How much is your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Currently have a membership to Blast Fitness, which for just a one location membership (no classes) which it sounds like that would work for you is $10 per month.

I currently have the VIP package which is $19.99 per month and that gives you access to any gym, classes, babysitting and free tanning
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I use the local YMCA and that is 50 per month for a household membership.

This is what I would suggest. Of course the quality (and price) of the Y depends on where you live. When I lived in Ann Arbor, MI, the Y was AWESOME! Not so much here, but there are other nice facilities at the county parks that are relatively inexpensive.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The Y near me is 101/month but I have a 10% town worker which makes it 90 and then my insurance reimburses me 50...it's expensive considering but it has daycare, pools, and classes. So worth it for a single mother like myself
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness, 29/month, includes all gyms nationally, pool, racquetball, basketball, and all classes free (spin, zumba, yoga, et al)
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00

^Not a real gym! They even say so in their adverts.

Explain a "REAL" gym??

They have weights, treadmills, eliptical, arc trainer, bikes, free weights, ladies locker room, mens locker room, tanning, massage chair just to name a few...So what's not real about that?

PF isnt really geared toward serious lifters. they dont allow certain lifts in their facilities and any noise made from the lifter or the weights seems to get a negative reaction, and even an alarm (from what i have read/heard).

i go to gold for $9.95/mo. it aint big, it aint fancy, but i can lift and its cheap. win.

ETA: PF's marketing is brilliant. i have nothing against them at all...smart business is smart. it's not a good for me is all.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00

Explain a "REAL" gym??

They have weights, treadmills, eliptical, arc trainer, bikes, free weights, ladies locker room, mens locker room, tanning, massage chair just to name a few...So what's not real about that?

As I said previously, not all are the same, but as a general, corporate policy, they actively discourage heavy lifting, outright band deadlifting (again, some do allow it) and set off a "lunk alarm" if you drop your weights or grunt. So, the heavy lifting crowd tends to not like them since their advertising openly mocks those who lift heavy and seems to encourage people not to grow in or increase their fitness. I have also heard/read that their "free weights" section is very limited and leaves a lot to be desired. PFs are a very divisive topic around here.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I pay $165 a month
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I pay $165 a month

you miss a decimal in there somewhere?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live, call around or stop by. In Oklahoma only since Gold's gym has others dropped their prices. With that said I have Gold's gym $10 per month, and the YMCA $78 for the entire family.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    59 bucks a month
  • mzteebell
    mzteebell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Club Fitness - $10 per month.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I pay 19.99/month at Fitness Factory with a full free weights and machine area - with new expansion adding larger free weights area and hopefully a couple more squat racks! I left PF because I couldn't lift heavy and because they didn't have free weights except DBs and a smith machine. Cheap but not very useful.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I pay $165 a month

you miss a decimal in there somewhere?

I'd bet it's a Crossfit gym.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use the local YMCA and that is 50 per month for a household membership.
    this is what I was hoping to do, but it's $84/month for a family plus $99 to join. :/ I want a place my H & I can go together, that has childcare so our toddler can tag along.
  • Canuck_Fit
    Canuck_Fit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I pay $165 a month

165$ a month? I'm hoping that's supposed to be 65$ or your machines are made of actual gold plates :)

Mine is 42$ at Goodlife Gym with a corporate rate.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I got to a local chain Club Fitness its $19.99 a month which includes, unlimted use of the gym, free classes, and unlimited tanning, and you have 24/7 access, and i have access to other gyms.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to have an LA fitness membership and was $40/month. I just had Anytime fitness and was $39/month. I quit anytime because I got a new job that has a gym FREE of charge in the building but wish I could access something on the weekends. Was there an initial fee when you joined LA fitness? I'm thinking of going back there...
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00

Explain a "REAL" gym??

They don't have free weights, they have dumbbells and a smith machine. That's not free weights
  • YoungD33
    YoungD33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00

Explain a "REAL" gym??

They do not allow deadlifting. They also will kick you out for dropping weights, even if unintentional. Some have even limited the free weight area so that what they call "lunks" will not want to attend their facilities.

ETA: http://youtu.be/vQfmpXsLV_4
    http://youtu.be/Rn5mzEAMAkY

They also order pizza on Mondays and when you walk in to exercise it smells like ****in pizza!!! My membership is up in July and I refuse to go back no matter how cheap it is! One day I heard the "lunk alarm" go off 20 times in a row because some poor guy with headphones on was banging his weights a little...super annoying when you are trying to concentrate on your exercise.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00

Explain a "REAL" gym??

As I said previously, not all are the same, but as a general, corporate policy, they actively discourage heavy lifting, outright band deadlifting (again, some do allow it) and set off a "lunk alarm" if you drop your weights or grunt. So, the heavy lifting crowd tends to not like them since their advertising openly mocks those who lift heavy and seems to encourage people not to grow in or increase their fitness. I have also heard/read that their "free weights" section is very limited and leaves a lot to be desired. PFs are a very divisive topic around here.

Lol, it's still a gym. It's not "fake" :ohwell: