"You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit"

Options

Replies

• KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    I get the OP and agree with her. I am no expert by any stretch but can say what happened to me personally.

I've been in a deficit every day since the last week in March except the cheat day I took on Memorial Day.

First few weeks: Moderate cardio only; lost roughly equal percentages of fat and muscle
    Next few weeks: Upped cardio; lost a higher percentage of fat but was still losing muscle

I let this go on for a bit because the pounds of muscle I was carrying were too high to be at a healthy body fat% when I got to a normal BMI. In short, if I had maintained the same # of lbs of muscle I had at that time when I reached a normal weight, my body fat% would have been beneath the 10% essential fat level for women. So when my lbs# dropped below what I needed to have an ideal body% fat range of 22.9% to 27.9% at my goal weight, and did the following...

Next week after that: Maintained cardio level & added strength training: Gained weight in lean muscle lbs but lost fat lbs

I was rather stagnant in lb loss for a bit but continued to lose fat until I found the right balance of cardio and strength strength training to maintain and not gain muscle yet still lose fat. Now, I'm back on the path I want.

My calories have remained at the same deficit level throughout and the only that change about my eating habits is that I drank a protein shake 30 mins before or after strength training. So either the definition of "calorie deficit" needs clarification/expansion or it is simply not true that you cannot gain muscle while in one because I did.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I get the OP and agree with her. I am no expert by any stretch but can say what happened to me personally.

I've been in a deficit every day since the last week in March except the cheat day I took on Memorial Day.

First few weeks: Moderate cardio only; lost roughly equal percentages of fat and muscle
    Next few weeks: Upped cardio; lost a higher percentage of fat but was still losing muscle

I let this go on for a bit because the pounds of muscle I was carrying were too high to be at a healthy body fat% when I got to a normal BMI. In short, if I had maintained the same # of lbs of muscle I had at that time when I reached a normal weight, my body fat% would have been beneath the 10% essential fat level for women.
    So when my lbs# dropped below what I needed to have an ideal body% fat range of 22.9% to 27.9% at my goal weight, and did the following...

Next week after that: Maintained cardio level & added strength training: Gained weight in lean muscle lbs but lost fat lbs

I was rather stagnant in lb loss for a bit but continued to lose fat until I found the right balance of cardio and strength strength training to maintain and not gain muscle yet still lose fat. Now, I'm back on the path I want.

My calories have remained at the same deficit level throughout and the only that change about my eating habits is that I drank a protein shake 30 mins before or after strength training. So either the definition of "calorie deficit" needs clarification/expansion or it is simply not true that you cannot gain muscle while in one because I did.
    So you intentionally allowed yourself to lose muscle so that the number on the scale is what you want??? :noway:

Also, how do you know you were losing equal amounts fat and muscle then gaining muscle later?
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    im a big fan of believing everyone's body is different and reacts differently to situations.. I did ok 300lbs to 178 atm.
  • KimLee76
    Options

I let this go on for a bit because the pounds of muscle I was carrying were too high to be at a healthy body fat% when I got to a normal BMI. In short, if I had maintained the same # of lbs of muscle I had at that time when I reached a normal weight, my body fat% would have been beneath the 10% essential fat level for women.
    So when my lbs# dropped below what I needed to have an ideal body% fat range of 22.9% to 27.9% at my goal weight, and did the following...

So you intentionally allowed yourself to lose muscle so that the number on the scale is what you want??? :noway:

Also, how do you know you were losing equal amounts fat and muscle then gaining muscle later?

You're oversimplifying. If I had ever been obsessed with the number on the scale, I would not be overweight right now lol.

I am saying that I would like for my BMI to be within a normal weight range of 18.5 to 24.9, which for my height is between 112 lbs and 149 lbs.

I am also saying that when I get there, I would like for my Body Fat Percentage to be within the ideal range of 22.9% to 27.9%.

I know exactly what I'm losing in muscle and fat because I don't just depend on the scale each week. I also have a body fat percentage test.

I have only been on this site for the last leg of my weight loss journey, but I've lost over 100 lbs already. When you see your body go through losing that much , believe me when I say, you start paying attention to the details lol so the end result isn't just a smaller version shaped up just like your larger self.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

I let this go on for a bit because the pounds of muscle I was carrying were too high to be at a healthy body fat% when I got to a normal BMI. In short, if I had maintained the same # of lbs of muscle I had at that time when I reached a normal weight, my body fat% would have been beneath the 10% essential fat level for women. So when my lbs# dropped below what I needed to have an ideal body% fat range of 22.9% to 27.9% at my goal weight, and did the following...

Lol, no! You were not going to be 10% body fat. It takes a LOT of work (lifting) for women to get there.
  • crista_b
    Options

You're oversimplifying. If I had ever been obsessed with the number on the scale, I would not be overweight right now lol.

I am saying that I would like for my BMI to be within a normal weight range of 18.5 to 24.9, which for my height is between 112 lbs and 149 lbs.

I am also saying that
    I understand that, but BMI really doesn't measure health very well. Most bodybuilders are on the edge or in the "obese" range of BMI but have a low BF% and are very healthy, whereas someone who is "skinny fat" can be in the "healthy" range but not actually be healthy and have a higher BF% and lower LBM. Trying to fit a certain BMI range while lowering muscle mass isn't exactly healthy. That's all I'm trying to say.

This thread has others discussing the subject of BMI vs BF: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1012357-bmi
  • KimLee76
    Options

I am also saying that
    I understand that, but BMI really doesn't measure health very well. Most bodybuilders are on the edge or in the "obese" range of BMI but have a low BF% and are very healthy, whereas someone who is "skinny fat" can be in the "healthy" range but not actually be healthy and have a higher BF% and lower LBM. Trying to fit a certain BMI range while lowering muscle mass isn't exactly healthy. That's all I'm trying to say.

This thread has others discussing the subject of BMI vs BF: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1012357-bmi

Hey Krista, that post got away from me mid sentence before I finished typing but I have edited it now. I'll also add that had I maintained the same muscle I had when I started losing weight, I would have been dead before getting to onederland.
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later:)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

I am also saying that

Hey Krista, that post got away from me mid sentence before I finished typing but I have edited it now. I'll also add that had I maintained the same muscle I had when I started losing weight, I would have been dead before getting to onederland.

:huh: wut?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hey have fun building new muscle!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    From nps.gov:

The urea produced from fat metabolism (fatal at high levels) is broken down and the resulting nitrogen is used by the bear to build protein, which allows them to maintain muscle mass and organ tissues (Rogers 1981). Bears lose fat and may actually increase lean-body mass while hibernating due to this nitrogen recycling (Wickelgren 1988). Bears may loose 15-30 % of their body weight during hibernation (Rogers 1981).

Dont tell me you gonna dispute NPS.
    rawr ima bear

right!?! just look at nature for examples. bears hibernate, then go out and eat a face. nature is telling us something.
    And gorillas get swole as fuuuark without doing anything at all!
    And they're herbivores... where do they get their protein?!

Bearbody coaches keep bugging them to buy Shakeology.
  • KimLee76
    Options

I am also saying that when I get there, I would like for my Body Fat Percentage to be within the ideal range of 22.9% to 27.9%.

I know exactly what I'm losing in muscle and fat because I don't just depend on the scale each week. I also have a body fat percentage test.

I have only been on this site for the last leg of my weight loss journey, but I've lost over 100 lbs already. When you see your body go through losing that much , believe me when I say, you start paying attention to the details lol so the end result isn't just a smaller version shaped up just like your larger self.

"Onederland" means under 200 pounds.

I cannot even tell we're having the same conversation (which btw is off topic) because you keep ringing the alarm for details taken out of context.

So to summarize...my max desired weight is no higher than 149 (top end of normal BMI for my height). My body fat percentage goal is 22.9 to 27.9 (ideal range for my age). I track both once a week. That is how I know the exact # of lbs of lean muscle versus lbs of fat I'm carrying.

After I reach my max weight, I will better be able to determine my goal weight because I have additional health criteria to such as waist circumference <= 35 and waist to hip ratio <= to .8.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

I cannot even tell we're having the same conversation (which btw is off topic) because you keep ringing the alarm for details taken out of context.

So to summarize...my max desired weight is no higher than 149 (top end of normal BMI for my height). My body fat percentage goal is 22.9 to 27.9 (ideal range for my age). I track both once a week. That is how I know the exact # of lbs of lean muscle versus lbs of fat I'm carrying.

After I reach my max weight, I will better be able to determine my goal weight because I have additional health criteria to such as waist circumference <= 35 and waist to hip ratio <= to .8.

Did you forget to read the caveat that comes with BMI recommendations? It doesn't apply all that much if you are very muscular.

Losing muscle on purpose to make weight does not make sense! Unless you are trying to get into a weight class for sport. BMI is more or less meant for controlling obesity as an epidemic, not for individuals. If you take a group of people, you can make health predictions using average BMI. But as you get to the individual level it's less and less significant.

That muscle you lost will make it harder to achieve your aesthetic goals, so she is right.
  • crista_b
    Options

I know what "onederland" means. That comment you just replied to wasn't me. I gave up trying to point out how working toward a set weight/BMI isn't the best way to try to get healthy, and losing muscle on purpose doesn't make sense. Good luck on reaching your goals.
  • pcastagner
    Options

I know what "onederland" means. That comment you just replied to wasn't me. I gave up trying to point out how working toward a set weight/BMI isn't the best way to try to get healthy, and losing muscle on purpose doesn't make sense. Good luck on reaching your goals.

Don't give up! She clearly wants to learn, just maybe a bit stubborn.

Btw, using calipers gives you data to calculate LEAN MASS or NONFAT MASS, not muscle. Lean mass is only partially muscle.
  • KimLee76
    Options

Did you forget to read the caveat that comes with BMI recommendations? It doesn't apply all that much if you are very muscular.

Losing muscle on purpose to make weight does not make sense! Unless you are trying to get into a weight class for sport. BMI is more or less meant for controlling obesity as an epidemic, not for individuals. If you take a group of people, you can make health predictions using average BMI. But as you get to the individual level it's less and less significant.

That muscle you lost will make it harder to achieve your aesthetic goals, so she is right.

Who said I was very muscular? Just because I had a lot of muscle doesn't mean I was muscular so I tell you what, the next time you have the # of lbs of muscle contained in a 300 lb body, come talk to me about keeping all of it.

I'm less than 10 lbs from a normal BMI, have a body fat % in the ideal range, am more toned than I've ever been, have "normal" bloodwork, and finally enjoy working out. I"m happy and healthy so I don't even have to speculate about what could happen.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Who said I was very muscular? Just because I had a lot of muscle doesn't mean I was muscular so I tell you what, the next time you have the # of lbs of muscle contained in a 300 lb body, come talk to me about keeping all of it.

I'm less than 10 lbs from a normal BMI, have a body fat % in the ideal range, am more toned than I've ever been, have "normal" bloodwork, and finally enjoy working out. I"m happy and healthy so I don't even have to speculate about what could happen.

Sigh, reading comprehension. Can't help you, sorry.
  • KimLee76
    Options
    Sigh, reading comprehension. Can't help you, sorry.

Well, isn't that just the pot? Aside from your thinking help was sought at all, the conditions you're trying to address don't exist.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump because there are some reply's and links in here.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Just because I had a lot of muscle doesn't mean I was muscular