Replies

• _speshk
    _speshk Posts: 19
    Options
    Bump. Because I love this thread.
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    I've wasted many months of my life listening to people on these forums and getting no results because of it. I now trust MFP recommendations for the most part.
    I've always wondered about this particular thing though. So when you get muscles while in a calorie deficit, are you revealing the ones you already had by burning the fat around them or building some muscle while burning fat?
    In my experience I could see more muscle definition, but I had not lost any weight AT ALL while eating in a calorie deficit, so I wondered "Is it possible that I burned fat and built muscle simultaneously"?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    bump for links
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've heard it as well, but those same people normally mention that there are beginner's gains..which would explain why you've gained muscle despite the calorie deficit.

Also, I've seen several thread's that encourage lifting on a deficit as it is necessary to maintain muscle mass. I don't think everyone is telling you there is no point to lifting while on a calorie deficit, and if they do, don't listen to them! However, I think there is a point where you will no longer gain muscle mass without eating more. Does not mean you shouldn't keep lifting, because either way it's beneficial!
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    All of the above applies... UNLESS you are obese, in which case you can gain muscle while on a deficit.

The joys of being a big fatty :wink:
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't like blanket statements, like 'you can't build muscle in a deficit'. Especially when they're that general.

Now, it can be easily granted that it's easier to build muscle without being in a deficit, but I don't think it's impossible.

I've was 278 two months ago and am 244 now. My reps for 225 on the bench press have gone from 3 to 7 during that time. My arms have gotten bigger, also. Now, I guess it's possible that I haven't built any muscle at all and have instead just somehow gotten stronger with the same (or less) muscle and that my arms have added fat or water instead of muscle, but that seems to stretch the limits of credulity a bit far, to me.

I think if one were to add muscle in a deficit, it would require moderate strength training and adequate protein. And I think that any added muscle that you might be lucky enough to produce would be less than would have been produced by the same amount of lifting if you weren't eating at a deficit.

I think it's difficult and that the progress is not tremendous, but I just can't bring myself to agree with the common belief that it's impossible.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You actually and physically can't build appreciable muscle on a deficit, just like you can't build fat on a deficit. You have to have materials build IYSWIM.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't lift weights while in a deficit. Why lift?

1. Weight lifting is exercise, and while people fight and argue about how much it burns (answer-no one knows), it will contribute to your calorie deficit in some manner.
    2. While you can't build muscle on a deficit, you can build strength and coordination-two good things to have.
    3. While you can't build muscle, you can preserve what you already have, what this means is you have to lose less weight to get to a lower body fat percentage-end result is many people are happier with their bodies.

Have you been measuring your arms? Just because the muscle is more defined doesn't mean it is actually bigger. More likely is that as you have lost weight, you have lost fat which makes it more visible. (ie#3) Either that or you took the picture directly after lifting so it is pumped.

My arms haven't changed much in size since I started. they are less flabby and more muscular. I took this picture today and I have not lifted today.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat at a deficit and lift. My question is this then. I have not lost more the 5 pounds in the last few months but have lost inches all over my body. I am not a newbi. I have been lifting since I started MFP over a year ago. I have lost over a 100 pounds. So what happen? I thought I had gained muscle but after reading all the post about this topic I am still confused.

Did I not gain muscle since the scale didnt budge and I lost inches?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I think this is the most cleverly disguised 1200 calorie thread I've seen. But, since I'm already here...

You can gain muscle on a deficit, I think. I believe that is what "newbie gains" means, but this phenomenon does not last as you progress. Lifting while on a deficit is done primarily to preserve muscle mass, not build.

Also, the increased definition in your arm is likely from fat loss to reveal the muscle. Nice job, btw.

As for your intake I'm not going to even look. Do whatchawanna.

Its nice to see I wasn't the only one drawn in only to go "Wait. What?"

I don't know a lot but I know if a grown man has to eat like a baby elephant and work very hard to put on a few pounds of muscle, a women eating at 1200 shouldn't be able to do it so easily. But maybe I've missed something somewhere. Maybe if I eat 1200 I too can get ripped.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Remember that the appearance of muscle definition is not the same as muscle growth / hypertrophy. Increased muscle definition becomes more apparent as we lose bodyfat. Increased muscle size happens as we eat enough calories and experience enough exercise volume. That's why bodybuilders go through a bulk and cutting phase, because you can't do both at the same time.

The scientific LAW of thermodynamics indicates that you can't make something out of nothing.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You actually and physically can't build appreciable muscle on a deficit, just like you can't build fat on a deficit. You have to have materials build IYSWIM.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't lift weights while in a deficit. Why lift?

1. Weight lifting is exercise, and while people fight and argue about how much it burns (answer-no one knows), it will contribute to your calorie deficit in some manner.
    2. While you can't build muscle on a deficit, you can build strength and coordination-two good things to have.
    3. While you can't build muscle, you can preserve what you already have, what this means is you have to lose less weight to get to a lower body fat percentage-end result is many people are happier with their bodies.

Have you been measuring your arms? Just because the muscle is more defined doesn't mean it is actually bigger. More likely is that as you have lost weight, you have lost fat which makes it more visible. (ie#3) Either that or you took the picture directly after lifting so it is pumped.

My arms haven't changed much in size since I started. they are less flabby and more muscular. I took this picture today and I have not lifted today.

Can you take a flexed one as well so we can compare?
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this myself 'cause I've been eating at a deficit for a year and well yeah...
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    didn't "build" that muscle. You just maintained it. To actually grow/build/acquire/whatever term you want to use muscle, you have to eat at a SURPLUS. That muscle in your arm was already there you just removed fat that wastifyn'ng it.

When people recommend lifting while eating at a deficit it is to do exactly what you did, albeit in a less drastic method, to preserve the muscle they already have. Everybody has a six pack and ripped biceps underneath their layer of fat. Weight lifting keeps it from disintegrating while we try to lose fat.

I must add, feeling "fine" eating 1200 calories isn't the only indicator. Are you sleepy? Are you irritable? Do you feel fatigued? Can you make it through your workouts? Most importantly, how long have you only been eating 1200? For 2-4 weeks, of course it's fine. You'll lose a lot of water weight. But in the long run, as EVERYONE will tell you, it's not sustainable. You might not feel hungry. But you will feel something that tells you it isn't right.

Since January.
    It is definatley not water weight, I have steadily lost 14lbs since I started.
    I feel much better now as I use to eat a lot of junk and now I eat healthier foods.
    I have ALOT more energy, before i began i use to fall asleep during the day and on the way home from work, now i go for a run or lift weights and get all the house work done.
    I have reached my goal weight now and will gradually up my calories.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    if you are looking to lift weights and gain muscle mass you really shouldnt be in a deficit.
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Remember that the appearance of muscle definition is not the same as muscle growth or hypertrophy. Increased muscle definition becomes more apparent as we lose bodyfat. Increased muscle size happens as we eat enough calories and experience enough exercise volume. That's why bodybuilders go through a bulk and cutting phase, because you can't do both at the same time.

The scientific LAW of thermodynamics indicates that you can't make something out of nothing.

Thermodynamics has nothing to do with this. Noone has suggested that you can add muscle without eating at all. Having a deficit is not equivalent to not eating at all.

My maintenance is probably around 3000 or more, so anything less is a deficit. Let's say I eat 300g of protein (which is used to build muscle), 200g of carbs, and 44g of fat, for a total of 2400 cal/day. Let's also assume that my bodyfat% is about 22%, so there's plenty of fuel available there.

I see no reason why muscle couldn't be produce with moderate lifting, even at much less protein levels, but certainly can't imagine why not at the hypothetical levels indicated above. You'd be building the muscle out of 300g of protein, which far exceeds anyones estimate of what is needed for my size, while using the carbs/fat + bodyfat for energy.

It should go without saying that noone who's primary goal is to add muscle mass should eat at a deficit. But if your goal is to lose bodyfat and weight while maintaining or even slightly increases muscle mass, there's no reason not to lift heavy in a deficit. To the contrary, I think it's a pretty good idea, as long as you take care to get enough protein (would obviously require a higher protein % than at maintenance levels to achieve this).
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is one of many things I have heard on the forums, is there something I'm not getting about this statement, for example maybe you can't get "bulky" lifting weights on a calorie deficit? What does it actually mean. Are you guys litrally suggesting you cant increase muscle while on a calorie defecit and if so are you suggesting there is then no point lifting weights while on a calorie defecit?
    Im pretty sure that is muscle in my photo there but it mustn't be because I've been eating at 1200 calories. If I listened to some people on the forums I shouldn't have reached my goal weight either because my body should have "clung" on to all my fat due to "starvation mode"
    Also I'm not hear to suggest anyone eats at 1200, it suited me as I was at a healthy BMI to begin with. Im not suggesting its for everyone!

I agree with you for one reason that everyone fails to mention: WE ALL HAVE EXCESS CALORIES, EVERYDAY, AT ALL TIMES. It's called STORED FAT. It gets recruited when we have calorie needs in excess of our calorie intake. Why does no one consider this?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you are not building muscle, you are losing body fat which is making the muscles you have show.

According to bodyrecompisition.com - the obese beginner may say some muscle gain while working out in a deficit but after first four to eight weeks of training there will be no more muscle gains (I am paraphrasing)...

After that, if you actually want to gain muscle you have to eat in a surplus. Calories are energy and your muscles need energy to grow...
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting any bigger on a deficit that is for sure but people swear I look bigger because they can see muscle definition & that's because I've been lifting since I decided to drop the fat.
    I do sometimes see a strength gain here & there depending on how small a deficit I'm running & how long I'm on it but for the most part my strength stays about the same lately.
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    Guys I'm not trying to claim I know more than you. I'm not trying to claim I am any kind of expert, clearly I am not. I was asking a question about the statement and sharing my experiences.