dog (many years ago) I tried obedience classes.. He saw a female on the other side of the room that he just HAD to meet, and took off with his chain wrapped around my ankle.
    Next day, foot was like a balloon, ended up being sent to A&E, and finding it was broken.. I'd been walking on it.. and needed to have it rebroken..
    Turned out he was incredibly smart and didn't need it anyways.

Now Phoenix, my German Shepherd, she's only in it for the sniffing and the stop/start to check out everyone and everything that comes into sight. Had a few "aghh" moments running when she suddenly decides to stop.

Definately a lap dog... ooff! Use a gentle leader, as its the only way to keep her in check
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I wish my dog could workout with me, he'd love it. He's super playful and high energy. Unfortunately the only way that he's added to my fitness is carrying him long distances. I have a boston terrier with a neurological disorder called cerebellar hypoplasia. He has no sense of balance. He's able to walk in a straight line only when very familiar with his surroundings. He falls often, circles, has a drunken gait, runs into things, and has intention tremors. But he's the bestest most happiest thing ever and I adore him more than anything.
    Fizzgig-elisabat-September.jpg
    IM0000821.jpg
  • Darius66
    Darius66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have 2 rottweilers and I try to take them for long walks every night but am hampered by the boy Max. He walks like 500 miles behind me on leash and my girl Bella is so energetic that she is running in front. I am jogging with one hand forward and one back and i swear my arm will rip off!

They walk much better then they run! We try to go on long walks but on nights that I go to the gym they get a little less time then usual.

2wmginn.jpg

nf1p5g.jpg
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    <
    This boy thinks that if I'm on the floor, he has the right to lay on my stomach! Or if my hands are anywhere he can reach them, he deserves to be petted. He gives me the comic relief I need to keep my exercises from being too austere.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply back! I didn't even think of border collies and i love them! They are so much fun and have great personalities. I am actually looking at a different complex and they have a small dog park and have more limitations to size. I love all the photos! Keep them coming.

Dork... i meant less limitations... i can have larger pups. doh!
  • teesShrinking
    Options
    i started jogging four days a week since i got my pointer lab mix.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a French poodle. His name is Tommy, he'll be 5 in September. He used to like to run (by himself!) a lot in the garden, but I guess age is starting to get to him, and nowadays he likes to sleep ALL the time.

We do go out two or three times a week around the neighborhood and we either walk for 30 mins, or run for 15. We usually go out late at night, around 10 or 11, when there are no cars, so he can go without his leash and I don't worry about him stopping every 2 seconds to sniff on something, lol. He helps me with the Fitbit scoreboard! :P

This pic was taken right after we came back from a run:
    9af4a2509ce811e2b7ab22000a1f90e7_7_zpse390d148.jpg

And here, he's just resting. BTW, he always goes for the pillow!
    0cb1c5c4b91011e28e3c22000a1f9d44_7_zps6be73d99.jpg
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My dog (see profile pic, although he is fully grown now), is a collie mix. We love walks, we can walk for around an hour, at a moderate pace! easily. The dog walks in conjunction with my classes/shred dvd have really started to get me into shape.
  • kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Any ideas of good breeds that are 30lbs or less for running partners? The complexes I am looking at only allows 30 lbs or less, and I am not a big fan of having tiny dogs. They are adorable, but i love my big dogs.

Since I read your later post about being able to go bigger. I recommend Lab/lab mixes. I've been told by lab owners that they are comparable to the energizer bunny. I've heard Australian shepherds are great dogs too. We're actually picking up a Aussie/Beagle puppy this weekend. I also recommend adopting from a shelter. There are TONS of loving dogs out there that need homes. All 4 of our dogs have been rescues and all were well behaved and great workout partners.

What ever you do decide to get make sure you do your homework. I totally recommend reading The Adopted Dogs Bible (it's written by the creators of petfinder.com) it's great and really applies to any dog.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My Glacias loves to run more than anything, we have trained for 8 half marathons and 3 marathons together- she is a fantastic long distance runner, have never seen anything like her for endurance, the longest run we've done together is 37km.

And MAN can she fly when she sprints after a ball when we play fetch!

cabc48d3-2385-46ef-9bf9-a665f6bd656a_zpsecf0f74e.jpg
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have a Beagle and we walk between 40-60 minutes a night, at least 4 times a week if not more.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    my 12 year old rotti cant keep up anymore. And he limps if he over does it. Sad to see your walking/ running partner get old and have to be left behind :(
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my 12 year old rotti cant keep up anymore. And he limps if he over does it. Sad to see your walking/ running partner get old and have to be left behind :(

:sad:
    :brokenheart:

I dread the day...
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I took the family dog to obedience school, but he bugs out too much, and wants to smell all the bushes and stuff...I still take him "walking" but basically he is out of control the whole time we are out. I have to hold the leash really tightly, and close to my knees for him to have some semblance of following my steps.

Have you tried the Gentle Leader harness? Not the muzzle thing, but the harness. Some of my friends have had great success with it.

My dogs are pretty darn good on leashes. Unless there is a cat or a squirrel involved, and then they strangle themselves running in that direction. Sometimes other dogs really upset them. Working with highly reactive dogs is tough, but walking is so important to me that I make it work.

I own a pet store... this is what I suggest to most of my customers with similar issues. We trained 1 dog using a choke collar and he is the worst walker to this day. Our youngest we trained on the Gentle Leader harness and he's a champ - he walks really well. It works well because it trains your dog to walk BESIDE you... not in front or behind you. Definately give it a try!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm a shepherd - I have working border collies. The way to get them to walk/run at heel initially is to have a length of something "swishy" a hazel rod or alkehaline pipe about 4' long. Whenever they try to overtake, you swish it in front of their face and repeat whatever your "heel" command is. It does no harm if you occasionally tap them on the muzzle by accident.
  • LitaRose77
    LitaRose77 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a 12 year old Tibetan Terrier who I started taking with me on walks just yesterday. I try not to push her too much, she has bad arthritis & I'm afraid she will hurt herself & being that she is 30 lbs, I can't exactly carry her home if she does. Right now, we are taking it slow, 0.65 miles last night & going to increase the distance little by litte.

I also walk during the afternoon at work, which is .86 miles, so I am slowly getting my distance up. I have been stationary for many years & trying to break the habit.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My Cocker just did a 5K with me. We walk and/or run twice daily.
  • rosieloo13
    rosieloo13 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hollie is my workout buddy. Everyday we run 3 plus miles. I tie the leash around my waist so my hands can be free. She enjoys the runs and sleeps like a baby at night. She also enjoys long hikes near streams, rivers, or lakes where she can run and swim to cool off.
  • banana_butterfly
    banana_butterfly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i have 2 small mutts too. i walk them around an hour and a half everyday, if it's not raining. but the walking doesn't seem to help much with weight issues or body toning... :( we have been doing it ever since i adopted them but i didn't notice a lot of changes in my body. but i do enjoy seeing them happy anyways :)