Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

You have no idea what my bodyfat percentage is. I don't want your 6' size 10 friend's body. Can you accept that and move on? Great.

I didn't say you did want it, and sadly you are missing the point. A size 10 doesn't mean someone is overweight or "large."

And trust me, you don't have 17% body fat--easy to see that by your boobs and your face.

Let's not get started on faces. It won't end well for you.

I'm not saying nor did I ever say she was large, I am saying as clothes classification goes a size 10 is a large. As opposed to a medium or a small. This is a fact. This is not some spurious allegorical conversation about your 'friend' although I'm delighted you have one because you do come across as quite unfriendly. So good for you.

No, that's not a fact. Many manufacturers classify size 10 as a medium.

http://www.eileenfisher.com/EileenFisherCompany/PopUpGeneralContentPages/OurFit.jsp
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/info/infoPop.jsp?categoryId=1958741&backTo=1958741&infoType=infosport

JC Penney and Macy's do as well.

I refuse to bat back and forth with a woman twice my age on a Friday night about something I really don't care about. I have better things to do even if you don't. Good luck.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I refuse to bat back and forth with a woman twice my age on a Friday night about something I really don't care about. I have better things to do even if you don't. Good luck.

The only thing you refuse to do is admit you were wrong, even with the evidence handed to you.

By the way, you'll be my age someday.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    No.
  • thermofax
    thermofax Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Be comfortable and happy with who you are. If you are happy being a size 10, who cares what others think. I, personally, think different things are attractive about different women. The important thing is that you have worked hard to get there and have had a huge accomplishment. So, CONGRATUALTIONS!!! Be proud of what you have done!
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I read the first few pages and got irrirated because some of you are speaking about a USA size 10 and some of you are talking about a UK size 10...

Very annoying lol!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Lol, bumping to read more after wine.
  • zombiegirl531
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing progress so far !!! Going from size 18 to a 10 is quite an accomplishment !! Second of all, these days, the media is OBSESSED with every woman being a size 2 or smaller- and to be quite honest, half of those women look like they have been starved- Seeing actual bones hanging out is not attractive in my opinion. And also, remember that everyone has a different body frame- you may look great in a size 10 and someone else may look awful. It really depends on your frame and height. And the actual clothing size should not be the most important factor in your weight loss- It depends how YOU feel about yourself and how you view yourself. Finally I MUST say- :happy: NO -- A SIZE 10 IS NOT FAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work- you go girl !!!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The fact that there's so much debate pretty much clarifies that its not downright "fat." A US 10 isn't clearly NOT overweight, like a 0 or 2, and its not clearly DEFINITELY overweight like an 18 or 20, therefore it's going to depend on the individuals shape, structure, body fat percentage, confidence, personality, and every other thing to determine whether or not they look or feel "fat" in a ten.

Generally speaking, a ten is on the cusp of medium to large, but as we all know sizing varies a ton and is virtually meaningless. I personally feel a bit chunky in a ten even though that's a healthy BMI for me.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I read some of these comments and think... these people have problems. And I love when fat people say that a size 10 is fat... when they probably have never been that size in adulthood. SMH

For me, size 10 is fat. I have been up to a size 14-16 and am currently between a size 5-8 depending on the brand and I still have PLENTY of fat on me.
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    GUYS CAN YOU PLEASE CLARIFY WEATHER YOU MEAN A UK10 OR A US10!!

You are all assuming people are talking about the size 10 from your country.

Just to clarufy

UK 10 - US 6

US 10 - UK 14

Please specify which you mean.
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It is definitely NOT fat! The reason does have something to do with a**hole manufacturers such as Abercrombie publicly declaring their stores will only provide certain sizes, such as sizes in the double zeros. so they want to market to girls who want to think of themselves as "less than nothing", which is gross.

watch this ellen clip addressing the missing size 10 clothing problem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgXbHJ-_6io
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    GUYS CAN YOU PLEASE CLARIFY WEATHER YOU MEAN A UK10 OR A US10!!

You are all assuming people are talking about the size 10 from your country.

Just to clarufy

UK 10 - US 6

US 10 - UK 14

Please specify which you mean.

I think most people are talking about a US size 10. I am a US size 8 or 10 depending on brand.
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    Alot of people were talking about uk10 aswel. I think that's why there is so much debate. A uk10 is quite small. A uk14 (us 10) is the average size in the uk but is probably still "overweight"
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Alot of people were talking about uk10 aswel. I think that's why there is so much debate. A uk10 is quite small. A uk14 (us 10) is the average size in the uk but is probably still "overweight"

Being overweight is relative to height. You can't say a size is overweight per se. You all should be talking body composition here, not size. Oh and US sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you look at size charts from high fashion brands, their size 10 is much smaller than a lets say GAP or JCREW size 10. Once again, it is a size that has nothing to do with body composition.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Lol, bumping to read more after wine.

Funny, I'm drinking wine and engaging now.:laugh:
  • carolmcgov
    Options
    Im talking about UK sizes as I have no experience with American sizes.
    Also I did say "probably" overweight. Anyone I know who is a uk 14 would be slightly overweight.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It's all relative.

At 5' 3" 130 pounds I wear a size 10. But I have wide hips, and generally wear my pants low. I am far from fat.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i'm U.S. size 8 pants and 8/10 top and i'm overweight, even when I borederd on obese I was still wearing size 8 pants. Most of my weight seems to be on my stomach and chest :)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I read some of these comments and think... these people have problems. And I love when fat people say that a size 10 is fat... when they probably have never been that size in adulthood. SMH

I'm not fat. I've never been fat, I'm an adult in my adulthood. I guess my opinion isn't as valid as yours?! BS. Size 10 US is LARGE. That's just the truth.

Of course, a woman who is 6 feet tall would be considered "large" evn if her BMI was underweight, because compared to the average woman, she is... Larger. "Large" is not necessarily a synonym for "fat".
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Uh. Who cares?

Between height and body frame that size could be perfectly normal or healthy or thin or overweight and fat.

If you are happy and healthy then I really don't see what it matters if you are a 0 or 18 or whatever.