Critique my Lifting Plan

Options
2»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    5 x 5 for calves? I'd stick to a 8-12 range for calves, biceps, and triceps.

Squats & Deadlifts on the same day-so you're doing heavy Squats 4x a week? I'd do Squats on Push Day and Deadlifts on Pull Day. x2 a week going heavy on Squats & Deadlifts is more than enough (if not too much)
    I agree with this. Drop the squats on pull day.

Agree as well. Calf work is okay but 5x5 is probably not ideal for that, 8-12 or even 10-12.

Start with Deadlifts, whatever style you prefer, and then since you're doing upper back in there throw some moderate rep Snatch Grip Deadlifts in there and then maybe drop the Cable Rows. The Snatch Grip Deadlifts in addition to be good on leg work actually hits your upper back really really well, was shocked myself.

Also, since you're doing barbell rows consider dropping them for high-rep for DB Kroc Rows.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Since none of this was listed, I am assuming you don't know anything about weight training
    Gotta love people like this on fitnesspal....

At least your biceps are strong, good compensation for your brain being weak.

An experienced lifter would know that sets, reps and percentage of 1rm were necessary to determine the competancy with which their routine was put together. Because of your comment I am also assuming that you don't know anything about weight training, or me for that matter.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    There isn't enough information written down to indicate whether or not it is a good lifting plan. We need weights, percentages, reps, sets and goals. Since none of this was listed, I am assuming you don't know anything about weight training and therefore shouldn't be making your own training program. Stick with something simple and proven until you learn the ropes. Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

Squats - 195
    OHP - 95
    bench press - 135
    barbell row - 115
    deadlift - 225
    curls - 65
    tri push downs - 50
    lat pull down - 70
    seated rows - 120
    leg press - 260
    Based on these lifts I would either continue on Stronglifts, Starting strength or The Texas Method.

He's not ready for the Texas Method. Definitely stronglifts or starting strength. He still didn't say how many reps he hits these lifts for but it really doesn't matter. Even if he can do them for sets of ten he's still really, really weak and has a lot of linear progression left in him before he needs a periodized program like The Texas Method.

OP, Stronglifts and lots of food.

Thanks for another ****ish response. Clearly stated reps and set in the first post.

...and then he stated in a later post that he was not using 5x5 for all exercises
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Since none of this was listed, I am assuming you don't know anything about weight training

An experienced lifter would know that sets, reps and percentage of 1rm were necessary to determine the competancy with which their routine was put together. Because of your comment I am also assuming that you don't know anything about weight training, or me for that matter.

Well thanks for all the help pal, I'll take it into co side ration as I move forwars
  • Loftearmen
    Options

Well thanks for all the help pal, I'll take it into co side ration as I move forwars

It really is amazing how this thread went. You ask a question about your strength training program, a competitive lifter with several years experience gives you advice and instead of heeding that advice you mock the lifter. With that attitude you will go nowhere fast, buddy. Maybe next you should go ask a homeless guy how to get rich.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey All, I jsut recently changed up my lifting routine from StrongLifts 5x5 to a push/ pull split and was looking for advice/ critiques on this new plan. I'm hitting the gym 3-4 times a week and Im alternating bewteeen the 2 routines. I have been doing 5 sets of 5 reps for all exercises. Thanks!

Routine 1
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Shoulder Press
    Incline Bench Barbells
    Calf Raises
    Tri Push Down
    Leg Press

Routine 2
    Squat
    Seated Rows
    Lat Pull Down
    Bi Curls
    T Bar Row
    Trap Dead Lift

I'd substitute either the seated rows or T bar row for some regular deadlifts or stiff legged deadlifts (with hips kept higher and lighter weight). The trap dead lift is almost duplicating squats and you should try to get some posterior chain work so as to keep your spine well supported with all basis covered.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    do 5/3/1 BBB. if you cant do pullups/chinups you REALLY should work on that...
  • JNick77
    Options

It really is amazing how this thread went. You ask a question about your strength training program, a competitive lifter with several years experience gives you advice and instead of heeding that advice you mock the lifter. With that attitude you will go nowhere fast, buddy. Maybe next you should go ask a homeless guy how to get rich.

Would you expect a different response? This is MFP, it's just how things go anymore. It's frustrating as hell and you have a ton more experience than I do, must be really frustrating for you.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This is great!

Ask a question, get a really good response from someone who clearly knows what they are talking about, then insult them.

Just for double lolz, in the insult point out that they are not smart, but at least they are big and strong, when the question is about how to become big and strong, thus qualifying them to be perfect for answering the question.

Although suggesting that knowledge of % of 1RPM is useful for planning a routine is not evidence of someone not being smart, in fact quite the opposite, I would say.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OP... there are a lot of programs out there, including strong lifts and 5/3/1. these programs have been developed by people much smarter than anyone here and with a ton of experience and have done all the trial-and-error for you.

you're better off following a pre-existing plan. even wendler lays out a way to break down 5/3/1 into a two-day split.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    There isn't enough information written down to indicate whether or not it is a good lifting plan. We need weights, percentages, reps, sets and goals. Since none of this was listed, I am assuming you don't know anything about weight training and therefore shouldn't be making your own training program. Stick with something simple and proven until you learn the ropes. Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

Squats - 195
    OHP - 95
    bench press - 135
    barbell row - 115
    deadlift - 225
    curls - 65
    tri push downs - 50
    lat pull down - 70
    seated rows - 120
    leg press - 260

Your ratio of curls/OHP to benchpress is remarkable.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I would help, but clearly I am too much of a meathead to help you become more of a meathead.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    I would help, but clearly I am too much of a meathead to help you become more of a meathead.

That's okay, you're MY meathead ironanimal ;)
  • JNick77
    Options
    OP... there are a lot of programs out there, including strong lifts and 5/3/1. these programs have been developed by people much smarter than anyone here and with a ton of experience and have done all the trial-and-error for you.

Not sure but I have a feeling that Wendler would respect Loftearmen's opinions and experience.

Agreed, don't try and create some makeshift program based on your limited experience. Use something that is tried-and-true by somebody that has forgotten more about strength training then you'll probably ever learn.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bloody hell squats and bench same day - you have strong body mate! After I am finished with squats I'm too knackered for other compound exercises hahah such a fail I am! :bigsmile:
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Nuff said.

Loftearmen, I'm on your side. I would gladly take any powerlifting advice from you.

Lift Big, Eat Big!