Would you date someone considerably less intelligent?

Options

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Nope, couldn't do it.

My ex was slightly less intelligent. :p But not a lot. He still went to university and all that. Not saying THAT makes him smart or anything, hahah.

My bf is about as intelligent as me. Actually, he's probably a bit smarter than me :$, I hate to admit it. For example, I don't care at all about things like history, politics, etc. But my boyfriend is interested in those things. He has a very broad range of knowledge. I love my area of expertise, it works for me, but I like to stick to it.

I definitely couldn't deal with someone who wasn't around my intelligence level - a bit smarter, a bit dumber, that's all. I'm pretty smart, not rocket scientist or anything, but definitely smarter than most (and modest... :p). I just couldn't be with someone who was considerably less intelligent.
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options
    no. dumb girlz are only good for one thing
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Great detail about Joyce Carol Oates' husband. I can see how that is a good idea sometimes. Intimacy invites such comfort, but not all artists want to be critiqued by their loved ones . . .
    Yeah, but it's not because she doesn't want him to read her work. It's because he has no interest. But she's OK with that.
  • rml_16
    Options
    jessica-simpson-dancing.gif

^ This.

.... She's very pretty, no doubt. But half the time she doesn't know if she's eating chicken or fish. I would find that highly annoying. Looks only go so far. I need brain stimulation. All the rest is easy after that. I could not date an air-head or a deer in head lights. I don't care what the look like or how much money they make.
    Have you ever had a conversation with Jessica? I have. She's actually very intelligent. In fact, her "dumb" act was quite brilliant. She made a bloody fortune from it.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Since intelligence is so much more important than looks in dating, we can conclude that high IQ nerds therefore get laid way more often than your average muscle bound gym rat. Who would have guessed?.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

^ This.

.... She's very pretty, no doubt. But half the time she doesn't know if she's eating chicken or fish. I would find that highly annoying. Looks only go so far. I need brain stimulation. All the rest is easy after that. I could not date an air-head or a deer in head lights. I don't care what the look like or how much money they make.
    Have you ever had a conversation with Jessica? I have. She's actually very intelligent. In fact, her "dumb" act was quite brilliant. She made a bloody fortune from it.

I watched her reality show with Nick Lachey. Perhaps she plays it up some, but I am not buying she is that good of an actress.

Now Kelly Pickler is an example of someone that I believe was acting dumb when she was on Idol.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Where all my dumb chicks who like smart guys?! HOLLA!
  • rml_16
    Options

^ This.

I watched her reality show with Nick Lachey. Perhaps she plays it up some, but I am not buying she is that good of an actress.

Now Kelly Pickler is an example of someone that I believe was acting dumb when she was on Idol.

And, again, have you ever actually MET the woman? I met her. I spoke to her. I interviewed her. I sat in a room with other reporters also interviewing her and listened. When it was over, my daughter and another little girl had some one-on-one time with her and got their pictures taken and autographs and then we watched her perform.

She is not stupid. Perhaps, just perhaps, a little acting, a little planning and some clever editing gave you the impression you had. And they did that ON PURPOSE.

When you have had a conversation with a human being and not just watched a "reality" show (none of them are actually real, BTW, and if you believe that you are probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer) then you can comment on that person's intelligence.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I may be shallow in this regard, but no. I couldn't date someone less intelligent than me. I think I can handle all kinds of physical flaws (well, not the mustacio), but a lack of intelligence really bothers me.

It's not just intelligence, though. He doesn't just need to know things. He also has to have an understanding of people and culture and a sense of humor that isn't just slapstick. And (this is where the brainy nerds usually fail) he must be confident enough in himself to be kind and friendly.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    The need for intelligence is inversely proportional to how good looking he is.

(For DATING, I mean. I could never have a serious relationship with someone who is significantly less intelligent than me.)
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    blog2pic11-23-09_zps34af051a.jpg
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Most intelligent guys I know have very little common sense. It seems to be one of the other.

But who needs common sense in a date/spouse? Not me.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options

^ This.

I've never met her, but I have to admit she is probably a smart cookie. She has had her own TV show, clothing line, singing career, all sorts of crap.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah absolutely, unintelligent people can be taught now the real psychos you have to watch out for are the ones who are devistatingly beautiful HOWEVER they have a personality disorder that leads them to live in their own reality thus making them completely unteachable among other things....yikes..
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I would not be in a relationship with someone considerably less OR considerably more intelligent than myself. That would not be fun at all. You need to be close enough in intelligence to be able to discuss ideas and issues on a relatively equal playing field and to get each other's humor, ya know? I've been tested and rated in the top 15th percentile, so technically I'm less dumb than most people, but I still don't fit in with the top tier folk, and the lower bunch just doesn't thrill me. I :heart: all types of people, but I prefer to spend my quality time with a mate who is intellectually compatible.
  • GnomeLove
    Options
    I married a cheerleader..... Nuff said.

I married a football player...nuff said.

Yeah, same here. He is actually pretty smart in certain areas, but I would like someone I can sit down and discuss something other than politics and sports with. He is amazingly confident in himself though, even if he has no idea WTF he is talking about... so a lot of people end up second guessing themselves around him.
  • Nerdphiliac
    Nerdphiliac Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Equal or slightly greater intelligence. <3
  • GnomeLove
    Options
    My husband has a PhD and I just have a B.S., so I guess you can say he's more intelligent than me. But, then again I have more common sense. I tell him that he couldn't find his way out of a paper bag with a map and a flashlight, and that's why he has me around. He's smart enough to agree with that.

Education =/= Intelligence

Some of the most intelligent people I know never set foot in college.

I definitely agree with you here.
  • GnomeLove
    Options
    I married a cheerleader..... Nuff said.

I married a football player...nuff said.

I'm seeing a great episode of "Wife Swap" in our future. :bigsmile:

**** yeah! I love Wife Swap.