Ideal size for tall girls?

Options

Replies

• Lisa8500
    Lisa8500 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi fellow tall girls! So excited to find this board! I am six feet tall and currently weigh 168! This is the heaviest I have been since early my freshman year of college. My thinnest was 152 and I was very very thin. I wore a 4-6 in women's clothing at that point, and barely filled out a 32 B cup. I was very strong and muscular, however, and thought I looked awesome at the time, although my boyfriend (now husband) and parents were always very concerned about me. I ran 4 miles a day and probably ate around 1500 calories and downed caffeine to keep my body going. Not sustainable for me.

It is now 7 years later, and as an adult who works full time and is taking birth control pills (I don't care what people say, I didn't have an ounce of cellulite on my thighs until I started taking the darn things and I am always SO hungry) I am fairly content with my size 12. I have a nice hour glass shape and wear a 34 DD. My measurements are 39-30-41. I eat when I am hungry and go to the gym a few times a week. My husband loves that I am more endowed (although admittedly would prefer a smaller stomach--we can't have it all, I suppose).

I would like to get down to about 162--this is the point that i felt my healthiest. I do have large bones, however, so when I weigh less i always look more severe than I think I should (bones jutting out everywhere), and if I get much below 160 I start looking rather bony and all my curves diminish.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm just shy of 5'11" - I love reading these threads :)

When I first started losing weight, all I wanted was to be out of plus size. I couldn't imagine weighing under 180 - I had been that weight before and thought anything lower would be "too thin." When I was at that weight, I wore 12-14 and was good with it. I didn't think I would get smaller.

Then reality set in and I got fit. I'm hovering around 173-175 but I'm significantly smaller than I was before, wearing an 8-10. I have some 6s and some 12s that fit. This is a good place for me, but the "too thin" worries were ridiculous. I know I could drop another 10-20 and look great as long as it came from my hips and not my boobs :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It really depends on if you have a little curves or no *kitten* at all! I would say most people are 10-12 at a comfortable weight they can manage without being bulimic or anorexic or over the top. If you want to live your life on appetite suppressants and laxatives maybe a 6 but it's not ideal or needed. Most people look very beautiful and sexy at a 10-12 if they are tall!

Maybe you would like to stop putting down women who might naturally be slim, or god forbid, something other than large. I am 5'10 and have never been over a usa size 6-8 and to suggest someone of that perfectly normal size might have no curves or *kitten* shows to me how deluded people have become about their sizes and weights.i find it absurd so many consider themselves too skinny at anything beneath an overweight number.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It really depends on if you have a little curves or no *kitten* at all! I would say most people are 10-12 at a comfortable weight they can manage without being bulimic or anorexic or over the top. If you want to live your life on appetite suppressants and laxatives maybe a 6 but it's not ideal or needed. Most people look very beautiful and sexy at a 10-12 if they are tall!

Maybe you would like to stop putting down women who might naturally be slim, or god forbid, something other than large. I am 5'10 and have never been over a usa size 6-8 and to suggest someone of that perfectly normal size might have no curves or *kitten* shows to me how deluded people have become about their sizes and weights.i find it absurd so many consider themselves too skinny at anything beneath an overweight number.

I was with you until you starting putting down women who are larger than you. I'm not overweight, but I'm strong and quite happy at the higher end of the healthy BMI range, which is neither absurd nor deluded.

Go Kaleo is overweight at 170 and 5'9" and she's cool with that; hell, I'd be cool with her body too. http://gokaleo.com/2013/05/20/i-am-overweight/

Tall ladies: Sizes vary wildly based on your particular body type and composition. Don't discount a weight or size just because it's smaller than you've been. Get to your goal weight and re-evaluate. Health can come in size 6 and size 14.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 10" and at my lowest weight (about 140) I was size 6-8. Right now I'm 183 and my size 12 jeans are getting loose. I am medium-framed and carry most of my weight in my thighs. My goal right now is around 165, but it isn't set in stone. It depends on how I look and bf%. I lift, so at this point I can comfortably carry a few more pounds.

Everyone would do well to remember that people have different frame sizes and body structure.

It is great to see so many tall women here!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am 6' and have been up and down the scale my whole life. I got to my lowest weight at this height three years ago when I was just about fitting into some size 16s at the Gap and almost 14s at Old Navy (their sizes run large, right?).

I love beautiful clothes but it seems that my ideal size is not within the range of most designers.

So, just curious--for those of you who have been/are tall and at a good weight, what size are you? I met a woman once who was my height, ran every day and had a gorgeous figure and she said she wore a size 16. Rodarte doesn't come in size 16!!

Focus on being healthy not what someone else thinks is an idea size!

That being said, if you really care what others think ask for an answer in centimeters or inches. Clothing sizing varies so much from brand to brand in the age of "vanity" sizing.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' and the smallest I've been is around 135 and was a 5-7..I had one pair of threes that were almost painted on :blushing: I have a petite bone structure though, and I am a fit and healthy 7-9 and 140-150ish...
  • Alicia_P_28
    Options
    I agree!! It's nice seeing 'above average' heights in chicks! *it gets lonely up here* LOL
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My wife is 5'11". Back in college she was a size 10: about 142 lbs. Now, three kids and 13 years later, she's a size 12: about 155 lbs.

Take it from a guy who's tried purchasing his wife clothing over the years: women's clothing sizes are absolutely and horrendously useless!.

The last thing I bought my wife was a knife-pleat evening gown for Valentine's day, from Victoria's Secret. She looked stunning; to say the least.

Tall women: you get to wear the full-length gowns and turn every head when you walk into the room. Bonus points when you can look us right in the eyes when we are talking.

original.jpg

And the dress pic won't work...
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Hi I am really tall ...6ft and I currently weigh 152 pounds ...some think I am looking a little skinny but I honestly turned my fat into muscle so completely transformed my body.

I used to be quite big busted as well and hated it !!! and now a much better size.

My ideal weight is to be about 143 pounds as I want to be a small size 10 (currently mostly 10 now but length I am still 12)

A 'Healthy' BMI for anyone in our category is between "18.5-24.9' I am 20.
  • melb_alex
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and weigh 136 (1 lb away from goal!!) At my smallest, I was 125 during college. My dr and family told me that was too thin. I wear a size 6 though those and now getting a little baggy. I am really happy with where I am and my goal now is to get toned.e

I also want to add in response to a previous post. I do not and have not ever lived my life on appetite suppressants or laxatives. I have a normal sized frame and my whole family is very tall and thin. Being thin and tall is not a bad thing and it should not be assumed that those who are, are not living a healthy lifestyle.

Ah someone who is a bit more realistic. Seriously, a USA size 14 is considered a plus size here in the Uk and is often only sold in shops specifically for large ladies. When did people become so used to seeing overweight people that they consider a 14 and 16 to be slim or lean ? I find that incredibly sad. Many people start on a weight loss diet at those sizes. Being tall is no excuse.

I agree 14-16 is not considered 'average' That's concerning....
  • melb_alex
    Options
    Im 6 foot and wieght 152lbs and want to get back to 140-142lbs because 10lbs of fat does make a difference and its been 2 years carrying it around. I have a small frame for my hieght so 140-142 is perfect for me because if I ever was to get up to 170lbs I would look chubby and because thats for a bigger frame person.

omg we weigh the same! :D I agree you must be like me! I have a really petitie body as well so even 1 kg/1 pound makes the difference! Do you have really long legs too and a long torso? I do :/ really hard to find clothes!
  • melb_alex
    Options
    I thought I'd come here to just to say tall girls are so hot

hahah and you still need to wear the heels ;) absofkinglutely!
  • I thought I'd come here to just to say tall girls are so hot

hahah and you still need to wear the heels ;) absofkinglutely!

i am a 6 foot 4 inch male, I still got a few inches on most of you in here ;) But holy crap I absolutely love girls 5'8 and up
  • Alicia_P_28
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and weigh 136 (1 lb away from goal!!) At my smallest, I was 125 during college. My dr and family told me that was too thin. I wear a size 6 though those and now getting a little baggy. I am really happy with where I am and my goal now is to get toned.e

I also want to add in response to a previous post. I do not and have not ever lived my life on appetite suppressants or laxatives. I have a normal sized frame and my whole family is very tall and thin. Being thin and tall is not a bad thing and it should not be assumed that those who are, are not living a healthy lifestyle.

Ah someone who is a bit more realistic. Seriously, a USA size 14 is considered a plus size here in the Uk and is often only sold in shops specifically for large ladies. When did people become so used to seeing overweight people that they consider a 14 and 16 to be slim or lean ? I find that incredibly sad. Many people start on a weight loss diet at those sizes. Being tall is no excuse.

I agree 14-16 is not considered 'average' That's concerning....
    I couldn't agree more! I am in a 13 now and it's TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for me and my frame. I am a thin but fit and healthy 7-9 (depending on the brand) and 145ish lbs. Anything more and I am fluffy, much less and I'm a bit too thin. Weight and size totally depends on muscle tone and bone structure..but I'd bet the average 14 is still overweight regardless of size (not saying there's NO exceptions to that though)
  • steinsopp
    steinsopp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and a size 14 in US clothes and definitely overweight, not average. I've always fit into a smaller size than it seems I should at my weight though. I'm trying to get back to an 8-10, which is around 165-175 lbs for me.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the ideal size is the one you feel confident and sexy in. You don't do this to please others.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am 6' and have been up and down the scale my whole life. I got to my lowest weight at this height three years ago when I was just about fitting into some size 16s at the Gap and almost 14s at Old Navy (their sizes run large, right?).

I love beautiful clothes but it seems that my ideal size is not within the range of most designers.

So, just curious--for those of you who have been/are tall and at a good weight, what size are you? I met a woman once who was my height, ran every day and had a gorgeous figure and she said she wore a size 16. Rodarte doesn't come in size 16!!

That's like asking for the ideal size for redheads, or the ideal size for people named Maryann. There is no ideal size.
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11. I find I am ideal at about a US12. I've been a 10 and people have said I looked too skinny. I think it depends though on toning. I'm hoping this time I can get a bit thinner, and maybe even to a US10 but tone so I don't just look like a skeleton.