Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    your right.
  • armywf07
    armywf07 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was in walmart a couple days ago and saw woman with 4 kids and cart full of unhealthy junk food, soda, chips, candy and more and paying with food stamps. I think the only healthy food was the wic items. Her oldest child who couldn't of been no more 7 or 8 was severely over weight. I felt so bad for them kids. worst of mom was rocking and iphone 5 and a coach bag.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I shop at walmart every week. And Ive never noticed a difference in products from a normal grocery store. They sell unhealthy foods, healthy foods, paper product and all the toiletries you could ask for. A store doesn't control what people eat anymore than a restaurant does. It is up the individual person to make the right choices. Shop the outer rim of the store.

Yes. This. I had my kids when we could afford them, but we've fallen on hard times since then. My husband went from a full-time active duty soldier to a retired disabled veteran. Now we have two kids. Yes, I'm on WIC. Yes, I'm on food stamps. I'm working hard to take care of my kids and I'm taking double courses at college so I can get a good job to help support them. I've never been overweight a day in my life--the highest I've ever weighed, at 5'7", is 175 lbs, and I was 9 months pregnant. Not pregnant, I've never weighed more than 157. Yes, I shop at Wal-Mart. They're close by (so I spend less on fuel) and they're cheaper. I can still buy healthy foods from Wal-Mart. It's all about making healthy choices.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It may be the region of the country. I know when I lived in Texas, in Hidalgo county (down in the "foot" of Texas), the obesity rate was probably over 50%, and the poverty there was pretty bad; in fact, my husband (he was a social worker down there) said that Hidalgo county was THE poorest county in the US--in the richest state in the US!

Uh sorry no. Texas isn't the richest state in the US. We're not even in the top 10.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
  • sandhillcrane
    sandhillcrane Posts: 301
    Options
    I think your observation is spot on! Unfortunately, cheap food = fattening food. :huh:
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Something so many people (including those here) seem to miss is that sometimes it isn't merely the cost of the food that hinders those in the lower socioeconomic bracket to eat poorly. Pots, pans, crock pots, cooking utensils, stoves, etc also cost money. Yes, people can and do shop around, even at thrift stores, and find good deals. But this is something else that many poor people don't have.

Time.

Time to make weekly trips to buy fresh, perishable groceries. Time to cook healthier meals from scratch because they are working two low-wage jobs. Time to take the bus to the grocery store, because they also can't afford a vehicle and things like grocery stores and farmer's markets don't set up in low income areas. Fast food restaurants and gas stations do.

People often do the best they can with what they have. Sometimes they lack the resources to do better, be those resources time, money, and even the knowledge of how to manage or budget their time and money. Kindness never literally killed anyone, so how about cutting folks some slack instead of being so judgemental.
  • gino715
    gino715 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can be poor and over weight and still look very presentable. You can be wealthy and look like a fat slob. It all revolves around you and how you take care of yourself.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Look at the crap walmart sells as "food" its all processed prepackaged garbage i shop there some because well i live in alaska choices are extremely over priced fred myers and save way or walmart. People dont like to have to put effort into their food anymore. I have learned to really enjoy cooking. Its helped A LOT.

No, no, no.

Let me say this. I do ALL of my grocery shopping at walmart, maybe once in a blue moon I will go somewhere else. I still have access to produce both fresh and frozen, meats, yogurt, cheese, eggs, milk, whole grains, whole wheat products, etc. This is a very broad generalization that is simply not true. EVERY SINGLE GROCERY STORE that you will ever walk into will sell processed food. It is OUR JOB to not pick it up.

-rant over-

WOW! You sure use a lot of caps...are you yelling or being expressive. Hope you FULLY Expressed Yourself!

Haaaaaaa oh my god, a funny and original comment about somebody using caps lock!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    [

Think of it as inspiration.

So why would these women only be shopping at wal-mart? Why would we not expect to see them in a Nordstroms, LL Bean, Abercrombie and Fitch, Williams & Sonoma, or a Whole Foods? Sorry my argument is not quite fully formed, but I see a class/racial thing developing.
    Because there is a direct correlation between poverty and overweight. Not only in the US, but in many other places.
    Poor people are forced to buy the cheapest items as far as food and consumer goods are concerned and maybe in the US ( I don't know for sure ) that is WalMart. People who do not make a living wage or live of government assistance just cannot shop at l.L.Bean or Whole Foods.

In addition, (1) people in poverty often live in food deserts, where it difficult to get fresh produce, etc. or the transportation costs of going out of the neighborhood (not just in cost or time) are prohibitive; (2) the working poor are often working more than one job making it more difficult to plan and cook, and (3) people in povery soemtimes don't have (for lack of a more dated term) the home economics skills to make it work in terms of not only cooking skill, but equipment, budgetting and storage.

Yes, it is possible to still make healthy choices, but think about how much more difficult it would be if you had one burner, a single pot, and intermittent electricity for your refrigerator.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    some previous posters have mentioned how walmart's were only in lower income areas etc.... this is not true, well, maybe because I am in Canada. I live in a very high income neighborhood and we have walmartt! boo ya!

I also shop there frequently because its sooo cheap,and its a one-stop-shop. I can get all my house things,toiletries,groceries at one store. They have a great produce section too;)

Make the right choices ppl, processed stuff is everywhere!!!
  • MantisToboggan_MD
    MantisToboggan_MD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Must be just your town Bella. Mine here in Nova Scotia is rife with potentials for Peopleof Walmart.com.

True enough. This guy was menacing the customers in my favorite Wal-Mart just this week:

trailer_park_boys_ricky.jpg
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Ok, so what I've learned on the forums lately is a) people are judging me for what's in my cart and b) what I'm wearing in Walmart. So take last Saturday for example, now I live only a few blocks from a Wal-mart. I was doing my yard clean up, mowing the lawn, picking weeds, etc. I needed some weed killer, so in all my XL jogger glory I just ran over to Walmart to pick some more up. I didn't change out of my gardening clothes, I went with dirt under my nails, and while I was there I picked up some chips and a few cases of pop that were on sale for my bbq party that evening. According to your judgements, I'm on welfare and can't take care of myself? Keep in mind I'm carrying an extra 60lbs of fat around. That's creepy as hell.
  • wwhickok
    wwhickok Posts: 29
    Options
    First of all, as a rather 'small' guy myself who's personal goes are to get fit and gain muscle mass, I hate even talking about weight for fear that my not so savvy way with words will offend someone.

But as an avid shopper or at least 'browser' with my family, it's fair to say that when you are out and about, if you're looking for them, you're going to see a LOT of 'overweight' people. But if you're looking for them, you're going to see a lot of skinny people, average people, etc.

I do think this is somewhat a subconscious reaction to look for certain people because I haven't noticed that all the "overweight" people flock to one store only. I think the idea of that is absurd to be honest.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I fed a family of five on $50-$60 a week and it was doable with a bit of planning.
    I shopped a lot at Aldi (which is cheaper than Walmart), cooked and baked a lot from scratch-right down to the cream of soup I needed for recipes, and cut out things that weren't truly necessary like paper towel etc. Also, during the summer I shopped a lot at farmers markets and also U Pick farms and then flash froze produce for the winter months. Also did things like batch applesauce and jam when prices were low/fruit in season, and then froze it (plastic canning jars are the best invention ever!).

Today family of five and we have $90 a week for groceries. I also pack two lunches a day for my girls at school because it's cheaper than the school lunches. This fall I'll be packing three lunches when my youngest heads off to kindergarten :)

:heart: you!