How much is your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00

^Not a real gym! They even say so in their adverts.

Explain a "REAL" gym??

They have weights, treadmills, eliptical, arc trainer, bikes, free weights, ladies locker room, mens locker room, tanning, massage chair just to name a few...So what's not real about that?

They don't have free weights, they have dumbbells and a smith machine. That's not free weights

My planet fitness in Rosedale, Maryland has free weights

The reason planet Fitness gets a lot of negative attention around here is because the equipment that they stock their gyms with combined with the rules in place prevent you from following any sort of program that is legitimately high in intensity. So while a beginner might do well there, you outgrow it very quickly. The leg press machine at the PF I used to be a member of back when I first started working out maxed out at 280 lbs. I could leg press more than that much for reps when I was new and just starting out. Most people outgrow equipment like that VERY quickly. Also, most locations do not have squat racks as PF corporate policy prohibits the two main exercises you would need a squat rack for (barbell squats and deadlifts). Some locations get one anyway, but they're doing so in violation of corporate policy and it's only a matter of time before they get rid of it. Instead, they use Smith Machines, which they are starting to get rid of as well. The free weights section is a selection of dumbbells that stops at I believe 40 or so lbs, which may be enough for upper body specific work, but after you have been working out a while it will no longer be sufficient to challenge you for lower body exercises.

Your typical PF is nothing but machines, a small selection of dumbbells, cardio equipment, and maybe a smith machine which they will sound the lunk alarm for if you use it for squatting or deadlifting. If your PF has anything beyond that, then it's more than likely they're operating in violation of corporate policy and will get in trouble with corporate eventually.
  • Hoosier96
    Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky to work at the company i work for. We have a fitness center one floor below me. It costs me $50.00 a year. there are many classed M-F from yoga to Zumba. Lots of ellipticls and treadmills. We also have spinning classes. My company is very concerned with the health of its empoyees. We are one of the top healthiest companies in the US. So I have no excuses not to wrk out!!
    That's pretty rad! A company I used to work for paid for our gym memberships (nice gym in building) AND reimbursed us for a monthly massage. Maybe explains why they went out of business (haha). But yeah, those were the days....
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    $ 19 Smyrna GA-Retro Fitness. Golds Gym which is a 20+ min drive and totally amazing is between $10-$14 depending what the start fee is :) Good luck and Best wishes

(Lifting heavy is a blast, especially Leg n Booty days)
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Actually two memberships. Anytime fitness, about $30 month, and a local (very nice) gym which ends up $25 month after insurance rebate.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Actually two memberships. Anytime fitness, about $30 month, and a local (very nice) gym which ends up $25 month after insurance rebate.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    mine is about $18/month; I go to Xperience Fitness, used to be Gold's Gym.

One tip on the grocery bill, do you have an Aldi's or a "discount" grocery store in your area? Aldi's usually has fantastic produce at low prices, so I will get all my fruits and veggies for the week from there and then get the rest of my groceries elsewhere. Also, if you avoid the pre-packaged "healthy" foods, you are probably able to save money too if you have time to make some of that stuff at home.

Good luck!
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA in my town. It's $39.99 (or something close to that) per month. If I go 12 times/month, my insurance covers $20 of my membership... so I usually end up paying around $19.99/month!

Great motivation to get there at least 3x/week!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I workout at home for $0
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Okay, I resisted the gym for so long---I love to run outside but in mountain states it can be challenging. I wanted to swim in a saline pool and then found out that if I volunteered 2 hours childcare a week
    only 2 hours a week
    I could have a free gym membership including unlimited access to a great saline [no chlorine pool]. So I do the childcare, the kids are great--and it makes me so happy to be able to take yoga, pilates, spin class---lift weights--everything they offer for two hours a week doing something pretty fun. So, don't let the: "I can't afford it" stop you----maybe you can trade for a membership. What skills could you offer? No excuses!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    We are lucky. In our small city we have 3 community center(soon to be 4) and they are free. Plus the University of Kansas here has 2 very well equipped gyms.
  • 2ahealthyme
    2ahealthyme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mine is $85 month which includes my husband. I like the indoor pool, and the variety of classes offered. I also like the cardio equipment better than at other places I've tried. The biggie for me is that it is open and staffed 24 hrs. We like to work out at odd hours.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For my husband and I, and childcare at our local Motion Fitness (Canada) we pay $80 bi-weekly. Ridiculous if you ask me, especially considering we left Fitness for $10 where we paid $20/month for the both of us and that included unlimited tanning (which i never used once). However, location and childcare facilities were important enough to switch.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Where I am, I go to a local gym which is very cheap - £25 a month for all times and all classes. However if you only want to do weights in a lot of british cities there are 'minimalist' gyms with no classes or trainers and you can just go to use the equipment for about £15-20 a month.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    $40 a month for 24 hour fitness and $100 a month for krav maga
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Club Fitness, $10 a month for a single gym membership, $21 a month for any gym and 24 hour access.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am on a health referral at the moment so its £2.00 per visit which is about $3.04. The referral is a 6 month one which ends at the end of June. I will need to carefully consider membership as I have no work at the moment.
  • soniadavisbey
    soniadavisbey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    $27 FOR ME AND MY 2 KIDS..I GO TO THE YMCA..IT'S AWESOME IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY
  • 2ahealthyme
    2ahealthyme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I toured a Toyota factory, and they have TWO large fitness areas right in the middle of their factory for their employees to use on their breaks or before/after a shift. They also have a Trainer in each of the areas. The plant is huge, and they have their major arteries marked with distance so people can walk as well. I thought that was pretty cool.
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    $30 at LA Fitness
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I pay $35 for a monthly guest pass that gives me access to everything. After a month I can get another one or go to another gym.
    I am planning on moving in 2-3 months, so I didn't see the point in getting a gym membership with contracts and stuff....

Also, check this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921892-no-gym-required?hl=no+gym

She got in amazing shape and never went to the gym. She used videos from youtube. Very inspiring!