Gastric Bypass Vs. Lap-band

Options
12346»

Replies

• xcarrie3137x
    Options
    I also have my 1st appointment with the Doc 2/14 and more and more people are telling me bypass is the way to go..my cousin did the lap band years ago and shes lost alot of weight she went from maybe 300 lbs to 120/130 lbs but she also got pretty sick cuz she lost to much weight, she was one of the somewhat success cases..now they do less bands the doc told me cuz its a foreign object in your body and can cause complications but so can bypass but bypass is more permanent and you you will lose more weight and faster..good luck :]
  • katjonathan
    Options
    Lap Band Surgery is now a days one of the most desired way to reduce the increased body weight. But there are few risk or you can say side effects evolved. All of them all them have to be reduced that can be only done with the help of the complete guide. Lap Band Solution Book will provide you with all the details regarding the surgery. Know more from : http://www.lapbandsolutionbook.com/lap-band-side-effect.php
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I was offered the surgery around 3 years ago. Most places make you attend a class then a support group before you can meet with the doctor. That SCARED the hell out of me!!! Not only did at least 90% of the support group have a hard time learning how to eat small amounts and get the nutrition they needed, most of them had complications and had to get another surgery or treatments. It wasn't due to the actual surgeon, it was because they either didn't eat enough or threw up all the time so they got dehydrated or anemic and or had to be hospitalized or they ate too much and ripped their stitches. The surgery does NOT change the person. The person changes themselves. The support group seemed to be focused on how to get passed the symptoms rather than how to change their lifestyles.

My thoughts on why I didn't:

Have I really tried to lose weight? No, not really. At least not in a good way. Fad diets, shakes, and plans I didn't actually stick to for more than 2 weeks DO NOT COUNT. If I cheated and didn't stick to a healthy diet for a period of time, no. If I have the surgery, it will be years before I get back to normal. If I cant stick a simple plan out now, well, I shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Do I want to go years without being able to guzzle water and or sometimes eat without throwing up? Hell no

Do I have the skills to eat right after the surgery? No, I didn't get fat overnight. I have had bad eating skills for a long time. I am a creature of habit like everyone else.

If I don't have the willpower now, what makes me think I will change later on? It doesn't. Its simply a way to force myself to eat less. It is not a long term solution. I might as well be anorexic and save myself some money.

Have I exercised enough? No.

Am I willing to die to lose weight? No. I get the fact some people are so obese they need the surgery but I was not at that stage in my life. If I can walk, there is NO excuse not to exercise. I needed to stop being lazy.

I had a friend die from the surgery. His mother who had it too had a ton of complications and guess what? 10 years later she is fatter than she was in the first place.

So, NO NO NO.

I don't care if people disagree with me. If you haven't busted your butt then no. If you haven't worked out at least 5 days a week for a few hours a day, if you haven't eaten a clean diet, if you haven't stuck to a plan more than at least a few months without cheating much, If you are not so obese you cant walk, no.

I truly believe 90% of the people who have the surgery should have got off their butts and worked to lose weight first. People say its not the easy way out. Yes it is. At first anyways. It only gets hard AFTER the surgery because you get forced to eat less.

I feel like the people who lost weight from the surgery have invalidated the hard work I put in 6 days a week at the gym. It disgusts me when people asked if I had it. No, I actually worked for it. I sweat every day, I ate right. I changed my thought process about food. No, I didn't lose it overnight. but I sure earned every single ounce.

Do what you want but IMO, Just say No.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you have to have the surgery I would say go with the lap band. I had a friend that had the bypass surgery and had complications from it and was under nurished. His body couldn't handle it anymore and he passed away, at a young age.
  • TGGolfer
    TGGolfer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you considered "LAP SLEEVE"? http://pugetsoundbariatrics.com/ http://pugetsoundbariatrics.com/lapsleeve http://pugetsoundbariatrics.com/success-stories

This weight loss surgery proceedure is the most effective, quickest recovery time. My wife had this surgery and she is so happy about it she went to work for the company.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have seen people who have had both types of surgery. All of the ones I have seen have somehow wound up gaining a lot if not all of their weight back after initial weight loss. Then they have additional complications due to the surgery.

We all love immediate gratification, but having such drastic surgery would concern me. I have had many surgeries due to having breast cancer twice. Surgery is serious and if there are other options, those would always be my first choice.

Just my two cents.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My mom had the gastric bypass done and she hasn't lost much weight on it. (Had it done in 2004) Sure initially but I think she's gained probably 1/2 it back. She doesn't exercise or eat that healthy, she likes to snack. So you're still going to need to exercise and eat healthy otherwise the weight wont come off.

My old boss's daughter had the lab-band put on her. No real significant weight loss either. She wasn't eating right and it made her sick. She eventually had it removed and is on some other diet type thing where she can be checked up on once a day. She's eating healthier so that's what's promoting her weight loss.

I second what someone else has said. You have to eat right and exercise for these surgeries to be effective. Why not just do it now? Sure it'll take a while but in the long run, you know YOU did it. You have the will power and strength to get to the weight/size you'd like. There are many success stories of people 300+ at SW who get to their ideal size (whether it be 200 or 150 ect).

That's just my opinion. It's your life/money and do what you'd like.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    When I was in the hospital for my VSG surgery there were three other patients there with me who were all getting their lapbands out and having the VSG instead. The problem with the lapbands is that they are not really as unobtrusive as people think. They slip, they cause scarring, it can be difficult to get the right fill.. and you always have this foreign body in you that could cause a problem at any time. YES, in the short term it a less invasive procedure, but complication rates go up the longer one has the band.

I toyed with the idea of the band and with bypass for a long time, but always felt like the bypass was too extreme for me, but the band was just too difficult to maintain.... When I learned about VSG, I knew I had found the right option for me. I had roughly 75% of my stomach removed, but my intestines were untouched. The "stretchy" part was removed so the part of my stomach that is left will not stretch much so I don't have to worry about that. Ultimately, I'll wind up being able to eat around 8-10 ounces of food at a meal. (currently I'm eating just over a half cup). I don't have to worry about malabsoption of vitamins because my food still goes through the entire intestine. There's also no dumping syndrome typically associated with the VSG. I won't lose weight quite as fast as the bypass, and that's fine with me. oooh yes and the part of the stomach that produces the bulk of the hunger hormone Ghrelin is removed from the body, so MOST VSG patients experience diminished hunger.. which you don't get with the band.

My recovery was very easy, I was back at work quickly and had minimal pain and zero complications.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!