Clueless people in the gym

Options

Replies

• Tiffyholli
    Tiffyholli Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    At my gym some of the members show me how do it properly if i'm not doing it correctly. This is why I love my gym, not everyone who starts out knows what they're doing, maybe instead of judging them you can help them by showing them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    And THAT's why I don't go to the torture chamber....er....gym.

I do get what you're saying, because every time one of these threads happens I think "who are these people that spend their gym time judging everyone and what are they thinking about me?" But you shouldn't let the possibility of being judged deter you from bettering yourself. Screw those people, just go and do your thing. It gets much less uncomfortable the more you go.
  • Elvisfan4life
    Elvisfan4life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My nephew is a personal trainer and he is always on his phone and texting...each to their own
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think each and every one of us were clueless at one point.
    True but I also wish that someone would have helped me- I like the idea of a trainer who cares!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ma3zmfV1ou1rzhv5ho1_500.gif

I am loving ALL of your gifs lately. I've stolen probably half a dozen from you since you've been back. :flowerforyou:
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    At my gym some of the members show me how do it properly if i'm not doing it correctly. This is why I love my gym, not everyone who starts out knows what they're doing, maybe instead of judging them you can help them by showing them.

Obviously, OP was only referring to unattractive people. You're a blatant exception. :flowerforyou: JUST KIDDING, people. Don't ream me.

hah- Everyone needs help sometimes- I had to ask someone how to put the platform up to change the assisted dips/pullup machine from dips --> pullups. Apparently it was quite simple, but I still had to ask- and I'm no noobie to the gym :-)
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    To anyone that is worried about the gym being a 'torture chamber':

Just go and see if your nearest gym will let you take in a guest workout. You'll quickly notice that everyone is too busy doing their own thing to really be judging you. I would say 95%+ of the people in there remember what it's like for a beginner so they're not going to bother you.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    People who think they know it all usually have the most to learn.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I wish I had time to pay attention/care about what other people were doing at the gym...the only time I get annoyed at another gym member texting is when they are doing it on a machine I am waiting for or leaning in the squat rack, in which case I do something else to fill the time or ask them to jump in. If they have time to text between sets, whatever, but I am on a mission to get 'er done.

I agree gyms could do a better job of having someone on the floor just walking around assisting people, at least during peak times.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the importance of proper form!

Can someone please educate me on why "machines" are bad?

I have a trainer and we rarely work with machines. Just wondering...
    They have their place. Free weights allow you more ROM naturally because not every machine "fits" every type of body. Also, you have to incorporate more stabilizers with free weights. And IMO most important of all is that people who only rely on machines to work out are screwed if that particular machine gets monopolized, goes down, or is no longer available.
    Kinda like learning to drive. If you can learn a manual transmission (free weights) then learning on an automatic (machines) will be easy. Much harder the other way around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. I had HORRIBLE form starting out. I'm lucky I'm a young guy. I could of did some serious damage to my lower back doing some of the things I did back in my early 20s. I think anyone that starts lifting needs to have some guide or expert with them the very first day. I'm still not 100% HAPPY with my form but I no longer feel the pain I used to feel.

In a strange way your body KNOWS when your form is off. It may not tell you the first day...but if you keep up the bad form the body will tell you loud and clear :)

*Friends don't let Friends lift alone!*
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    I noticed the other day as I was working out that of the 10 or so people I saw lifting weights, only eight of them (myself included, of course) appeared to have any idea as to what they were doing. By this I mean using proper form, avoiding machines, etc. Seems to me like my gym could be doing their members a favor by just stationing a trainer over there whose job is to show people how to do things correctly in order to avoid injuries and loss of motivation because they aren't getting the results they expect.

I've done a lot over the years to try to educate myself on how to do things right in terms of form, and I think that is why I've only been injured twice in 20 years of gym time. Seeing people get all fired up about squating their body weight and then doing about 1/4th of the squat motion and calling it a set can be kind of annoying after a while.

Also, every Smith machine should be taken outside and put out of its misery.

And don't even get me started on people who text between sets in a gym that has only two squat racks.

OK, rant over.

this mind set is why I have yet to get the courage to go to the gym... there's only so much reading about it can help, it's much different to remember proper form when you've got the weight right there...

maybe i'll try to hit the gym when i'm smaller and a trainer is less likely to over look me because of my flab.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    People who think they know it all usually have the most to learn.

THIS
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day as I was working out that of the 10 or so people I saw lifting weights, only eight of them (myself included, of course) appeared to have any idea as to what they were doing. By this I mean using proper form, avoiding machines, etc. Seems to me like my gym could be doing their members a favor by just stationing a trainer over there whose job is to show people how to do things correctly in order to avoid injuries and loss of motivation because they aren't getting the results they expect.

I've done a lot over the years to try to educate myself on how to do things right in terms of form, and I think that is why I've only been injured twice in 20 years of gym time. Seeing people get all fired up about squating their body weight and then doing about 1/4th of the squat motion and calling it a set can be kind of annoying after a while.

And don't even get me started on people who text between sets in a gym that has only two squat racks.

OK, rant over.

And how many times have you offered them some pointers so they could improve their form, get results, and avoid injury? Are you part of the problem, or the solution?
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    This is exactly what prompted me to hire a personal trainer. I was able to learn proper form and then apply it to my own workouts. While I agree that free weights are the best way to go, I think sometimes it's just easier to go to the machines because you might not have a spotter!
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do my elliptical and pushups (and I know I have good form there), but I truly am clueless on how to do squats or any of that stuff involving barbells, so I stick to the Cybex machines. I am afraid of looking like an idiot and I don't want to bother the staff to have them show me, so I just do what I know. :) LOL.

Ditto!! =) I use the cardio and Cybex machines that I know how to use for that same reason!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

OK, rant over.

What would you like someone to do during a break between sets? I keep myself busy texting, I find it great. I'd rather do that than watch everyone else gym and critique behind their back on a website. If you're not helping them yourself, why complain?
  • Rikki_Sixx
    Rikki_Sixx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I almost certainly fall into the category of "that guy who doesn't really know what he's doing" - sadly, when I asked my gym for some sort of help, they told me their staff don't do that, in case something goes wrong.

In a way, it's put me off. I was of the mindset that "at least I'm not on the couch, I'm giving it a go", but knowing there's folks in the gym who are judgmental doesn't help.

Maybe go offer help to those guys. I know I'd appreciate it if it was me.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    To anyone that is worried about the gym being a 'torture chamber':

Just go and see if your nearest gym will let you take in a guest workout. You'll quickly notice that everyone is too busy doing their own thing to really be judging you. I would say 95%+ of the people in there remember what it's like for a beginner so they're not going to bother you.

Like the OP?
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    And THAT's why I don't go to the torture chamber....er....gym.

ignorant

Rude and unnecessary.

Some gyms have some very judgmental members- that's who I would call ignorant. Who are they to judge someone else's level of fitness or knowledge. If they have a problem with it, help them out or keep their mouths shut.

ETA: Not everyone in the gym is like that. I'm particularly friendly/receptive and attempt to be helpful to other members.
    That's what I was thinking... If a person is so "elitest" about the "right way" to do things, then maybe they should offer THEIR help!