27, never married and no kids?

Options

Replies

• jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40, never married, no kids. I ended up in two back to back long term relationships (13 years total) with guys that did not want children, I just sort of hoped they'd change their mind as we got older but we split ways eventually for other reasons.
    I have been with my current boyfriend almost 3 years, he would like to have a child but we're not sure if either of us are physically able to conceive, and I'm way too out of shape right now to be a full time hard working 40 year old with a baby. We are open to it if our situation allows and if we are able to conceive naturally before it's too late! Not sure when the marriage is coming but at this point it's not a priority, we already own a house together.

I think the older I got, the less I worried about everything happening the way society says it's supposed to...
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    27 is about the average I believe, I'll be married next summer but no kids here! Feel free to add me. Okay, I have a pug and she's like a kid but she's way awesomer.
  • jezy_jass
    jezy_jass Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm 27, never been married and have no kids. Although I do have 2 dogs & 6 ducks!
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    27, long term relationship, don't really wanna have children. And i feel just great about that. I'm not gonna let society tell me how to live my life. If there ever comes a time that i change my mind, fine, but it's going to be because of me, not because "it's really time for you to have a baby" or "you're next, right?" or "oooh, a baby suits you, you need to get yourself one". Seriously? Go pressure someone else. People need to mind their own business.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    37, no kids, never married. No plans for either.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    There have been times when I wished I wasn't married, does that count? :bigsmile: JK
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Its society and how we paint the picture of living a "perfect" life....great kids, perfect house, perfect husband. Its all a bunch of crap. So dont worry...having kids is not for everyone and definitely dont feel bad about that choice. Just do what your soul tells you is right for YOU...not anyone else :smile:
  • saviarre
    saviarre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 30, never married, no children... and I'm quite alright with that. As far as never being married goes, I don't think I can stand anyone to consider the idea of marriage. To me, marriage is forever, and given my past dating history and knowing that I make seriously bad decisions, I think it's a good idea for me to avoid the whole marriage thing completely. When it comes to kids, while I love them (and hate them sometimes), I'm severely tokophobic (fear of pregnancy & childbirth). While most women think that children are the most amazing thing ever, the idea makes me physically sick.

Strangely, though... perhaps someday when I've done everything I want to do in life I might be more open to the idea. As it is right now.... It's just not for me.

I have a dog though who is my best friend. I'd say I'm quite content.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 ,married to my highschool sweetheart for almost 5 years and we have two little girls!! I wouldn't have it any other way. But everyone is different...you're definitely not weird!! :)
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thats not weird at all!!!! If anything, thats normal because people are getting married at all different ages now!

I'm 24, obviously not married and no kids. I am young, but some I know are getting married at my age and I think thats crazy!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 never married - although I do live with my partner and no kids with no desire to have any. We're all different - it's what makes the world go round :-)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    34. 1 husband of 9 years, 0 kids. And no plans to make any. :) You're not weird.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few friends that are happy and single (and also homeowners). :)

I'm married and no kids so I understand what it's like to live out of societal norms (together nearly 19 years, kid-free by choice).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    34. 1 husband of 9 years, 0 kids. And no plans to make any. :) You're not weird.

Yay, another kid-free by choice person on here! :flowerforyou:
  • EPITCH
    EPITCH Posts: 10
    Options
    I will tell ALL of you, it is way better to do it RIGHT the first time than to do it wrong just to be doing it. I am 38, divorced, with a wonderful son but believe me when I say it takes up a LOT of time. Just do what you do and enjoy life but know that staying healthy is much more satisfying because of the energy and feeling you get being that way. GO EVERYONE GO!!! Friend me, if you want. I am just getting after it everyday!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Not weird at all. Personally I think 30+ is a good time to get married just because you and your partner have had time to really figure your self out mentally, emotionally and financially. I mean if you make it work younger good for you but I have NEVER seen a young married couple last more than 5-10 years.

That comment is so annoying.

I was married at 20 and hubby was 24. We have 3 kids ages almost 10, 7 and 5 and we just celebrated 11 years of marriage. And we have an awesome marriage!

Yep that is annoying. I'm 36 and we got married at age 23. So this will be year 13 of marriage and 19 years together. :drinker:
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all. Personally I think 30+ is a good time to get married just because you and your partner have had time to really figure your self out mentally, emotionally and financially. I mean if you make it work younger good for you but I have NEVER seen a young married couple last more than 5-10 years.

I was married at 20 and hubby was 24. We have 3 kids ages almost 10, 7 and 5 and we just celebrated 11 years of marriage. And we have an awesome marriage!

I think the comment was pretty accurate. Divorce rates for those 18 and under are nearly double those of the 25 and older crowd. The younger you are, the more likely you are to be divorced. Just be happy you're the exception.
  • kayleefrye2012
    Options
    I am 19 married, no kids, and a dog. haha. I feel left of the group because all my friends where I live are single. I just found mine early I guess. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options

I think the comment was pretty accurate. Divorce rates for those 18 and under are nearly double those of the 25 and older crowd. The younger you are, the more likely you are to be divorced. Just be happy you're the exception.

Here in Massachusetts we have one of the lowest divorce rates in the country. On average the age of first marriage here is 28. I got married when I was 23 and I'm 36 now. Since we're nearly a decade into allowing gay marriage (or as we call it here just "marriage") the theory is that this is only helping our divorce rates stay so low. We do it right in New England, what can I say?
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Almost 25, married, no kids and never going to have any. While my friends are fretting over college savings funds, I'd rather fret over getting to multiple countries before I'm 50. And there's always adoption if we change our minds. I don't feel the need to have my "own" children.

Although I'd like to have more furry babies. :bigsmile: