Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• ladynnred
    ladynnred Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    weight has been a problem all my life. For several years, eating completely vegetarian low fat, I was around 120 but gradually let back in french fries, etc., got too busy to do exercise as a priority and was back to 170+. In short, 120 was stunningly anorexic but stupid and not sustainable. Last summer I broke my foot. My IMMEDIATE thought was that I'd gain pounds and pounds b/c I had been trying for almost 10 years to lost back down from the 170 but NOTHING, repeat NOTHING had worked. (this was, in retrospect b/c I kept jumping from approach to approach instead of doing a single, dedicated approach). I immediately (we're talking perhaps 2 minutes after I found the foot was really broken in 4 places so I could not work out) decided I'd do 1200 calories/day to try maintaining where I was.

Fast forward almost 10 months (it will be 10 months next week), and I'm down 28 pounds. I do not do without anything but I stick to 1200 calories. I try working out every day but don't always make it. I also have days when i don't manage to eat under 1200 but I have stopped then saying 'Oh, well. I screwed up so let's eat all we want on the premise we'll start all over tomorrow'. NO, that was not working. If I go over 1200, then tomorrow is back to 1200.

I don't feel deprived but feel like I'm living my life. What a concept. Would still like to lose another 20 pounds but 120 was probably--if I'm honest--too little so if I can get 2 more pounds off, I will be within the BMI range for health (tantalizing close as it is) which is good enough at this point in life. I am ready to LIVE, not wait for when I've lost the weight.

Be healthy! 1200 is actually a lot of calories but even more if you go low calorie density and non-processed as much as you can. You can do it!
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on where you start out. If you are already relatively thin and workout, 1200 is probably a little less than you need to burn and sustain energy. If you are pudgy & overweight and never workout and eat like crap, then 1200 is going to rock your world and of course you'll lose weight.

That's one of the things that drives me crazy about MFP and weight loss programs. I think they are geared towards those who don't already watch what they eat, count cals and workout 6 days a week... they are really for the folks who are over weight. sucks.

In any case, if you work out every day, lifting weights and cardio, I say go 1200-1500

Good luck
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1200 is sort of hilarious as a magic number. It's like people think it doesn't matter if they're 5' even or 6'2, 1.2K will magically expand or contract for you.

If you are tiny 1200 may be just what the doctor ordered. If you are tall it probably isn't. You might as well ask for 'looking for success stories of women who are five-foot three!'

I'm just about five-foot three...and it's been very successful for me. Yay, me! Five-foot-three works for me. It really really does.:wink:
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi Claire,
    would you mind telling me your height ,BMI and calories suggested when you first started on MFP? ,I started WW a couple of months ago and I have lost a little weight and I really worked hard to do it.MFP seems the same as WW and its free!!!!!.........do you believe staying on 1200 (plus a it more ) you really loose weight? I also exercise roughly 5 times a week including walking 60 mins and swimming 45 mins.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards,
    Cheryl
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I eat the 1,200 MFP gives me (my BMR is 1249) and eat more on the days I run or do yoga which is just common sense. My TDEE is something like 1,900 but there is no way I would lose weight if I ate that many calories daily and I would probably even have a hard time reaching that. I only run 4 times a week and we all know it only takes a day without exercise or a night out with the girls to blow a whole week, especially if you're over 40! 1,200 can be your base and then you can tinker with it from there based on results and how you feel. And don't listen to people who have yo-yo dieted their entire adult lives, had an eating disorder, and now suddenly think they've suddenly cracked the code. They may be destined to fail long-term. Who knows, right? You have to do what's right for you, your lifestyle, and your body.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have the 1200 calorie a day plan also. There's one thing it seems no one is taking into consideration - age. I'm 66 years old and I am losing an average of 1 lb a week. When I was 26 I went on a diet and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks and didn't gain it back for 20 years. Well the metabolism and lifestyle have both changed since then. I really am pretty sedimentary but I am working out hard with Leslie Sansone 6 days a week from 30 - 60 minutes with stretchy bands as well as jumping on a mini trampoline. Still it is slow going. Oh I am not starving, in fact I eat way too many treats. I have lost 16 lbs so far and want to lose 22 more. Anyway, when you consider calories take into consideration the age you are. The older and less active you are the less the calories you can eat. If you did the questionaire when you joined they came up with the amount of calories for a reason and one was your age and another your activity level. To all of you who can eat 1700 or 1800 calories - You lucky dogs. I couldn't have cheesecake today but you could have.

what about a cheesecake flavored ice cream cone. they have them at coldstone, and they have kid sized stuff so it could be very few cals compared to cheesecake. I just hate to think of living life without cheesecake. ever.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9P13uaXa6mhM_x3Q5K2EA9gGFvOsIfbO1oLrqIBEKj_d46Mao
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    1200 is sort of hilarious as a magic number. It's like people think it doesn't matter if they're 5' even or 6'2, 1.2K will magically expand or contract for you.

If you are tiny 1200 may be just what the doctor ordered. If you are tall it probably isn't. You might as well ask for 'looking for success stories of women who are five-foot three!'

I'm just about five-foot three...and it's been very successful for me. Yay, me! Five-foot-three works for me. It really really does.:wink:

I'm a 5'3" girl and my BMR is actually 1249 so 1200 REALLY IS my magic number.
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!
    I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

Do you expect your car to run without gas? Do you use your cell phone without charging it? Stop thinking of your body as a number on a scale, and start thinking of it as a machine that needs energy to function. The bottom line is losing weight at 1200 calories is not healthy because a) you aren't feeding it properly b) it's not ideal to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life. The damage it does to your metabolism, and yes the potential harm it can do if your body goes into starvation mode and starts to consume it's own muscle. (Also your period doesn't need to stop for your body to be doing this, I was anorexic and my period never stopped not even when I was 115lbs :D so that's a mute point.) Also talking about muscle and starvation, guess what's a muscle in your body? YOUR HEART :D

Smart 1st response. Even SMARTER 2nd response. You're awesome!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have the 1200 calorie a day plan also. There's one thing it seems no one is taking into consideration - age. I'm 66 years old and I am losing an average of 1 lb a week. When I was 26 I went on a diet and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks and didn't gain it back for 20 years. Well the metabolism and lifestyle have both changed since then. I really am pretty sedimentary but I am working out hard with Leslie Sansone 6 days a week from 30 - 60 minutes with stretchy bands as well as jumping on a mini trampoline. Still it is slow going. Oh I am not starving, in fact I eat way too many treats. I have lost 16 lbs so far and want to lose 22 more. Anyway, when you consider calories take into consideration the age you are. The older and less active you are the less the calories you can eat. If you did the questionaire when you joined they came up with the amount of calories for a reason and one was your age and another your activity level. To all of you who can eat 1700 or 1800 calories - You lucky dogs. I couldn't have cheesecake today but you could have.

what about a cheesecake flavored ice cream cone. they have them at coldstone, and they have kid sized stuff so it could be very few cals compared to cheesecake. I just hate to think of living life without cheesecake. ever.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9P13uaXa6mhM_x3Q5K2EA9gGFvOsIfbO1oLrqIBEKj_d46Mao

Well 1200 calories a day certainly doesn't mean "living a life without cheesecake. ever.". That's a bit dramatic IMO ;). I stay around 1200 calories and meanwhile I just had a delicious slice of cheesecake Mother's Day. I wasn't stressed about going over calories, but turns out I didn't anyway. That was with me also enjoying shrimp scampi, buttered French bread, tomatoes/mozzarella, a couple of glasses of wine, etc, etc ;) Trust me I truly had my fill!

I would suppose even those on much higher calories might have times they'd be going over to add a slice of cheesecake as well, no?
  • rosemaryhon
    Options

I'm a 5'3" girl and my BMR is actually 1249 so 1200 REALLY IS my magic number.

5'3" here too, living contently on approx. 1200 daily as well :)
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting to hear from people who lost weight this way and kept it off for a LOOOOOONG time. Those who argue most fervently for it are those who are in the midst of starving off the pounds... i.e. "I've been doing it since January, works awesome for me!!" Yes, wonderful. Where are you, the 1200ers 3 years from the start of such a program? 5? 10? Those are the success stories we need to hear. Don't even bother if you've been doing it for a few months...
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    And, on another note- why is it so hard for people to educate themselves? Go figure out your resting metabolic rate (RMR), your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and if you want to lose weight, eat at TDEE -10 to 20%. Several others have provided links to easy websites that help you do that. This way, you can lose weight without harming yourself. 1200 is a silly number to be hung up on. You may find that your TDEE -20% is 1200, but you'll probably be about 5 feet tall; good for you! Just get educated, make a smart choice and be kind to your body.

Most folk that go after these 1200 cal threads here are genuinely concerned about the health of others. It can seem like we're all negative etc, but it genuinely comes out of a place of concern... it's no fun to witness someone ruin their metabolism, and self esteem, with yo-yo weight loss/ gain. I did it. I was on the VLCD for a while (accidentally, from a place of grief) and when I started eating "normal" again (aka 3 meals a day) I ballooned up! So I figured out my numbers, and I'm looking great again, with lots of energy, no crabbiness, lifting weights, and damn proud of myself. I look much better fit than I did skinny fat too.

By the way: MFP puts EVERYONE at 1200 when you want to lose 2 lbs per week. Doesn't mean it's right, scientific, or anything. I have no idea why they do that, it's a dangerous and stupid thing to suggest. It suggested 1200 for me; I calculated my BMR (basal metabolic rate- what it takes to keep me breathing and my heart pumping, organs alive, etc) and it's 1375!! How can 1200 sustain me? Answer is, it can't. I've been thinking for a while that all of us concerned folk should petition MFP to have a *real* BMR/ RMR/ TDEE calculator so that the newbies don't get mislead into dangerous feats with their poor metabolisms.

We care about all of you! Really! I hate to see you all disappointed in 1 year when that fast weight loss boomerangs back on you, leaving you in despair. Happened to me. Educate yourself, do it right the first time.
    Sincerely
    Greenmeena
  • ninababie2
    ninababie2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow. Lots of post saying the same thing here but I need to reiterate.

I've lost weight 3 times eating 1200 calories...what does that tell you? Sure it works. But you can't eat 1200 calories forever. It screws your metabolism and puts you on an unhealthy yoyo dieting cycle.

You feel full after a long time eating 1200 calories because your body adapts to it, but it isn't actually getting what it needs. The RDA is based on 2000 calories because that is how much we need to eat to get all our essential nutrients.
  • BoneDevil
    BoneDevil Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Foremost, these are MY results with the whole 1,200 calories matter- I'm not nutritionally educated enough to recommend anything to anyone, so take it with a grain of salt.

The first time I lost a significant amount of weight (235 to 165 - and for the record, I'm 5'10), I did so eating around 1,200 a day. I was seventeen at the time and lost the weight gradually, over the course of about two years. I combined it with cardio exercise, pilates, and some light weights and had fantastic results- however, I filled those 1,200 calories with as many fruits, veggies, and lean proteins as possible. When I eat that little, I make every calorie count and try not to toss them out on processed foods.

I found my own way around the minuscule number in which I could be satisfied. For breakfast, I often had my favorite blended drink (1 small banana, 1/2 cup of almond milk, and a teaspoon of cinnamon or dark unsweetened cocoa powder.) or a piece of fruit with honey. Lunch would be a big kale/baby spinach salad with a small amount of dressing and a handful of nuts. Dinner would be fish, a small lean steak, or grilled chicken with veggies on the side. Very few times would my meals surpass 300 calories, unless we went out to eat- and even then I would scrounge up the nutritional information online and find the low-calorie menu whenever possible. By being creative with my fruits/veggies/protein, my meals were filling and I didn't feel as though I was starving.

I had success with that- my skin cleared up, I maintained my weight for years following a similar pattern, and rarely binged due to being content with my food choices. My main consequence was becoming too hung up on the numbers, and I've heard of numerous people feeling it necessary to dip their required calories lower and lower once they're used to 1,200. Depending on who's following the plan, it could be playing with fire. I wouldn't go around brazenly recommending it- just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. As indicated by quite a few responses, some bodies will not take well to it.

I gained about 20 lbs. of my weight back over the 2012 holidays due to me tossing my routine out the window and eating whatever the hell I wanted- to unreasonable proportions. I don't think I turned down anything sweet or decadent!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Some people are mentioning maintaining goal weight after being on 1200 cals. I look at it this way - if the person goes back to eating the way they were before losing the weight, of course they'll gain. Likely the way they were eating before was over their maintenance calories, after all that's how they got overweight in the first place. Even going to your maintenance cals suddenly might cause some gain initially. When I get to goal weight I plan to go up to my new maintenance cals gradually, increasing by 100 cal increments over a period of time. Shouldn't balloon up that way.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wow. Lots of post saying the same thing here but I need to reiterate.

I've lost weight 3 times eating 1200 calories...what does that tell you? Sure it works. But you can't eat 1200 calories forever. It screws your metabolism and puts you on an unhealthy yoyo dieting cycle.

You feel full after a long time eating 1200 calories because your body adapts to it, but it isn't actually getting what it needs. The RDA is based on 2000 calories because that is how much we need to eat to get all our essential nutrients.

No. The RDA is based on (a) men, who are used as the 'norm' even though there are large gender differences involved and (b) represent an "average" height/weight/age - meaning there's a normal distribution around that number. Nutritional requirements scale with size, age, etc. I'm 55-pushing-56, 5' 1/2", and my goal really is about 1200 calories (1250) to lose, but only 1350 or so to maintain.
  • Laurenac28
    Laurenac28 Posts: 1
    Options
    Personally, I try to stay around the 1200 mark but I think it has more to do with what types of foods your are eating... not just the number of calories... I try to consume a lot of protein and really watch my salt and sugar intake... The protein really seems to keep me from getting hungry.... I also work out a minimum of 4 times a week (usually burning around 800-950 calories)... I started to really work at this around the beginning of march and I am currently down 23 pounds (9.5 since I joined my fitness pal).
  • rosemaryhon
    Options
    ...Those who argue most fervently for it are those who are in the midst of starving off the pounds...

I sincerely hope I don't come across as arguing fervently in favor of 1200 calories daily! Because I honestly see the point being made from the other side. For *me* I believe it makes sense because 1. I'm short, 2. I'm post-menopause with a naturally decreasing appetite (so I notice in myself), and 3. I'm quite sedentary (my exercise is usually a brisk walk with my dog). I absolutely agree 1200 is not for everyone! And I appreciate reading the valuable info to the contrary.

So I can't speak of long term.

With that said I offer anyone to look at my (open) diary and tell me it seriously appears I am "starving off the pounds".

As I said, I looked at the diaries of those who share the more calorie POV (not many have open ones), and I gotta say none (of the few I've seen) seem to be truly *eating* more than me. I've seen increased calories due to beer (I had 2 myself tonight LOL), lots of chocolate, sugary cereal, canned veggies, fast food ~ but honestly none impressed me as to having more healthy food volume than I eat.
  • imaloverkayla
    Options
    I have actually found that it is difficult for me to maintain 1200 calories a day, not because it's not enough, but because it is too much. I have trouble meeting that goal every day, and if I do get to it I am super full and don't feel like eating breakfast the next morning. I am also only 4'11", so that could have something to do with it. But I think everyone should find what works for them and work it! Everybody is different, so what works for one person may not work for another.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    see my ticker.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!