help! addicted to sugar

Options
I have made a commitment to myself to lose weight and eat right, and I have made a lot of drastic changes, but I can't stop my sugar cravings. I love anything "gummy", gummy bears, gummy dolphins, fuzzy peaches... my addiction too sweets has gotten so bad that for the past year, I've taken to adding insane amounts of sugar to juice, enough sugar that I have to eat it out the glass with a spoon :cry:
I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Replies

• rebnev67
    rebnev67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also am addicted to sugar. I never can start a diet because I would eat just "one piece" and then could not stop. I had to do my own personal "detox". I picked a day and ate lots of protein, very low carb-didn't worry about calories. I had bad cravings for sugar the first day but the second was bettter. I am now on day 8 and really feel good. I have added some of the healtheir carbs back like whole wheat bread and fiber cereals. I know a lot of people say don't deny yourself, just eat whatever you want in moderation. I don't agree when it comes to really being out of control on certain foods. I think it is best to avoid them all together.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My mother has this problem - what's helped her is having it out of the house.

And quit eating it cold turkey - don't phase it out., just stop (I know, easier said than done).

Here is a link that shows if you are craving something, and what some healthy alternatives may be (sorry for the small font, that's just the way it shows up)

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/originals/dc/21/fb/dc21fb4bfdb3282bb957b86514dc2301.jpg
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would agree that the only way is to cut out sugar and simple carbs (and even fruit for a couple of weeks) to bring down the hormones that are driving you toward your addiction. That will deal with the physical aspects of sugar addiction and it can be accomplished in a couple of weeks (as long as you don't break your regimen---which just prolongs the misery). The emotional/spiritual problem of addiction is best addressed by organizations like Overeaters Anonymous. The meetings are completely free and all you have to do is look them up in your local telephone directory (or online) for a meeting time and place near you. :smile:
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Anyone can see you're an intelligent person by the way you write. You're aware of this addiction you have and as cliched as it sounds, that really is the first step. I strongly recommend you get some help, whether it is seeing a doctor, psychologist, or even attending a meeting in your area like the previous poster suggested. The feelings of guilt and shame associated with addiction are tremendous and they make it hard to think straight, which is why some people have what is called a "moment of clarity." However you can choose at any time to take steps towards a brighter future. I think you've probably tried stopping cold turkey before and it didn't work. That doesn't mean anything about you, it just means that idea didn't work. Accept that you'll eat sugar today, tomorrow, and the next day. But over time, if you take positive steps you can reduce it until it was just a dim memory in your past. Take care :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    South Beach Phase 1. You'll thank me. :flowerforyou:
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    And quit eating it cold turkey - don't phase it out., just stop (I know, easier said than done).

This. If you want to quit sugar, just quit. The first week or so will be hell, but it will get easier, and after a while you won't even miss it. Trust me. I used to be the biggest sugar junkie ever.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You lost me at Fuzzy Peaches.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I've had those late nights that turn into early morning loving on the sweet sweet candy. It got so bad, they had to send me away. I conquered my addiction and you can too!
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    dehydrated fruit, flavored waters, using truvia instead of sugar, sugarfree candy, (do NOT eat more than a serving at a time, bad gastrointestinal things will happen), gum.

if you have netflix watch the "addicted to candy" episode of Freaky Eaters, their experts help a woman get over her addiction to sugar and candy.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    NO SUGAR FOR YOU!
    GET RID OF IT!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

The OP is taking responsibility in recognizing the power that food has had over her and reaching out for something different. She hardly needs your judgment. There is definitely "food addiction" (it is well recognized by many medical authorities) and sugar consumption is increasingly being pointed to as at the center of that addiction. Here is a link to the proceedings of a scientific conference on the subject: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm The list of presenters is impressive.
  • girlnherdog
    Options
    I've had this same problem and found that quitting cold turkey was tough but oh so worth it! I haven't had candy in over a month. It also helps to read about the effects sugar has on your body. Trust me, the things I've learned shook me to the core and explained my family's medical history loud and clear. I've found the book "eating clean for dummies" to be very helpful. Good luck to you and stop eating that garbage! :)
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Willpower. Stop trying to find someone on here to tell you it's ok to have it in moderation.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    dehydrated fruit, flavored waters, using truvia instead of sugar, sugarfree candy, (do NOT eat more than a serving at a time, bad gastrointestinal things will happen), gum.

if you have netflix watch the "addicted to candy" episode of Freaky Eaters, their experts help a woman get over her addiction to sugar and candy.

Unfortunately, it is the fructose portion of sugar (sucrose, i.e. "sugar" is 50% fructose, high fructose corn syrup is even worse at 55% fructose) that is the "addictive" part. Eating ANY fruit (and worse yet, dried fruit, which is very high in fructose) will just prolong the "detox" period. If you just go "cold turkey" the physical addiction is broken in about two weeks (for some people, it only takes a week) and then you can go back to eating normal amounts of low-fructose fruit per day (one or two servings). But if you go back to eating sugar, the sugar addiction (which is progressive, by the way) will start up again. It is very similar to alcohol addiction in its physical aspects (in fact, fructose is assimilated by the liver in ways that are quite similar to how alcohol is assimilated).
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

That's an incredibly offensive and ignorant stance to take.

I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Willpower. Stop trying to find someone on here to tell you it's ok to have it in moderation.

I agree--for those who are truly addicted, telling them to eat sugar "in moderation" is like telling an alcoholic to drink "in moderation".
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, it is the fructose portion of sugar (sucrose, i.e. "sugar" is 50% fructose, high fructose corn syrup is even worse at 55% fructose) that is the "addictive" part. Eating ANY fruit (and worse yet, dried fruit, which is very high in fructose) will just prolong the "detox" period. If you just go "cold turkey" the physical addiction is broken in about two weeks (for some people, it only takes a week) and then you can go back to eating normal amounts of low-fructose fruit per day (one or two servings). But if you go back to eating sugar, the sugar addiction (which is progressive, by the way) will start up again. It is very similar to alcohol addiction in its physical aspects (in fact, fructose is assimilated by the liver in ways that are quite similar to how alcohol is assimilated).

I don't advocate for dried fruit. dehydrated fruit is much lower in calories and has a lot less sugar than dried.

If OP really thinks they needs to stop cold turkey, they should do that. but if it is more of a mental thing, aka dealing with other issues by overeating sugar, than replacing it with healthier options and dealing with the other demons (whether it be seeing a doctor or therapist, or stress relief activities) is the route to go.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The simple (and difficult) answer is this. You need to take responsibility and control of your eating. You need to remove all sources of sugar from the house. You need to cook your own meals at least until the sugar cravings pass. And you need to exercise to give your body that distraction and get it used to the new reality.

Until you can do that, there is no trick or no support group that is going to help you. Good luck!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

The DSM IV may be a better source, even that has left open other addictions, and this is being overhauled and improved for the DSM-5
  • raspberrytartgirl
    raspberrytartgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem accept for that fact its craving sweets. I find when I eat fruit with each meal I don't crave the sweets as much. the natural sugar is okay its your sugar in cookies, cakes, pies etc that is a problem. they have a no sugar group here on mfp and a group for sweet addicts. they are inactive ones.