Walmart customers

Options
We had to go to Walmart the other day for something. Now we aren't in perfect shape or the most healthy people around but I couldn't help but noticing how almost every single person there was overweight and unkempt. I know income has a direct correlation to weight but I had never realized just how unhealthy a majority of its shoppers are. I never see that fat/healthy ratio in normal department stores or normal clothing stores. It really made me depressed to think about how unhealthy we are and how it seems to be okay.

If I was struggling with weight issues I could walk in there and say "look, I'm normal" and that's not good. Not to bring the Abercromie thing up again, but if I had a store the average customer I saw the other day is not who I would want to "showcase" my products. If I had to go in there frequently I think I'd move because it was that depressing.

We are showing our children it's okay to be unhealthy because "everybody else is".

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Maybe setting a good example by purchasing healthy, wholesome choices is the example you should worry about setting for children. Kids pay attention to their parents decisions more than anyone else's, so don't worry about anyone but yourself and maybe other parents will catch on when they notice that parents who make healthy choices have healthy kids.

Concerning yourself with other people's deemed "questionable" lifestyles won't do anything except make you a food/store snob.

ETA: I just reread what I wrote, and I want to clarify that I wasn't aiming that directly at you OP. Just in general think that people should just worry about themselves. People will do what they do and we will do what we do.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    This must only be an American phenomena in Canada I have yet to see these "Walmart people"
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Must be just your town Bella. Mine here in Nova Scotia is rife with potentials for Peopleof Walmart.com.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this really needs to be about Walmart. General perception is skewed by the two extremes of photoshopped fitness models in media and the "average" (overweight-obese) real people.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This must only be an American phenomena in Canada I have yet to see these "Walmart people"

I think that people set out to look for these "Walmart People" subconsciously, and then when they see someone at Walmart who fits this bill they immediately recognize it and remember it.

It's like people who say ...ummm idk of what a good example would be...they hate how immigrants to America don't know English. When in fact, they have this stereotype in their head so every time they see an immigrant who doesn't speak English they immediately remember it and it strengthens the correlation in their head and further promotes the stereotype in their own head, where as when they see an immigrant who does speak English it doesn't make as big of impact on them.

I remember reading something along these lines in a psych class...may be off but could also be part of it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity what defines a normal department or clothing store? I live in a very rural area and my only choices, my normal choices, would be a k-mart an hour one way or a wal-mart an hour the other way.

You know this post is inflammatory.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Low income doesnt have to eqaul no class and being overwieght in fact one should expect to be thinner becasue thier lack of food. I have seen some "walmart people in my day but I have seen these individauls in other places too,Some just dont have enough common sense to put on clothes or clothes that fit when they leave the house it doesnt matter if you are smart or not the brightest crayon you know when something is inappropriate or not, so Id say lack of care perhaps more so.

Its sad we even have any issues with low income or homelss to begin here in the US we have more than we need and always want more ...just my 2 cents

not looking for a political debate .
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif
    We don't have the pleasure of your exotic "mart of Wal" down here, and I am sad about that, because I would go there for this.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just got home from Walmart. It was the first time in about two years that I had gone.

I did notice that there was a higher percentage than normal of people who were wearing stretchy pants/shorts/capris than the general population. I don't think they were any fatter than, for example, my coworkers, but they were definitely poorly dressed. I usually don't go shopping in pants that don't have a button and a zipper. Stretchy pants are usually for working out and for sleeping. It gives a lazy appearance to people, whether or not they are actually lazy.
  • ldfuchs
    ldfuchs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find this comment to be totally judgmental and ridiculous. You must be so focused on your
    own weight that is all you see at your Walmart. Our community has 2 big Walmart Super Centers,
    our basic source for groceries. LOOK AROUND AGAIN AND NOTICE ALL PEOPLE OF ALL
    SIZES. FIND COMPASSION AND KINDNESS!!
    Uplift all those who use Myfitness to better themselves.
    We should all come to this forum for kindness, compassion, understanding and encouragement.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Excuses. :tongue: How much money could these women save if they only ate half as much cheap "starchy foods" as they are currently putting away? It takes a ton of calories to maintain those figures. I am on a very tight budget and I, too, shop at Walmart to save a few bucks. However, I am not, nor have I ever been, overweight. I make smart food choices and I stay physically active. Blaming your obesity on economic adversity is just lame - especially when plenty of higher income people are overweight as well. (I live on the outskirts of an upper middle-class area where most people make a crap ton more money than me, and about half are overweight.) I think it has more to do with ignorance and/or willpower than anything else. A lot of people just have no sense of what healthy eating looks like (my neighbors / typical Walmart shoppers). The ones that do know better just don't care enough to change (my in-laws for example). The people of Walmart don't bother me at all. I'm one of them. I just don't like it when people make excuses for poor lifestyle choices. :flowerforyou:
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm at walmart all the time since I work there.. that and Aldi are the only two grocery stores in my area. I see people of all weights, appearances, and sizes. I've seen people that look like they belong in a fitness magazine, I've seen very overweight people, anorexic people, girls that look like barbies, people missing teeth, lots of people in pajamas, people in suits and nice clothing. (Especially on Sunday :D) .. so a lot of people shop at wal-mart, not just fat poor people. You probably just noticed the overweight more because to you that is outside normal or is disturbing.

I do want to add that the day and time you go makes a big difference, weekends you will see more weirdos, on sunday's you will see more dressy people, we don't really get busy until 8:30 am.. so if you want to shop without a crowd get in between 6-8am.. I suggest you avoid wal-mart on the first of the month... 1) It's normally our busiest day of the month 2) A lot of people get paid that day which is why it's so busy 3) Link card gets refilled on the first so again.. we are very busy.

Easter is one of my favorite days to work, we get a lot of women in very crazy outfits with huge hats that come in.. :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i get all sorts in my Walmart.

The other day i was stopped by a customer who exclaimed.. " Gurrrl i love whatchoo wearin'! you look like you're going to a weddin'!!"

...i was just wearing...normal every day clothes.:noway:
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We are showing our children it's okay to be unhealthy because "everybody else is".

Because when when I wanna teach my child life lessons, the first place I take her to is ...Wal-Mart.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Ever notice how the people that frequent GNC are uptight, skinny, wealthy non-minority folks?

<dramatic pause>

But if I sign with a flower, it's not inflammatory or insensitive, right? (not to mention completely INACCURATE) :flowerforyou:

I gained over 200 pounds without setting foot in Walmart. Bad choices overcome location, finances, and race.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Maybe setting a good example by purchasing healthy, wholesome choices is the example you should worry about setting for children. Kids pay attention to their parents decisions more than anyone else's, so don't worry about anyone but yourself and maybe other parents will catch on when they notice that parents who make healthy choices have healthy kids.

Concerning yourself with other people's deemed "questionable" lifestyles won't do anything except make you a food/store snob.

ETA: I just reread what I wrote, and I want to clarify that I wasn't aiming that directly at you OP. Just in general think that people should just worry about themselves. People will do what they do and we will do what we do.

Wow, I am kind of surprised because of what you say. I am not American and don't live there and maybe don't quite understand, but are you saying that people should only selfishly worry about themselves and maybe their close family and not show any concern for friends, neighbors, fellow citizens or the state of health of the country they live in ?
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    lots of people in pajamas

I HATE this. This is one of my peeves- people going out of their house in pjs. They are officially saying, "I give up on life. I just don't give a damn about myself or anyone anymore!" It's the epitome of lazy. It's one of the signs of the downfall of society when people can't even get dressed when they go out of the house.

I am being overly dramatic, but I HATE THAT.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I gained over 200 pounds without setting foot in Walmart. Bad choices overcome location, finances, and race.

True! :drinker: And good choices overcome all those things as well. 271 pounds down - you are an MFP superstar! :heart:
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it is airing everywhere, but I've seen a couple of commercials for WalMart with professionals (engineers, lawyers etc) talking about why they shop in WalMart. It seems that even WalMart is aware of the reputation they have as being the shopping destination for low-income people. Interesting.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    [

Think of it as inspiration.

So why would these women only be shopping at wal-mart? Why would we not expect to see them in a Nordstroms, LL Bean, Abercrombie and Fitch, Williams & Sonoma, or a Whole Foods? Sorry my argument is not quite fully formed, but I see a class/racial thing developing.
    Because there is a direct correlation between poverty and overweight. Not only in the US, but in many other places.
    Poor people are forced to buy the cheapest items as far as food and consumer goods are concerned and maybe in the US ( I don't know for sure ) that is WalMart. People who do not make a living wage or live of government assistance just cannot shop at l.L.Bean or Whole Foods.