What do you count as 'water'?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Nothing. The notion that you need 8 glasses of pure water is a myth.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I count plain water, ice tea, and water w/ the zero calorie flavoring things. I don't track it like "I have to do this for good health!" So much as I'm a data nerd so since it's easy to track w/in MFP I track it w/ everything else. I don't log my coffee though b/c I drink it black- if on occasion I add creamer to it or by a frou frou coffee- those I track as food not as water.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water. I have a seperate heading to log other things such as coffee, tea, diet soda, diet tonic water, 0 calorie flavored waters, milk, half and half, and alcoholic beverages, etc.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've slacked in my water counting recently but when I was keeping track I counted any drinks that I put the water into myself. For example, when I made tea, water with crystal light, protein drinks with water, etc. I would not count juices, coffee, bought tea, etc. I was always exceeding 8 cups a day without trying so I stopped logging it as it was a waste of time for me.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think whatever helps you achieve your goals. If getting enough fluid in a day is an issue, like it is for me, then count all those things. If you want to increase the amount of pure water you drink then just log pure water.

I log the following as water - water (doh), tea, diet soft drinks, flavoured water, the extra cup of water I thin my soup down with. I also include anything with calories in the diary.

I don't count coffee or alcohol (and don't drink those hardly anyway). I don't count milk either and I don't drink fruit juices.

As a notoriously bad drinker of any sort of liquid, logging helps me to keep up a better intake. It encourages me to have another drink so I can push that little up arrow. :wink:

Cheers! :)
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. I count water, unsweetened tea, and flavored packets added to water, as "water". If anything else goes in (sugar, creamer, etc) that has any calories / carbs it no longer counts.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I count water. That's it.
  • kath2810
    kath2810 Posts: 93
    Options
    I agree, just water
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    <<<<beer counts if its next to a water can¡
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. I count water, unsweetened tea, and flavored packets added to water, as "water". If anything else goes in (sugar, creamer, etc) that has any calories / carbs it no longer counts.
    Why do calories prevent it from hydrating?
  • Crazy_Diet_Mom
    Options
    Personally, my choice is caffeine free, sodium free, calorie free - so water, Clear carbonated / flavored water, black decaf coffee and plain decaf tea.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I count water as water. That includes tap water, bottled water, and rain water. Anything added, and it isn't water anymore.:noway:
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. I don't really drink anything else. It is only 8 glasses a day so it should probably just be pure water that is counted. Nothing wrong with drinking other liquids but to me they don't count.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This was actually one of the questions on my final in my dietetic class this past semester. The general rule of thumb is to count all juices, coffees and teas, caffeinated or decaffeinated, with your water count. You, of course, still need to account for the added calories in these liquids.

Years ago I decided I never really felt hydrated when I drank juice by itself, even a large amount of fresh juice, so I would drink water before having it. I find that with things like soy milk and almond milk too. If I was already thirsty these things did not make me feel less thirsty. That is just me though.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. Anything else gets logged like it should because water is the only thing with 0 calories.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This was actually one of the questions on my final in my dietetic class this past semester. The general rule of thumb is to count all juices, coffees and teas, caffeinated or decaffeinated, with your water count. You, of course, still need to account for the added calories in these liquids.

Years ago I decided I never really felt hydrated when I drank juice by itself, even a large amount of fresh juice, so I would drink water before having it. I find that with things like soy milk and almond milk too. If I was already thirsty these things did not make me feel less thirsty. That is just me though.

It is not just you.

If I have anything other than water, I feel more thirsty, not less. Mostly because of the sugar content, I believe. I get dry mouth and feel like I am dying of thirst after having a Coke or something similar. The water in it might hydrate you, but the other ingredients surely don't.

But like I said before, I don't count water anyway. I just drink the stuff to the point of hydration and don't worry about it beyond that.
  • misssophieleigh
    misssophieleigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think its best to to count Water as simply Water. No funny flavored stuff.

Agreed!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options

Glad to hear this!

:devil: Darn Liquid Calories anyhow!!
  • bigmickeylover
    bigmickeylover Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I count water and hot tea since I don't add anything to it.