help! addicted to sugar

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am noticing a trend with my ignore list its al shirtless men who have an ego issue who think that they must assert their dominance on the internet lol Why do I think Highlander every time I see a idiotic troll.

How about shirtless women? It will probably serve you well to actually listen to some of those shirtless men.

H'mm.......no thanks, I'll listen to the proven studies, thank you

LOL - was the question directed at you?

it's a public forum......h'mm your point is?

My point should have been pretty obvious...I did not ask you the question...I wonder why you felt the need to respond...hmmmm

there are a lot of people addressing other people on these forums, yet someone else will respond. why am i expected to be any different? :noway:

You forgot the h'mm that time.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I am noticing a trend with my ignore list its al shirtless men who have an ego issue who think that they must assert their dominance on the internet lol Why do I think Highlander every time I see a idiotic troll.

How about shirtless women? It will probably serve you well to actually listen to some of those shirtless men.

Wow, you've been extremely antagonistic throughout this entire thread. :noway:

that's your opinion.....I've found myself to be defending my stance just as you found yourself to be defending shirtless men

Good luck to you in your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    "...I wonder if there are any women who have been overweight but lost weight on a non low carb diet without 2-3 hrs in the gym."

Calorie restriction alone will cause weight loss but the other bio-chemical problems are not addressed through calorie-restriction alone. If proper nutrition is not a part of the scene, she will regain. That is why 97% (IIRC) of obese people (and I suspect it is even a higher proportion of obese women) regain all of the weight (plus more) that they lost, within a short period of time, after a standard low-fat/calorie-restricted diet has ended. Unless she is obsessively vigilant, she will regain while eating sugar and starch. Many women have figured this out for themselves. I have not regained an ounce in three years. And my experience was yo-yo weight-gain/weight-loss for many years before that. What you are saying is destructive.

ETA: I must leave for my swim session. I will return to the discussion later today.

IMO there are two separate issues here. One is weight loss, which is the same for everyone calories in < calories out. No one is immune to it. The second issue is nutrition, which can different for everyone particularily those with medical conditions, allergies, and food intolerances. A normal healthy person can eat whatever they want as long as calories in < calories out. A person with one or more of the problems listed above have to eat in accordance to what's good for their condition but even if they don't they can still lose weight based on calories in < calories out.

Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone can benifit from eating a nutrious healthy whole unprocessed foods. I believe eating healthy is medicine for people with conditions and it's good as preventative measures for normally healthy people. I do think eating healthy for normally healthy people is a personal preferance. Let's not confuse nutrition with weight loss. You don't have to be "healthy" to lose weight. You don't have to have nutrition to lose weight. (ie starving people in 3rd world countries still lose weight.) You only need your calories in to be less then your calories out. IMO being healthy and eating healthy are even two separate issues. Lot's of healthy people eat whatever. A lot of unhealthy people eat healthy. A large part of health is genetic. My suggestion it to find out what works for you and continue on. When you recieve advice in the forums take it or leave it.... RESULTS will vary. Your experiences and results will be different then the advisers.

Yes--I understand your point of view. However, what is the point of losing, only to regain? The wider issue that the OP was going for, I think, is her issue of "sugar addiction" (and I'm guessing she is also addicted to simple carbs as well--the two seem to go together). Just as an alcoholic is advised to simply abstain from alcohol, so an obese (30% or more above "ideal" lean weight) sugar/simple carb addict must refrain from them to bring her hormones, leptin, insulin, adiponectin, cortisol, human growth hormone, etc. (all of which have a bearing on adiposity) back to a healthier level. At the same time, she must increase her level of exercise, as that will aid in correcting her hormones, in addition to burning calories and enabling her to eat more nourishing food to "heal" her body of its derangement.

I have no problem with low carb. It helps regulate blood sugar and certainly can help combat sugar cravings specifically for sugar addicts. I am a sugar addict as well. I also have PCOS which caused me to be insulin resistant and border line diabetic. Low carb and quiting all processed sugar helped me get a handle on my addiction and my medical issues. However, low carb is not the ONLY way to lose weight and keep it off for women. Once a woman has lost most of her excess weight and changes her lifestyle, she learns portion control, he blood sugar regulates, and her hormones regulate thus allowing her to eat carbs in moderation with going crazy. It can and does happen. If a women tries to restrict herself for ever on something as broad as carbs.... she will NEVER IMO keep the weight off. It'd be like dieting for the rest of your life which is not sustainable.

I'm at the three-year mark since I cut out sugar/simple carbs and I have no inclination to leave my current healthy diet. I have not regained an ounce in all that time--in fact, I have slowly lost weight. I do not feel at all deprived--I feel healthier and well-nourished. :smile:

ETA: I think the important part of "abstaining" is to concentrate on the positives (better health and appreciating whole nourishing food) rather than obsessing over the "negative" of not being able to eat doughnuts, cookies, etc. Right now, I am chomping away on a delicious salad of organic grape tomatoes, organic cucumber, organic baby carrots, organic green pepper, scallions, organic avocado, organic raw milk cheddar, and a lovely salad dressing made with organic whole milk yogurt. A crummy old cookie or doughnut could never compare. :smile:

You are one of a kind. Most people can not completely stay away from sugar for the rest of their life. But in all seriousness, congrats I am happy for you and proud of you for achieve and maintaining your goal!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

"I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine."

So what was the point of that post? You were talking about people and addiction then make a statement based off of an animal model. By writing them in the same paragraph, it looks like you are implying that sugar is as addictive as cocaine in humans.

I see your point. I said that to reason why I have been reading articles around the mechanisms of addiction and why I was put off by your blatant disregard to the possibility that sugar is addictive. I see and work with people who struggle with addiction and the related shame and stigma daily.
    Fact: Studies are showing that sugar is addictive.
    Fact: Some people are more prone to addiction than others

As for the studies showing sugar is addictive, the few rat studies I've looked it, uses an intermittent calorically restricted diet for 12 hrs or and then allows ad lib sugar and food, which the rats will then binge on. However based off of other various rat studies, that 12 hrs without food is equivalent in human terms to somewhere around 3-5 days. We have seen similar behavior after the Minnesota starvation study after the period of semi starvation. Does that necessarily mean food or sugar is addictive when you've restricted food for so long?

As for the brain imaging studies, simply stimulating the same areas of the brain does not mean something is addictive.

There's no argument from me that some people are more prone to addiction than others, but simply having people state anecdotal evidence and animal studies is flimsy "proof" that it is an addictive substance in humans
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

Wow, you've been extremely antagonistic throughout this entire thread. :noway:

that's your opinion.....I've found myself to be defending my stance just as you found yourself to be defending shirtless men

Good luck to you in your goals. :flowerforyou:

you too on yours :flowerforyou:
  • molliewolfe
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Desire for sugar can be all consuming. I agree with everyone who says you gotta cut it out cold turkey. That has worked for me in the past - but it takes A LOT of willpower. Both to go cold turkey and to stay away from it. You can do it!
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

look it up. there IS such a thing. its also mental in that it affects your serotonin levels and is even linked to depression. i am one of those people. i had to cut it out completely. one tiny piece of chocolate will send me into a week long carb and sugar binge. i even sweat at night in withdrawal when i havent had sugar. coming off a pretty tough binge from last weekend and i have sweat at night, EVERY night, this week.

i said no to the donuts in the break room this morning.

Try looking up "sugar addiction" at the NIH or DSM and see what pops up.

Also you had 4 pieces of choc yesterday, is the weeklong sugar and carb binge starting today? Do you generally eat 0 carb since carbs are saccharides?

i didnt actually eat 4 chocolates yesterday. i used that in place of some samples i had at Sam's Club, that i didnt want to take time to log.

wow.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

"I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine."

So what was the point of that post? You were talking about people and addiction then make a statement based off of an animal model. By writing them in the same paragraph, it looks like you are implying that sugar is as addictive as cocaine in humans.

I see your point. I said that to reason why I have been reading articles around the mechanisms of addiction and why I was put off by your blatant disregard to the possibility that sugar is addictive. I see and work with people who struggle with addiction and the related shame and stigma daily.
    Fact: Studies are showing that sugar is addictive.
    Fact: Some people are more prone to addiction than others

As for the studies showing sugar is addictive, the few rat studies I've looked it, uses an intermittent calorically restricted diet for 12 hrs or and then allows ad lib sugar and food, which the rats will then binge on. However based off of other various rat studies, that 12 hrs without food is equivalent in human terms to somewhere around 3-5 days. We have seen similar behavior after the Minnesota starvation study after the period of semi starvation. Does that necessarily mean food or sugar is addictive when you've restricted food for so long?

As for the brain imaging studies, simply stimulating the same areas of the brain does not mean something is addictive.

There's no argument from me that some people are more prone to addiction than others, but simply having people state anecdotal evidence and animal studies is flimsy "proof" that it is an addictive substance in humans
    The processes surrounding addiction aren't fully understood in general. Even with substances that are known to be addictive (heroin, alcohol, etc), it can be difficult to determine where heavy use ends and where addiction begins.

With regards to sugar/food addictions, I would also point out that labeling someone as an "addict" is potentially causing more harm than good by conflating the issue. If someone believes they can never eat a specific food, for example, then it can become much harder for them to focus on changing their eating patterns as a whole. Which, more often than not, is where the real issues lie.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

look it up. there IS such a thing. its also mental in that it affects your serotonin levels and is even linked to depression. i am one of those people. i had to cut it out completely. one tiny piece of chocolate will send me into a week long carb and sugar binge. i even sweat at night in withdrawal when i havent had sugar. coming off a pretty tough binge from last weekend and i have sweat at night, EVERY night, this week.

Also you had 4 pieces of choc yesterday, is the weeklong sugar and carb binge starting today? Do you generally eat 0 carb since carbs are saccharides?

and i find that really rude, although not slandering at all. that is a sensitive subject with me. and no, i dont eat 0 carb.

but i do watch the carbs i put in my body when im not binging. way to be insensitive. everyone is different, and if i want to believe that a sugar addiction is my problem, at least i know how to try and fix it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

and i find that really rude, although not slandering at all. that is a sensitive subject with me. and no, i dont eat 0 carb.

but i do watch the carbs i put in my body when im not binging. way to be insensitive. everyone is different, and if i want to believe that a sugar addiction is my problem, at least i know how to try and fix it.

If we use the Bliss dark choc caramels as the proxy of how much sugar sends you into a relapse for your sugar addiction, then ideally you should keep carbs up 4.16g, since that is the amount of sugar in 1 piece. Just trying to help you out so you don't relapse into a binge, using your post on how much sugar sends you into binge mode.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "...I wonder if there are any women who have been overweight but lost weight on a non low carb diet without 2-3 hrs in the gym."

Calorie restriction alone will cause weight loss but the other bio-chemical problems are not addressed through calorie-restriction alone. If proper nutrition is not a part of the scene, she will regain. That is why 97% (IIRC) of obese people (and I suspect it is even a higher proportion of obese women) regain all of the weight (plus more) that they lost, within a short period of time, after a standard low-fat/calorie-restricted diet has ended. Unless she is obsessively vigilant, she will regain while eating sugar and starch. Many women have figured this out for themselves. I have not regained an ounce in three years. And my experience was yo-yo weight-gain/weight-loss for many years before that. What you are saying is destructive.

ETA: I must leave for my swim session. I will return to the discussion later today.

IMO there are two separate issues here. One is weight loss, which is the same for everyone calories in < calories out. No one is immune to it. The second issue is nutrition, which can different for everyone particularily those with medical conditions, allergies, and food intolerances. A normal healthy person can eat whatever they want as long as calories in < calories out. A person with one or more of the problems listed above have to eat in accordance to what's good for their condition but even if they don't they can still lose weight based on calories in < calories out.

Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone can benifit from eating a nutrious healthy whole unprocessed foods. I believe eating healthy is medicine for people with conditions and it's good as preventative measures for normally healthy people. I do think eating healthy for normally healthy people is a personal preferance. Let's not confuse nutrition with weight loss. You don't have to be "healthy" to lose weight. You don't have to have nutrition to lose weight. (ie starving people in 3rd world countries still lose weight.) You only need your calories in to be less then your calories out. IMO being healthy and eating healthy are even two separate issues. Lot's of healthy people eat whatever. A lot of unhealthy people eat healthy. A large part of health is genetic. My suggestion it to find out what works for you and continue on. When you recieve advice in the forums take it or leave it.... RESULTS will vary. Your experiences and results will be different then the advisers.

Yes--I understand your point of view. However, what is the point of losing, only to regain? The wider issue that the OP was going for, I think, is her issue of "sugar addiction" (and I'm guessing she is also addicted to simple carbs as well--the two seem to go together). Just as an alcoholic is advised to simply abstain from alcohol, so an obese (30% or more above "ideal" lean weight) sugar/simple carb addict must refrain from them to bring her hormones, leptin, insulin, adiponectin, cortisol, human growth hormone, etc. (all of which have a bearing on adiposity) back to a healthier level. At the same time, she must increase her level of exercise, as that will aid in correcting her hormones, in addition to burning calories and enabling her to eat more nourishing food to "heal" her body of its derangement.

I have no problem with low carb. It helps regulate blood sugar and certainly can help combat sugar cravings specifically for sugar addicts. I am a sugar addict as well. I also have PCOS which caused me to be insulin resistant and border line diabetic. Low carb and quiting all processed sugar helped me get a handle on my addiction and my medical issues. However, low carb is not the ONLY way to lose weight and keep it off for women. Once a woman has lost most of her excess weight and changes her lifestyle, she learns portion control, he blood sugar regulates, and her hormones regulate thus allowing her to eat carbs in moderation with going crazy. It can and does happen. If a women tries to restrict herself for ever on something as broad as carbs.... she will NEVER IMO keep the weight off. It'd be like dieting for the rest of your life which is not sustainable.

I'm at the three-year mark since I cut out sugar/simple carbs and I have no inclination to leave my current healthy diet. I have not regained an ounce in all that time--in fact, I have slowly lost weight. I do not feel at all deprived--I feel healthier and well-nourished. :smile:

ETA: I think the important part of "abstaining" is to concentrate on the positives (better health and appreciating whole nourishing food) rather than obsessing over the "negative" of not being able to eat doughnuts, cookies, etc. Right now, I am chomping away on a delicious salad of organic grape tomatoes, organic cucumber, organic baby carrots, organic green pepper, scallions, organic avocado, organic raw milk cheddar, and a lovely salad dressing made with organic whole milk yogurt. A crummy old cookie or doughnut could never compare. :smile:

You are one of a kind. Most people can not completely stay away from sugar for the rest of their life. But in all seriousness, congrats I am happy for you and proud of you for achieve and maintaining your goal!

Thanks, but I don't think I am anything special. I think anyone can do it. I would have said it was impossible for me to ever do this five years ago. :flowerforyou:
  • iFeelBrandNew
    Options

If we use the Bliss dark choc caramels as the proxy of how much sugar sends you into a relapse for your sugar addiction, then ideally you should keep carbs up 4.16g, since that is the amount of sugar in 1 piece. Just trying to help you out so you don't relapse into a binge, using your post on how much sugar sends you into binge mode.

did you see where i said that i was just using that as a placeholder for 'samples' i tasted at sams club? i didnt actually eat chocolate...
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    phase out with splenda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPLENDA SPLENDA SPLENDA
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    iLcMU5e.jpg

Addicted to Sugar = Lack of Will-Power and dedication.

LMAO^

So I was a fat, lazy pig with no will power almost all of my adult life, trying to succeed by eating a grain based, low fat diet and performing hours and hours of cardio per week.... with no improvement, always hungry, always struggling, always depressed, and destroying my health... so I just lacked "will power" and "dedication". But when I quit eating sugar and grain I am suddenly, and effortlessly blessed with willpower and dedication galore (not- I just lose weight automatically). And awesome health. Very interesting. You and Acg67 are just such brilliant fellows. So threatened by people who couldn't succeed with just willpower, moderation, blah blah. Always there to ridicule those of us who found a way to get healthy when NOTHING else worked. If conventional diet advice is working, why is there an obesity epidemic; oh yeah cuz those people just have no "willpower" and "dedication".
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I have made a commitment to myself to lose weight and eat right, and I have made a lot of drastic changes, but I can't stop my sugar cravings. I love anything "gummy", gummy bears, gummy dolphins, fuzzy peaches... my addiction too sweets has gotten so bad that for the past year, I've taken to adding insane amounts of sugar to juice, enough sugar that I have to eat it out the glass with a spoon :cry:

1 - willpower. just say no.
    2 - don't buy it or keep it in the house
    3 - learn moderation (one treat a day, sensible portion)
    4 - seek counseling for your binge issue

Pretty silly there^. Do you even know what a "binge issue" is? If you are referring to Binge Eating Disorder then all of your instructions are VOID. (FYI: in my case: binge eating disorder was completely physical caused by malnutrition, so no amount of talking to psychilatrists or their meds ever helped). Perhaps if you want to give advice regarding "binge issues" you should actually have some experience to speak from, or at least be aware of what "bingeing" is.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Replace natural sugars with artificial sugars; more absolutely terrific advice. :sad:
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    REDI4CHANGE60 Posts: 170
    Options

Hey I love my Splenda also! I need to have my coffee very sweet and I know I save many calories every day, not to mention the carbs, by using Splenda! No sugar ... not good for my insulin levels to shoot up then crash over a cup of coffee.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against shirtless men I do have a problem with people ignoring facts not being willing to learn any new ones and belittling other peoples problems
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with all simple carbs - rice, pasta, sugar, etc. I now try to limit my carbs to whole grains and stay away from stuff with sugar - sweets, sweet drinks, etc. even 100% juice. While not perfect, I've cut way back. It was not easy, but I did it. You can look at my diary if you want, it's public. I can't really say I even have cravings now after 6 weeks. Having to log everything I eat has been such a great tool and eye opener for me. I know that in order to keep within my calorie budget I can't eat that stuff, and seeing the carb and sugar numbers go to red motivates me to keep them low. Good luck, I hope you can do it. Friend me if you want to! :happy:
  • AKMalecha
    AKMalecha Posts: 1
    Options
    For me, honesty is key. This has meant admitting I don't "eat just one." So cold turkey was/is my only chance of success. I also dropped artificul sugar as it triggers my cravings. Anytime you are removing something it is best to put something else in it's place. So I suggest you make a plan: What will you do instead of eating sugar? and then ask "How will I get myself to follow through on the substitution?" Another thing that helps me is perspective. I say "I don't eat X" not "I can't.." or "I shouldn't..." because I CAN eat it and if I say I can't then I'll rebel like a two year old and gobble up everything in sight. A lot of people say will-power and I'm happy for them if that works but it's not an answer for all of us.