why eat back calories???

Options
i have a wellness coach and she told me i was eating enough and it was not necessary to eat back my exercise cals and that by doing that im really just cheating myself but she said to definitly make sure i am eating protien at every meal including snacks. any thoughts on this subject? im new to all this so i am just trying to get the right information

Replies

• amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    and feel free to check out my diary i feel satisfied now that i am used to eating more healthy than i was before i decided to change
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    and she also told me i need between 1125 and 1650 cals a day
  • LadyT1190
    LadyT1190 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with her 200%. I don't eat my calories back b/c calories burned are estimated. I've lost 90 lbs total and I've never eaten my calories back.
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I figure if you want eat them back do it if not don't. See which works for you. Way myfitnesspal is set up is that calorie goal they have set if you go about your normal day with no exercise. So when you exercise that's energy that they didn't figure into how many calories you'll need to lose weight. I mean it'd be the same as if you had a really physical job but had it set to where you were sedentary for your daily activity.
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    thank you it makes alot of sense and she sure seems to know what she is talkin about:flowerforyou:
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i am sure the biggest losers did not eat back their calories
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I guess I just can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to eat more if they can and still lose weight. It boggles my mind. You can eat your exercise calories and still lose. In fact, if you are following the MFP way, you are supposed to eat them. Also, the smaller your deficit, the more likely you are losing just fat and not fat and lean body mass. Lean body mass is easier to keep than to get back.
  • bbacskai
    bbacskai Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat back? Think drink back and relax for a moment.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My thought is if your macros are in line, and you're not hungry don't eat. A lot of time, thirst is mistaken for hunger. Try a glass of water, if you're still hungry after 30 minutes, eat.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I tried eating mine back, and gained 3 lbs........stopped eating them back again, and lost the 3 lbs I gained...some people swear by eating the calories back, but it didn't work for me at all !!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least your BMR (net calories).
    Also, I just took a peak at your diary and you exercise a lot! Sometimes 3.5 hours?! You don't need to do as much except if you really like it. But for weight loss, you only need to eat at a deficit. Also, try to incorporate weight lifting because you do too much cardio.
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    ya i get a little crazy on the cardio sometimes i just get so into it but i do want to start lifting i am just waiting until i can afford to get some used weights i do use hand weights but i know its not enough i want to start bench pressing
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I guess I just can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to eat more if they can and still lose weight. It boggles my mind. You can eat your exercise calories and still lose. In fact, if you are following the MFP way, you are supposed to eat them. Also, the smaller your deficit, the more likely you are losing just fat and not fat and lean body mass. Lean body mass is easier to keep than to get back.

Ditto! It baffles me why anyone would want to eat so little. Plus you are netting so few calories by not eating them back. Its not a sustainable long term plan. Example: you eat 1200 calories in a day, then exercise and burn 600 calories. You are only netting 600 calories. Its not healthy to do that your body long term. And from my past experience, I failed every single time I ate so low and gained back all, plus more of what I lost. Plus I was hungry, tired, and crabby all the time. Im happy when I get to eat and still lose weight. Its totally up to you, but you are creating too large a deficit. Enjoy your hard earned calories (in my opinion). They are yours to eat!
  • amandaanderson2786
    Options
    well i understand that but i am not tired and crabby i feel satisfied when i tried to eat back cals i feltlike i was too full
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Anyone recommending that you don't eat them doesn't understand that MFP is set up with a low calorie goal that doesn't include exercise. It is set up so that if you did no exercise at all, you would lose weight just by dieting alone. When you do exercise, you need to fuel it, otherwise you would be eating too little for all of the activity you did.

This is different than most other methods where they figure energy needs including exercise and take a deduction off of that.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Whether you feel full or not is not a good indicator of whether you are eating the appropriate amount. Hunger is regulated by hormones. Hormones can be off balance by eating too little, or eating too much, or eating too much of certain things.
  • momm2000
    momm2000 Posts: 6
    Options
    W make wieght loss more complicated than it already is. i say don't eat them back just for easiness.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it. Some of us want to lose it at a steady rate, some don't. It's whatevs.

I personally feel like I could go into my kitchen and tip my fridge into my mouth if I don't eat them back...but I guess my metabolism is different or something.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you that is not familiar with MFP. It seems counterintuitive...but it works. Really. It makes things easier ans healthier. Please read the FAQs about this....it makes perfect sense.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back and am still loosing...always have ate them back. It works for me. Just find out what works for you .