Walmart customers

Options

Replies

• SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't think my Walmart is that bad. I've not see any POW lol. I'm there every week =\.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    WOW WOW WOW, i was already expecting the post itself to be awful but to read all those judgmental,nasty, stereotypical comments was unexpected. What have we come to? You shouldn't judge people by the way they look and that is the most important thing you can teach your child! You don't know the individual person's story. You don't know if they have a medical condition, maybe they had an injury that lead to bedrest and weight gain, maybe they just gained weight as a consequence of a depression. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THROUGH. What bothers me the most is by the way you wrote your post, that you clearly consider obese or overweight people to be worth lessf or less-than because of their size. If you think you help the situation with your judgment, well you don't.

You too the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree with you more.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I AM one of those people of Wal-Mart. Today my boss had to tell me my sweater was on inside out before we had a big meeting. Lets face it, I am broke, can barely afford food let alone new clothes and I hate the way I look. I avoid mirrors at all costs and quit caring if I offend people by the way I look when I am out shopping.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is a backlash against stating the fact that a majority of Walmart customers are overweight (as it has been pointed out a majority of people everywhere are overweight). Are you mad at that fact or mad that people are pointing it out? The original point was that *for me* Walmart is more depressing than, say, Macy's, Whole Foods, or even Target(!).

Not sure why people get offended at an opinion that is based in a fact that the company even acknowledges.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I find this comment to be totally judgmental and ridiculous. You must be so focused on your
    own weight that is all you see at your Walmart. Our community has 2 big Walmart Super Centers,
    our basic source for groceries. LOOK AROUND AGAIN AND NOTICE ALL PEOPLE OF ALL
    SIZES. FIND COMPASSION AND KINDNESS!!
    Uplift all those who use Myfitness to better themselves.
    We should all come to this forum for kindness, compassion, understanding and encouragement.
    This!!!! Kindness goes a long way and judging people really shouldn't be your job,
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    WOW WOW WOW, i was already expecting the post itself to be awful but to read all those judgmental,nasty, stereotypical comments was unexpected. What have we come to? You shouldn't judge people by the way they look and that is the most important thing you can teach your child! You don't know the individual person's story. You don't know if they have a medical condition, maybe they had an injury that lead to bedrest and weight gain, maybe they just gained weight as a consequence of a depression. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THROUGH. What bothers me the most is by the way you wrote your post, that you clearly consider obese or overweight people to be worth lessf or less-than because of their size. If you think you help the situation with your judgment, well you don't.

You too the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree with you more.
    And both of these comments :drinker:
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but what about the sheer quantity of food that they're eating? Who do you blame for that?

It's because what they are eating is NOT food. It is chemicals. They eat more because they are deficient in nutrients and never satisfied. It is a cycle.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    This must only be an American phenomena in Canada I have yet to see these "Walmart people"

hahah come to my walmart... no seriously come see the people in my walmart they are hilarious. Not that they are over weight and unhealthy but the things they wear OMG.... I had to go there one night closer to close and I was in my PJ's and I made a point of changing before going and my roomate laughed at me because he said "dude, you will look normal no one will even notice you are in your pj's. just go" he was right no one would have ever known.

Oh and also... I shop at walmart... I actually buy majority of food at walmart and I eat really healthy, but if I can buy it for cheaper there I will - I tend to stay out of the inner isles but I do that at a regular grocery store too.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This must only be an American phenomena in Canada I have yet to see these "Walmart people"

Come on over to Saskatchewan LOL!! They're EVERYWHERE!!!! Especially the older Walmarts, that haven't been made over to the Supercentre yet :huh:
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Concerning yourself with other people's deemed "questionable" lifestyles won't do anything except make you a food/store snob.

ETA: I just reread what I wrote, and I want to clarify that I wasn't aiming that directly at you OP. Just in general think that people should just worry about themselves. People will do what they do and we will do what we do.

I have come to realize this is so true. I use to harp at my family and offer unwanted advice when it comes to what they are eating. I will eat healthy and try to make good food and lifestyle decisions and until they get the "fitness bug", I'll keep my mouth shut from now on and let them continue eating crap.:wink:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is a backlash against stating the fact that a majority of Walmart customers are overweight (as it has been pointed out a majority of people everywhere are overweight). Are you mad at that fact or mad that people are pointing it out? The original point was that *for me* Walmart is more depressing than, say, Macy's, Whole Foods, or even Target(!).

Not sure why people get offended at an opinion that is based in a fact that the company even acknowledges.

Well I'm pretty fat I guess a typical people of Wal-Mart, but I've had my fat azz in Macy's buying perfume and jewlery, whole foods, target (glorified overpriced wal-mart), and Nordstroms. I go to "normal" stores and I go to the abnormal wal-mart (more often than not because it's the closest to my town). Makes me want to go into more "normal" stores and dress like a person of wal-mart think miles of rolls and unshaved legs, get my picutre taken and develop a site called "people of abercrombie and fitch."

You dont have to answer this, but I want you to think about this. Where do you live? What is the demographics of your area live? Average income, educational level, ect. Next look at the wal-mart you went to. Where is that in the demographics? Are there many wal-marts in your area? So your observation classifies as fact? interesting I didnt know our perceptions were now called fact. How does wal-mart acknowledge that it caters to obese americans?

here's one site that lists some demos:

http://zipskinny.com/
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    lots of people in pajamas

I HATE this. This is one of my peeves- people going out of their house in pjs. They are officially saying, "I give up on life. I just don't give a damn about myself or anyone anymore!" It's the epitome of lazy. It's one of the signs of the downfall of society when people can't even get dressed when they go out of the house.

I am being overly dramatic, but I HATE THAT.

I have no problem with people doing this. I don't know their situation. Do they have a sick kid at home and needed medication? Have they been studying long and hard for an exam or writing paper after paper for school?

I don't know but it only takes a few seconds to pull on a pair of pants, jeans, shorts. I for one would not want to get into bed wearing clothing that I had worn out in public. It's like wearing the dirty clothes I had on all day to bed. yuck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    lots of people in pajamas

I HATE this. This is one of my peeves- people going out of their house in pjs. They are officially saying, "I give up on life. I just don't give a damn about myself or anyone anymore!" It's the epitome of lazy. It's one of the signs of the downfall of society when people can't even get dressed when they go out of the house.

I am being overly dramatic, but I HATE THAT.

I have no problem with people doing this. I don't know their situation. Do they have a sick kid at home and needed medication? Have they been studying long and hard for an exam or writing paper after paper for school?

I don't know but it only takes a few seconds to pull on a pair of pants, jeans, shorts. I for one would not want to get into bed wearing clothing that I had worn out in public. It's like wearing the dirty clothes I had on all day to bed. yuck!

besides who even wears PJ to bed...theres only one way to go to bed and thats in your birthday suit.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

ditto
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You dont have to answer this, but I want you to think about this. Where do you live? What is the demographics of your area live? Average income, educational level, ect. Next look at the wal-mart you went to. Where is that in the demographics? Are there many wal-marts in your area? So your observation classifies as fact? interesting I didnt know our perceptions were now called fact. How does wal-mart acknowledge that it caters to obese americans?

Walmart meeting minutes/reports have detailed a nationwide push to attract more middle to-upper middle income shoppers. That's a pretty good indication they know who their "typical shopper" is and are trying to change that. USDA reports show a direct relationship between income and weight.

I live in a micropolitan area about an hour away from a large city. The average household income here is about $45k. Our income is about double that and we do most of our non-basic shopping in the larger city. We still buy staples like toothpaste and kleenex there because there are no other local options. There are people here that drive 45 minutes away to the nearest Target because they don't like Walmart - we don't do that but I prefer Target if I had the choice. I grew up in an area where Walmart did not exist so I never stepped foot into one until I was 19 and in college in a small rural town.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/403838/phillip-milano/2011-11-07/dare-ask-why-are-walmart-shoppers-so-different-target
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am fat and we are poor. Our family income for 4 was 15k last year. We do not get any government help either. The cheapest food IS fattening. Dollar menu at Mc donalds and every other fast food restaurant. Hated to eat there but it was cheeper than fresh vegetables and fruit to feed 4. Ramen noodles were a staple. I would add eggs to make it go further. I was and still am one of those Walmart people. I was also one that wore pajamas. Know why? Because I have not bought clothes for myself in 8 years. The PJ's were a Christmas gift (my only gift) from my husband who got them at WM for $4.50.
    I am so glad that you pious wealthy, thin people are doing so well that you find entertainment in people who are less fortunate. You stand in judgment and refuse to walk in someone else's shoes. Flame me if you want

I was in a similar situation, it was much cheaper to feed my family off of the dollar menu at mcdonalds than to buy from walmart unless we were buying ramen for a few years. My situation has changed for the better now and so I am trying to get my life and weight straightened out. These people who have never had to choose between getting full off of $1 and paying for medicine or diapers or paying $3-5 for a pint of strawberries will never understand.

See this is where I start to fall apart with it a bit. Family of 4, 4 McDonald's cheeseburgers, $4 bucks, plus tax.

Or. One lb of beans (dry bagged), one lb bag of rice, a 1 lb bag of frozen mixed veggies, and hell, lets throw in a couple cans of tuna fish. For four people that's probably 2 meals easily for the same price as your 'full belly on a dollar apiece' you could have had two full bellies on a dollar apiece. And that's assuming no one got fries. Want fries with that? Well now we can get things like chicken and more veggies to stretch that stuff out further.

It's not a wal mart thing. It's a perception thing. Fast food is really not cheaper. It really isn't.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Walmart meeting minutes/reports have detailed a nationwide push to attract more middle to-upper middle income shoppers. That's a pretty good indication they know who their "typical shopper" is and are trying to change that. USDA reports show a direct relationship between income and weight.

I live in a micropolitan area about an hour away from a large city. The average household income here is about $45k. Our income is about double that and we do most of our non-basic shopping in the larger city. We still buy staples like toothpaste and kleenex there because there are no other local options. There are people here that drive 45 minutes away to the nearest Target because they don't like Walmart - we don't do that but I prefer Target if I had the choice. I grew up in an area where Walmart did not exist so I never stepped foot into one until I was 19 and in college in a small rural town.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/403838/phillip-milano/2011-11-07/dare-ask-why-are-walmart-shoppers-so-different-target

Interesting, I wonder how much that would hurt wal-mart in the long run. They would have to raise prices. I dont see them making that change honestly. Be interesting to see where the new wal-mart stores are going up. I bet it continues to be poor neighborhoods and rural areas. I still dont understand this Target is better mentality. It's another super chain. However, when I lived in a prominent area in Las Vegas I often heard about people never going into a wal-mart. I never understood it, but wal-mart and my grandma put me through college.

So I guess you live in the east or northwest since the west and south much more quickly adopted wal-mart chains.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    People on low incomes need to work hard to stretch their money every month. Foods with lots of carbs but little of any other nutrients are cheap and filling. If you were a parent of 4 young children, and you had only $25 for groceries, I bet you would be buying a lot of bread, macaroni, and other starchy foods to fill those little tummies. I agree with the poster who said that the OP knew this would be inflammatory. If the OP is too "depressed" when going to WalMart and seeing these people, I'm sure he is free to go elsewhere.

I have no sympathy for a woman who had four kids she knew she couldn't afford.

^^ ^^ I was wondering when someone would bring this up.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    People on low incomes need to work hard to stretch their money every month. Foods with lots of carbs but little of any other nutrients are cheap and filling. If you were a parent of 4 young children, and you had only $25 for groceries, I bet you would be buying a lot of bread, macaroni, and other starchy foods to fill those little tummies. I agree with the poster who said that the OP knew this would be inflammatory. If the OP is too "depressed" when going to WalMart and seeing these people, I'm sure he is free to go elsewhere.

I have no sympathy for a woman who had four kids she knew she couldn't afford.

^^ ^^ I was wondering when someone would bring this up. lol. Birth control is like $20 a month, pack of condoms $15. Cheaper than 4 kids anyday.

Ouch you people are harsh. Well I hope bad situations never happen to your family. As one economist once said we all are about 2 paychecks away from being homeless.