Are people crazy or do I have an eating disorder?

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like an eating disorder to me...but I suppose it could look like one to some other people. You are a bit...um, well the term is anal I guess...about it, but if that's what's gotten you to healthy success, that's perfectly ok. Some people need more structure and you're one of them. Nothing wrong or sick about that at all.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this "disorder."

Or maybe we could call it "well-organized, self-disciplined, successful behavior."
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    As long as you aren't obsessive (meaning, if you miss a day or if you overeat, you go totally crazy and restrict the next day, or workout until you've burned off all the calories you've eaten) I see no reason to believe you have an eating disorder.

Often dedication is mistaken as obsession. I think your friends might just be jealous, or they can't understand why you would spend so much time focusing on what you eat. Either way, I'm sure you're fine! :)
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    They lack the knowledge / are jealous / wishing they'd be you.

Go you and keep doing what are doing! Your health is yours.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    :tongue: nope, you're just an ocd control freak!
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    That's not an eatin disorder at all. I've lost 21 lbs in the last 3 months from exercise and a healthier diet. I eat almost 1500 cals before exercise calories, though I don't eat all my exercise back and some days not at all. I rarely drink as I have an 18 month old. I've stopped soda for the most part because its just not healthy dieting or not. I also weigh and measure all my food at home and eat whatever I want whenever I want as long as its within my calories. And sometimes when I just have to have it I still eat it. I'm not binging and purging, I'm not starving myself. From the sounds of it you're completely healthy.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If that's an eating disorder, then this site might as well be renamed to "MyEatingDisorderPal" because we're all in the same boat. You're fine, monitoring your intake is normal amongst those who are trying to become/stay healthy, athletic, strong, etc..

Let me guess, the ladies who accused you of having an eating disorder, are they "bigger", maybe?

This gave me a great giggle! But its very true!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I used to throw up my food after eating it. That is an eating disorder. Being careful, planning your food, weighing it (portion control) and thinking about it 24/7 is called taking control. Good on you, haters gonna hate.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't think it sounds anything like an eating disorder. Sounds to me like you are very organized which is a good thing.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never thought I'd get such an outpouring of support. Thanks everyone!

I started at 173 so I'm down to 143. I'm 5'4" so this is a good weight for me (lowest I've ever been, even in high school). I'm trying to transition to maintenance so I'm upping calories and whatnot to try to find a steady state. It is harder than I thought! I am looking forward to maintenance! I enjoy planning my meals so will probably keep it up.

Also, if I end up not being able to weigh things I don't freak out and it doesn't cause anxiety!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think that all sounds really healthy. Yeah, you might like control a bit much, but that's part of your personality. They might be jealous, or feel threatened by your losses (really, your gains!).

Agreed. I am the same way (a bit OCD here), but after a year or so on MFP, I have learned to eye ball what a cup looks like, so I am not always relying on a scale or measuring cups. I still look at menus ahead of time and I still try to plan ahead, but I allso give myself breaks here and there. It might take you a bit more practice in terms of roughly how many cals you are having for lunch and not have to log it in advance or measure everything, but this is far from having an eating disorder.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Taking control of your eating and the way you are doing it, in a healthy manner, is in no way an eating disorder. So if you portrayed it correctly in your post, you are fine and if they are overweight, they are jealous. If they aren't overweight, they are jerks who just aren't happy for you and your hard earned accomplishment.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is me and my husband exactly! So I guess we have a problem too! :laugh: lol! I think they are saying that because they feel bad about not taking care of themselves...so of course YOU have a problem. Let it roll! You are sounding good to me! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You sound like me when I was losing, so I hope you don't have one!

Don't worry, people said the same about me at work, especially when I wouldn't stear from my plan. Ignore everyone and keep kicking butt!
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do the same or similar things -- it helps me stay on track.
  • MRL1107
    MRL1107 Posts: 74
    Options
    What? You do not have an eating disorder, you might be a control freak because you are so well planned, but I see nothing wrong with that! :) Continue on girl, I'd say you're doing great!

^ THIS!!!! You're doing great, I wish I was this planned and disciplined!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    ugh just ignore them, you are doing great and I don't see anything even remotely close to an ED in your habits you mentioned. Probably just bored gossiping hens who don't really know what they're talking about.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Nothing you said sounds like any eating disorder I've ever heard of.
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you have an eating disorder, then so do I because you've just described me as well. (Aside from the alcohol - I still drink).
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say you have an ED. Try not to assume the worst about your co-workers. Before I started on my journey, I tended to also make assumptions that my friends or family were getting a bit too obsessed with food when they were dieting, but it all came from my own ignorance. It's hard to understand the actions of people if you haven't experienced the same thing, so they might not be able to empathize with what you are doing.

It sounds like you're a bit controlling, but then again a lot of us are. Personally, I'm a bit OCD in most aspects of my life, so it definitely carries over to my diet/exercise habits. Unless your habits are interfering with your life or physical/emotional/mental health, then I wouldn't be concerned. Control and diligence does not equal an eating disorder. If you think about it, there are a lot of people who do suffer from eating disorders who behave in a totally different way. Just because some may act in a similar way, does not mean that you have a problem.