why eat back calories???

Options
1234568»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So many special snowflakes in this thread.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I follow my body and how I feel.

If I have a killer workout and I'm feeling famished, I will likely eat some of my calories back....usually not all. I use a HRM to determine my calories burned and then I log 90% of what that calculation is into MFP. If I burn 800 calories between my 2 workouts, I will likely end up eating about 1700 calories that day (daily goal is 1500) because I will be hungry. If i'm only doing 1 workout that day, I will just eat my 1500. It seems to be working for me...
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This thread is great. Someone add me to your friends. I need some tough love.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I tried eating mine back, and gained 3 lbs........stopped eating them back again, and lost the 3 lbs I gained...some people swear by eating the calories back, but it didn't work for me at all !!

All that means is that your numbers are wrong.

If eating back your exercise calories is causing you to gain weight then you aren't at the deficit you think you are.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    This of it this way people: You want to eat the most amount of calories you possibly can, while still being able to lose at a reasonable pace... thats all there is to it.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    This of it this way people: You want to eat the most amount of calories you possibly can, while still being able to lose at a reasonable pace... thats all there is to it.

Yes but some people obviously struggle with this concept....
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Find out what works for you. Unfortunately, coming here for advice will only keep you guessing at what direction to take. Try eating back for a month and try not eating them back for a month. Whichever one works best for you stick to it!!! In the end the only things that matter are that you want to lose weight, you do it safely, and you enjoy it!!

Oh and don't be afraid to mix it up either, variety is the spice of life!!
    thanks this is what i decided to try and see what happens :) i also adjusted my cals last night to 1560 since i am pretty active so i can see if i will be affected by eating more. and thanks for everyones information its all alot to take in :):flowerforyou:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Take time to learn your body and stop stressing over is the scale moved. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Find out what works for you. Unfortunately, coming here for advice will only keep you guessing at what direction to take. Try eating back for a month and try not eating them back for a month. Whichever one works best for you stick to it!!! In the end the only things that matter are that you want to lose weight, you do it safely, and you enjoy it!!

Oh and don't be afraid to mix it up either, variety is the spice of life!!
    thanks this is what i decided to try and see what happens :) i also adjusted my cals last night to 1560 since i am pretty active so i can see if i will be affected by eating more. and thanks for everyones information its all alot to take in :):flowerforyou:

Here is my suggestion for you. Slowly increase your calories over the next few months. Maybe like 50 cals per week. Either by eating more or working out less.

What is going to happen after eating so few calories is you ARE going to gain weight if you jump to a normal amount of calories. Then you will be another one of these people that says "eating more didnt work for me". It didnt work for them because their bodies have already been trying to adapt to eating so little. Once they try eating a normal amount of calories the body wants to store it because of the months of malnourishment they have put themselves through.

Give your body time to adapt to the increase in calories so you dont panic and go back to the unhealthy eating habits.

Good luck.
  • vaquera19
    vaquera19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OK, so there's a lot of bickering and negativity going on, but to all the people who've gotten quite passionate about what is healthy and what isn't, I do want to say thanks for your persistence :)

I was reading this thread and originally chose to believe what I wanted to believe - that eating 1200 calories a day and then burning off 500 of those (resulting in fantastic results during my first two weeks of using MFP or even exercising/dieting ever) was OK. Many of you have made valid points, though, that what I really need to be looking at is my net rather than total calories. After a day to think about what you've all said, I've decided I so need to eat more. I just wanted to say thanks for preventing me from messing my body up instead of getting it in shape at a sustainable pace. :)
  • katherine611
    katherine611 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That is the best advise to offer other members and that is to be sure to consume protein. It helps to full.:bigsmile:
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options

Take time to learn your body and stop stressing over is the scale moved. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Couldn't agree with you more. Everyone wants a quick fix rather than do the hard work, I think that is often the root of the problem. They seem to think the more they restrict intake the quicker they will lose the fat, then when this approach doesn't work **** hits the fan lol
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread goes on for miles lol..but very interesting and I think I will start eating back my calories on workout days to bring my NET calories upto 1200.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    :)