30th time I have caught my husband stealing my pain meds!

Options

Replies

• Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I think most importantly, why are you asking strangers in an online weight loss forum what you should do with your husband/marriage? Seriously?!

There seems to be a trend here
  • passwar
    passwar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Will your kids be better off with a pill popping weekend dad, or in a home where you have some control?
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My dad has severe back pain and is prescribed serious pain killers that he has to take on a daily basis every few hours to even function. I understand that, so for all the people who are calling you a drug addict, ignore them. You know better than that. <3

Do you still love your husband? Is it possible that before jumping to divorce, you could sit down and discuss the possibility of him going to therapy for his addiction?

Maybe it's just me, but I would want to exhaust every option possible before getting a divorce. You said you had kids, right? That's really hard on them. You will do whatever works for you in the end!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    well that sucks....drugs are trickey when perscribed. Best of luck to you and to him.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husaband is a recovering addict. He was prescribed the meds because he was in chronic pain with his muscular dystrophy. Eventually he started abusing them. Amazingly, he's been off pain meds since 2007 when I told him I was going to divorce him if he didn't stop. He's still in pain, but not nearly as much as he convinced himself he was in when he was on pain meds.

Your husband is an addict. Addicts lie and steal. They only worry about their next high.

I think both of you need help.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    OMG the forums are full of morons today - Thanking you all for the entertainment! :laugh: :laugh:
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think most importantly, why are you asking strangers in an online weight loss forum what you should do with your husband/marriage? Seriously?!

Why are you so judgy? Sometimes an outside view of a situation is the most refreshing view of all. Get over yourself.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't trolling...

Your husband has an addiction issue, not a lying/stealing issue. Stop being a whining brat and try to get him some help ffs.

This is why I lose faith in humanity. People can't seem to deal with real life issues.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    30 times??? How long will you need to be on these pills? :/
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

Why are you so judgy? Sometimes an outside view of a situation is the most refreshing view of all. Get over yourself.

an outsde view about your husband stealing your pain meds? lets be serious.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options

LOL, just thought the exact same.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    There is no Chit-Chat, Fun, & Games here :(.

When did it become ok for people to not handle their business and just be like "let me log online and ask the entire Internet what to do?"

There is offensive because you're an idiot. You're just as bad as your husband. He needs help and you need to learn to lock your pills up.

common-sense-e1302495226830.jpg

Damn looking for this image let others post before me NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    30th Time. Ouch. Have you asked him about it? Are you sure it's him? How old are your kids? (Pain Meds are common drug to trade in schools now adays. If you kids are under Junior High then I'd say no worry with the kids. But 6th Grade up I'd look into them as well.). What is his excuse for them being gone?

You should have probably hid them the first time there were pills missing. But, that being said. If he's your husband, he's your husband for a reason. You love him. It's up to you, but if it were me I would give my man a chance. I would firstly prove that it was him (No one else in the house, kids are under the age of 12.) Then, I would research drug rehab programs. I would confront him and tell him he needs help and show him my research, give him options. These options would also include an ultimatum, Fix his problem or GTFO. But, I would give my man that chance instead of straight kick to the curb. But, only one. Because if he would keep sliding back into it after going to rehab and what not, then he clearly wouldn't love me or the kids enough to want to quit. =) That is what I would do.

Good Luck. I hope everything works out in your favor.
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For all the people that said "kick him to the curb" or "just because you married him doesn't mean you have to be the one to save him", you made my heart hurt. This is not her boyfriend it's the person she chose to spend the rest of her life with. I got the notion that the people that said that have never dealt with addiction and probably aren't married. If you are married it shocks me that you would end a life long relationship over the something that probably can be fixed.
  • IamBlackMamba
    IamBlackMamba Posts: 229
    Options
    i just reallllllly hope you aren't a troll. Really.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, he does need help.

But why did it take 30 times for you to be this frustrated and such?
    After you realized it the first time, you should have done something about it then.
    Not let it keep happening.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you have caught on after the first, oh, 29 times at least?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    And she's deactivated.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't trolling...

Your husband has an addiction issue, not a lying/stealing issue. Stop being a whining brat and try to get him some help ffs.

This is why I lose faith in humanity. People can't seem to deal with real life issues.

Dealing with "real life issues" in the moment is hard for everyone. Lying and stealing is just as much of an issue as the addiction, they are symptoms that put strain on the marriage and make it impossible to maintain trust-- a key component of any successful relationship.

Not really sure how her feelings of upset and helplessness in a time of personal trial makes you "lose faith in humanity".

She's finally realized that there is a huge problem in her relationship, and awareness is the first step to solving any problem. Whatever choices she makes are hers, and "right" and "wrong" are too subjective of words for what happens to bad relationships, but I'd say she's on the right track here.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Food for thought. Perscription pills can be a gateway drug for a more serious, cheaper and easier to obtain heroin addiction.
This discussion has been closed.