PCOS success stories without Metformin? Need Motivation!

Options

Replies

• Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Primal diet works for me.

And plenty of exercise. Definitely don't need drugs. I did a lot of research on this for a uni course I was doing and in Holland they had found diet and exercise are MORE effective than metformin. Good luck.

If the above is referring to Holland/Netherlands, in Europe, then here in the Holland/Netherlands they do not give out Metformin for PCOS, I am from the UK, living in the Netherlands and asked about Metformin, and I go a straight NO! :(
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am not a success story...YET! I have just been watching the portion control and working out more. I have only lost 7 pounds in 2 months, but that is SEVEN pounds! I hated metformin... It made me feel so terrible! I am dreading the day I have to go back tot he doctor and she tells me she wants me back on it. I have 10 more pounds to lose first. I gained too much weight in the last year of TTC with different meds and procedures, so she said she wanted me to lose 15 before she could work with me again! :( So that is the goal!! Anyone can friend me if they need some support or motivation!!!!
  • MoreOfJen
    MoreOfJen Posts: 13
    Options
    I think my doctor in the Netherlands doesn't know much about PCOS... he hasn't even given me much information about PCOS. I read it all on the web. He only said: there is a lot of written about PCOS, don't believe everything. He further stated that it doesn't mean I can't have a baby. Basically, he said: you have PCOS. There is no cure, live with it. See you next time, bye! I'm not ready to have a child, in the future I would love to have one. But I think I have to work on myself first, before I can give my all to raise a child. My first goal is to achieve the "healthy weight" according to the BMI-standard, which is about 7 kg. I guess I have to be my own doctor.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds without Metformin using diet and exercise (and for some of it, I was on a doctor-supervised low-carb, very low calorie diet... 3 weeks and 20 pounds off). However, I have been plateaued for about a year now. I started taking Metformin about a month ago but it hasn't helped. It did seem to make my weight more "stable" and less prone to day-to-day fluctuations.

So long as I take Metformin with food, I don't have any side effects. If I forget to eat with it, I can usually find myself in the bathroom 2 hours later.

I am currently in the process of working with my new GYN to fully understand my individual condition and figuring out the best course of action for me. I am very intrigued at the whole concept of excessive estrogen in my system because I have a lot of things going on and I hate to think they are not all related somehow.
  • MoreOfJen
    Options
    I just found out that the winner of the Biggest Loser USA season 11, Olivia Ward and runner up Hannah Curlee also have/had PCOS! I don't know if they used Metformin for losing those weight, but they are PCOS weight loss success stories. They have information about their new lifestyle on Youtube, called: MyFitspiration. Sharing some inspirations!
  • MoreOfJen
    Options
    Bumb
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years and didn't really focus on losing the weight until this year.. I was put on metformin right away but not to deal with weight issues but the ovulation issues. As I can't believe I'm losing weight it's the best feeling knowing that I'm doing this with no medications, just being conscious of carb intake the weight is just falling off, and i'm actually losing weight as fast as someone that doesn't have PCOS. I've been overweight my whole life so this is so exciting for me :) any body feel free to add me for support, losing weight with PCOS is possible and it feels great.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I am curious to find out how all of you were diagnosed with PCOS?? I went to a new Dr he did blood work and told me that I had PCOS, he also said that I had hormonal imbalanced. he put me on hormone medication, metformin and thyroid medicine.

I hated the way I felt with the medication, I felt like I was retaining a lot more water and was gaining weight vs loosing. I went for a second opinion took the medication and my blood work and the Dr told me that I should be on any medication that according to the blood work all my levels were fine. I did not need hormone medication, thyroid medication or the metformin. He said that the test I had done was not even testing me for PCOS.

I know i can drop the weight without any medication
  • MoreOfJen
    Options
    I am curious to find out how all of you were diagnosed with PCOS?? I went to a new Dr he did blood work and told me that I had PCOS, he also said that I had hormonal imbalanced. he put me on hormone medication, metformin and thyroid medicine.

I hated the way I felt with the medication, I felt like I was retaining a lot more water and was gaining weight vs loosing. I went for a second opinion took the medication and my blood work and the Dr told me that I should be on any medication that according to the blood work all my levels were fine. I did not need hormone medication, thyroid medication or the metformin. He said that the test I had done was not even testing me for PCOS.

I know i can drop the weight without any medication

I was diagnosed twice: one time in a foreign country and another time in my own country. Both were diagnosed through an ultrasound at the gyn based on that they saw a lot of Cysts. The first time I went to the hospital, was because I had a period of 6 weeks already. They told me it was PCOS, but I thought... maybe it is better to be diagnosed by my own doctor in the Netherlands. No bloodtest or whatsoever was taken.

I must say I had symptoms when I was a teenager, such as irregular period, weight gain, spots etc. My doctor at the time told me it was due to that I was stressed out about school and that some woman have a regular period not until they reach 35 years old...
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed by blood tests and a internal ultrasound.
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So I was on Metformin, and some other medication and miserable. I actually gained on the medications and was feeling tired and weak all of the time.

I was working out all of the time and not seeing any loss. I managed to some how stay the same weight for over 6 months even with lower calorie intake.

I gave up the medications and only stayed on birth control because I need some kind of balance. Instead of cardio all of the time I switched to strength training and NOW finally after all this time I am seeing results.

Not scale results, but actual inches lost results. I have no idea if I have lost or not yet as I do not own a scale but I am seeing a major difference so far in only a few weeks of strength training.

Also I tend to avoid a lot of carbs as it seems to be a PCOSers worse nightmare.

I hope this helps.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Keto lifestyle. My diary is open if you are wanting to take a peek :)
  • debbielh412
    debbielh412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Low carb, high protein (150g a day typically), staying active and trying to make every calorie count. I take Vitamin D and Chromium supplements but no Metformin. About 30 lbs down! :) It IS possible!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights are great for hormone imbalance as muscle and fat deal with them differently (fat plus oestrogen does not a happy couple make)... Go lift heavy things girls! :-)
  • MacDHH
    MacDHH Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not really a success story yet, but I am halfway to my goal and feeling pretty happy about it. I've lost 10 kg and am working on losing another 10. I have never taken metformin, and from what a fellow PCOS lady here told me, it is not common to prescribe it for PCOS where I live now (Germany). I was diagnosed at 23, based on my symptoms, the drs. did a lot of blood work (I remember my testosterone was high and a few other things as well), and I have also had ultrasounds which confirmed the cysts.

It's tough going, but you can do it!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and dont take metformin. I have lost 182 pounds with another 40 pounds to go...so yes it definitely can be done :)

I realised I didnt answer half your question :ohwell: so I ate 1800 calories most of my weight loss. The only real rule I had was most nights to avoid starchy carbs with my evening meal (i eat bread, cereal, pasta etc with breakfast n lunch) Exercise wise I did a lot of cardio with 1-2 resistance sessions a week...ive included some pics so u can see my progress :)

Before:
    1704image2.png
    1704image1.gif

Current
    295348_10151655367901062_1127589343_n_zpsb14c7493.jpg
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I had PCOS and never took metformin

I ate within my cal goal (usually around 1600/1700) and exercised occasionally (3 - 4x a week for half hour). I eat everything within moderation, make sure I stuck to portion sizes. I lost 27kg over about 14 months. I stayed motivated because I knew every step I made forward was a step away from that unhappy lump laying on the couch all day in pain.

Last doc visit confirmed I no longer have PCOS :)
  • debbielh412
    debbielh412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    beforecurrent.jpg

Here is my progress so far...I'm about halfway to my goal. :)
  • alicebot
    alicebot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    WOW! These stories are amazing. I struggle with Pcos and underactive thyroid everyday. I am hopeful that oen day I would see my goal weight on the SCALE I hate so much. :)
  • Luckldy31
    Luckldy31 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wasn't diagnosed with PCOS until after I had to have an ovary removed, so I don't know if my situation is different, but I was on met for about 3 months, switched the dosage around for a few more months to see if it would help, but, made me sick as a dog even on the lowest dose. They also put me on birth control which made me gain weight like crazy... So I started seeing a naturopath who specializes in PCOS and she switched me to inositol powder, which can be found at any vitamin store. It helps with insulin-resistance (same as Met). So far, no side effects, not really noticing any added weight loss, but I've only been on it for a week, and it was just memorial day weekend and my mom made some really good food, so... yeah... but even though I ate bad, I didn't have side effects from it. So maybe ask your doctor about it?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!