Are accents universally awesome?

Options

Replies

• sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Originally being from the south, I get quite a few compliments on my southern accent here in WA. Even though it's not as prominent as it once was.

Russian accents are pretty bad *kitten* IMO.
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    I LOVE British, Scottish, Australian, anything considered Northern, and Canadian accents. Goodness, they're amazing.

I'm from the South (though both my parents are New Yorkers so I don't have a very strong accent) and I can't stand the Southern drawl most of the time.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't feel my Boston accent is really pronounced but when I'm away for work people ask me to say "Wicked pissah".

I also find Australian accents are similar in that we tend to drop our r's

I dated a woman from Mass. and she would say "wicked" in every other sentence. lol

I never say wicked or pissah but I give the people what they want to hear!

I'm definitely guilty on saying wicked, but I don't use it all the time
  • TMartinFranklin
    Options
    Yes ma'am, I'm from Alabama y'all......
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I almost forgot I had an accent since I've lived in the same area for the majority of my life and almost everyone I come into contact with on a day to day basis has the same accent as me. That all changed when I holidayed in America, no one could get me to shut up, they thought my accent was "intelligent" and "classy". I'm a bloody cockney for gods sake XD

PS. I adore American accents now - I would love to have one !
  • cczar
    cczar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am South African, but currently living in the US. I love getting compliments about my accent. For me - I love the Spanish accent. mmmmm.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE a true Boston accent, especially South Boston haha.

I'm also a sucker for a good Canadian, eh! :blushing:

Australian and Icelandic/Scandinavian accents *swoon* :love:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I love all accents italian is super sexy as is british and australian and of course southern
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Love British, Scottish, Australian and them Texans! :love:
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    IRISH ACCENT :heart: :heart:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    LOL Saying "British accent" is kind of like saying "North American accent". It covers soooo much.

It's kind of funny, you don't think of yourself as having an accent until you're around people with a different one and they point it out. I have a generic, Midwest American accent and where I live in the UK people love it. I've been told so many times that American accents can sound quite grating, but mine is nice to listen to.

But I've been living here 4.5 years now and a couple people have told me they can hear a touch of a West Country accent trying to sneak in on some words, so maybe I've got a bit of a hybrid thing starting to happen.

Absolutely. I'm English. I grew up in North Yorkshire, although moved there when I was 4 so already had a Southern accent, so at school I always sounded a bit more 'posh' but then I went to university in Kent, in the South, and sounded Northern. Now I live in the South East and have a mixture of accents I guess.

I have a French degree and lived in France for a year. When I was there I was told I speak French with a Spanish accent!

I like Irish accents and some American accents, and French of course!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm from north west England and over here accents change considerably between different towns. I live about ten miles east of Liverpool. Liverpool people think I sound like a 'woolly' (slang for northern but not Liverpool/scouse!) and yet people from ten miles further east think I sound scouse.:laugh:

Having said that, all northerners would be equally insulted and immediately bonded together if anyone said we were southerners.

My problem is that I pick up accents very easily and people think I'm mocking them! I lived in Wales for three years and can easily slip back into a Swansea accent. Also, when I lived in Albany, NY I had to start speaking like them cos no-one could understand me otherwise!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am, I'm from Alabama y'all......

Me too, honey.
    I love all accents except for (don't hate, please) anyone that sound whiney like the Nanny.
    I love Southern (old Charleston), Bostonian, English, German...etc etc etc.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I guess not ALL accents are awesome...no love for the Asians, eh? Around here in Microsoft-land the most common accents I hear are Chinese and Indian. Not sexy, unfortunately.

My favorite are English accents, and I know there are dozens of them but I'm not picky. Brummie, scouse, whatever accent that is that the royals have - it's all good. :)
  • deacs5one
    deacs5one Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How about a southern accent from an Asian???
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Scottish
    Australian
    Irish
    Southern US
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Boston/New England (home:heart:)
    Southern USA (boys not girls)
    Irish
    English
    French
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i love hearing women with british or southern accents! i'm stuck with a midwestern twang, where people down south think i got a norwegian accent and people up here say i sound like i got a country twang
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Being from Boston I don't get the whole Boston accent thing, I have it not super pronounced but I have it. I think southern accents, the little twangs and calling people darlin is so hot. Also Irish...I can give you a person I think has an amazing one but I odn't remember where he is from.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    British and Australian; HOT.

Southern drawl: the opposite. IMHO.