Getting fed up with bad forum etiquette

Options

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    4) Everyone likes a joke. Every joke in the entire world is at someone or something's expense. Some people use humour as a way of lightening the mood, some people just flatly enjoy humour more than serious debate. However, if you can't take a joke, then social networks are not for you.

How do you make a tissue dance? Put a lil boogie in it
    What do you call an alligator in a vest? an Investigator
    Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9
    What did the buffalo say to his son when he left? Bison

Boom! Mind blown.
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options
    aint gonna read all dat :|
  • sarahtonin015
    sarahtonin015 Posts: 193
    Options
    tumblr_lx7kj36jZD1qjnlpf_zps23b8d884.gif

I just want to bring attention to the fact that you're awesome for making a reference to Benedict Cumberbatch, even if unintentional. I like you.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    high-horse.jpg

:flowerforyou:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Gettin' real tired of your ****, MFP users.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You must be new to this whole internet thing.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    OP -- to be honest, I have joined and quit MFP 4 times because of the behavior on this site. Unfortunately, it is present on every social network/forum site. I have just accepted it (not that I condone it) because it's easier that way. I agree with a lot of your points, but people need to feel 'big' online and therefore have sh!tty attitudes and think it's funny. It's not. Whatever. I post to the forums on and off but avoid topics I know will be controversial.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If I have to reply daily to threads like this . . .

It's the same problem you have with any forum / email / text message / communication through technology ... you cannot tell the tone of voice someone is typing in and people take it the wrong way.

Deal with it and move on.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    internet_serious_business_zpsa71171f0.jpg
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    4) Everyone likes a joke. Every joke in the entire world is at someone or something's expense. Some people use humour as a way of lightening the mood, some people just flatly enjoy humour more than serious debate. However, if you can't take a joke, then social networks are not for you.

How do you make a tissue dance? Put a lil boogie in it
    What do you call an alligator in a vest? an Investigator
    Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9
    What did the buffalo say to his son when he left? Bison

Boom! Mind blown.

YES.

Although, I do feel the buffalo joke is discrimatory.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately behind the computer screen, people say and do things they would NEVER do in public....just move on past it and consider the source. Use MFP for its good points and chalk up ignorance to what it is.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm still a newbie on MFP. When I found the site - the food and exercise trackers, the forums - I instantly knew I could easily get addicted. I took part in some fun discussions, some great lively debates, some comedic exchanges, took a bit of support, gave a bit of support.

Over the last few days I'm not sure if I'm infuriated, saddened or disgusted. At a couple of points I found myself taking the bait and getting fired up, so I'm also now disappointed in myself.

Here's the MFP guidelines: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Here's what I believe should be considered good social network/forum etiquette

1) Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's an opinion, not a statement of fact, so it can't be wrong. No-one has the right to lambast someone for their opinion. Debate it, discuss it, disagree ... sure. Berate? No!

2) Before you quote someone else's comment, read it once, read it twice. Don't assume what other people are thinking or what they are implying. If it's not clear, check or at least bear it in mind in your post.

3) Respect that not everyone is at the same education level or life/fitness/health experience point as you. Some will be smarter, more aware. That's ok, respect it. Some will be less so, less aware. That's ok, respect it.

5) Understand opinion vs. fact. There are some things that are undeniable science, there are some things that are suggested to be consistent facts but not yet wholly proven, there are some things that are just what people choose to interpret, choose to believe and form opinions around. This is why forums exist - to learn, to share, to discuss.

6) Get your facts straight. Ensure you have educated yourself on the facts before you start making statements. Opinions - always ok. Statements - before you start questioning people's credibility, understand their credentials. Before you start quoting politics and law - read the motions and the events. Before you discuss technology, become familiar and educated about it first.

No problem to say what your findings are, what your experiences are, but don't tell me or anyone else what is fact if you have nothing to back it up with. If you choose not to get your facts straight, on your head be it, but respect people who are equipped to set you straight.

7) Respect the bravery. It doesn't matter how you feel, what you would do or what confidence level you have. People will often start topics looking for help, making personal declarations. That takes a lot for many people to do. It shouldn't be a problem to help them get on the right track by filling in knowledge gaps where they might exist, but there will be a lot of people on sites like MFP who have major confidence issues and insecurities.

Before you respond, question if you're responding to help, to share, to understand ... or to do damage.

Maybe I'm just drawn to the wrong subject headers for my own state of mind, but I'm going to give these forums another week before I isolate myself to the trackers. Just a week to see if it's just the phase of the moon or some such twaddle that's making a lot of pig ugly threads come to the surface.

This saddens me deeply!

Fortunately I haven't been subjected to any abuse but it's concerning you have!

I think the worst I received was being called a 3/10 lol

Hopefully after expressing this, things change for you :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Words typed at me by random strangers I will never interact with beyond this superficial, online forum, venue will ever bother me because they are random strangers typing words in an online forum.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIitvCu0yVGLKs0FD3__5V4OmVFl015bEakgEdhD74W-EwbBPsDw

1350495473825_3059885.png

3ocrfe.jpg

And finally
    so-sorry-meme-generator-i-m-sorry-i-m-so-sorry-cd3656.jpg

Thank you, and good day! :drinker:
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    ^^^ oh come on...
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    It entertained me for 0.5 seconds :)

Opinions are like ars**oles, everyone has one. Then again some people are just plain ars**holes, you kinda get this where ever you are online/offline.

I dont pander to people in real life, and i dont pander to people online. Then again, i dont try and correct everyone either, unlike some.

Most times i will rise above it, sometimes, like other humans i dont, i bite back. This is human nature.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    oer6p.png
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    When I was little, every time I got a bruise or a scrape, I would keep poking it and fiddling with it. I would look at my mom, poke the injury, and say, "Mom, it hurts when I do this!" My mom would reply, "Well, then don't do that." You would think common sense would dictate for me to just stop poking it, and yet, I kept right on going, and guess what? It still hurt every time.

The forums are a lot like that.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think of this forum (and any other semi-public forum) as being like a huge party.

You walk around the room, you listen to various conversations, you join a few, and pass on others.

I take forum comments in the same spirit. There are conversations I take a pass on, there are conversations I join.

And, frequently, there are people who I invite over ...... I wouldn't be feeling as optimistic about reaching my goals as I do without the support of my MPF friends.

Democracy---and forums are a good example of democracy---- are crazy messy, loud, rude, thoughtless, thoughtful, cruel and gentle.
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    16626.gif

All I have to say