Do you like CATCALLS??

Options

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I like a polite compliment. Please keep anything vulgar to yourself. And I HATE guys who honk as they drive by.

Right. "I honked, yelled something vulgar out the window at a runner and ended up getting laid" said no one ever.

Bob oh boy... You are definitely not from Alabama.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Hate them. I moved to a somewhat sketchy neighborhood last year, and I get honked at (or yelled or whistled or whatever) almost daily going to/from the bus stop. First of all, the extreme release of compressed air is usually right in my f***ing ear, SO NO, I'M NOT HAPPY!!! YOU'VE JUST MADE ME TEMPORARILY DEAF IN ONE EAR!!!!! That's a pretty fast way to piss me off!

Secondly, as I said, the neighborhood is somewhat sketchy, so it makes me feel less safe when it happens - esp. the couple times that the vehicle would actually slow down as I passed. One time a guy was pretty much idling in the street as I passed.....at 5:30am.....in the dark.......with few other cars around......CREEPER!! ><

Yes, I have XX chromosomes, boobs, and all the rest of the package. No, that does not entitle you to be disrespectful! It's not flattering, it's creepy.

I know what you mean. I sometimes have to walk down the road where the prostitutes work to get to one of the art theatres. I try not to make eye contact with all the looking guys. Sometimes they even stop their car and wait for me to walk by (probably they do that to all the women/girls) on that road. I just keep walking right on by. Other guys on the road know that I'm just walking by and they laugh about the whole situation.

We also sometimes rent dance studio space that involves walking down a sketchy alleyway in the evening and I have to ring the doorbell, and wait for someone to let me in. Not gonna lie. I get creeped out sometimes, especially when there is a guy peeing.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I yell "HEY!.....I'm not just a piece of meat! I have a really great personality too!"

Then I slap myself high five, and almost topple over because my head gets really heavy when its that big.
  • thermofax
    thermofax Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am glad someone posted this.

As a man... In today's age of political correctness, some of don't feel like it's a positive thing to do that. But, after reading this, it seems as though some women still find it as a compliment. I'm not, by nature, a real forward guy anyway and I am always leary that my compliments might be seen as a line. I love to give sincere compliments and think people in general should do it more.

So, don't be surprised if you ladies receive some. I do believe in giving them.

Thanks for a good topic.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I take it as a compliment because that's what it is.

This is not an area where one need read between the lines.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Curious. Does it matter to women what the guy looks like if it is offensive or not?

Which would be less offensive?

This guys saying "Looking good!" ..or
    mullet2.jpg

This guy saying "Looking good!"
    tumblr_m9ixabVJdt1r1jhxzo1_500.jpg

Answer honestly.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    /
  • saviarre
    saviarre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know. The only times I've ever been catcalled, it was teenage boys doing it as a joke and usually followed up with something along the lines of "GO EAT A BURRITO!" I even got spit on once as someone drove by.

As such, if anyone was ever serious, I would probably still think it was meant to be insulting.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not happy with the idea that men feel they can appraise women who are complete strangers I'm human enough to admit that at my age if someone pays me a compliment I'm not offended and sometimes pleased. No one wants to feel invisible. I usually just smile and walk on. Of course, the comments I get now generally are not lewd and harassing, but fairly polite. More often than not they come from older men who probably don't have much going on in their lives and I feel sort of sorry for them.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Always a compliment. I don't care what was said, nor what the person saying it looked like. Make me feel like a piece of meat and I'm yours! (hypothetically speaking...)
  • karibrit
    karibrit Posts: 29
    Options
    Love them. Wish they would throw money at me too--that would be a win/win.

Less clothes and a pole always helps :laugh:

Wednesday is ladies amateur night at Big Jim's Booberama.
    May have to test out this theory. Note to self: watch Elizabeth Berkley in Showgirls for pole tips.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I am glad someone posted this.

As a man... In today's age of political correctness, some of don't feel like it's a positive thing to do that. But, after reading this, it seems as though some women still find it as a compliment. I'm not, by nature, a real forward guy anyway and I am always leary that my compliments might be seen as a line. I love to give sincere compliments and think people in general should do it more.

So, don't be surprised if you ladies receive some. I do believe in giving them.

Thanks for a good topic.

You have to be careful, because it still can easily come off as an assessment of a woman's sexual attractiveness. It's especially weird because it's coming from a stranger and it's almost always women who are the object of the attention. Women are out on the street living their own lives and going about their own business, they're not presenting themselves for the judgment of any guy who happens to think they're cute. I find that I have to be careful about even looking at men in the street because if you look for more than a second they think you're interested in them.

I have two or three times in my life given a compliment to a strange man (I think they had amazing hair), but they were much younger and I was sure they wouldn't misconstrue the comment. And such great hair had to be celebrated. :smile:
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Always a compliment. I don't care what was said, nor what the person saying it looked like. Make me feel like a piece of meat and I'm yours! (hypothetically speaking...)

Sometimes it's an attempt to put women in their place: I won't ever know you, but I'm going to pass judgment on you, even if I'm a slobby construction worker with a beer gut.

If young men had the experience of walking down the street and having women and men assess their physical appearance and call out their judgments they wouldn't regard this so casually. Fortunately, the problem of street harassment is getting more attention these days.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of attention from men flirting and trying to pick me up. I am flattered. But, I feel bad because they usually end up feeling rejected. But, it's because I'm married and I can't lead men on. I'm friendly as much as I can. I smile and stuff. I'm polite. But, I don't flirt back. And when they ask me out, I find a way to say no and tell them that I'm married. If it's just a little flirting at the coffee shop check out, that's usually fine.

And I always appreciate it when men or women give me compliments while I am out and about. It brightens up my day. When they walk up to me and talk to me. When they shout at me, I don't know how to respond (I'm shy). A sweet comment like the OP mentioned would cause me to just smile.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    Curious. Does it matter to women what the guy looks like if it is offensive or not?

Which would be less offensive?

This guys saying "Looking good!" ..or
    mullet2.jpg

This guy saying "Looking good!"
    tumblr_m9ixabVJdt1r1jhxzo1_500.jpg

Answer honestly.

If all they said was 'lookin' good' it wouldn't bother me if it came from Quasimodo. However, anything vulgar, insulting, vaguely threatening, from either one, would be taken the exact same way: an entitled a$$h0le just shouted at me.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a compliment.

To me, catcalls are flirty in an obnoxious way. Or, downright lewd. (One would think they'd be embarrassed, but nope.)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    There are different classes of comments. Some are from people who are truly feeling good and also want you to feel good. But others are intended to make you feel worse about yourself. Some people can't tell the two types of comments apart, but most can, I think.

For example, if you're jogging past a fellow runner on a bright sunny day and he says, "awesome form" or "great shirt" or "nice arms", that is a sincere compliment.

But if you are an absolute hot mess in the city on a certain dark, drab night, and a guy nearly trips you on the stairs in a public place, or puts his hands to his chest, or says, "Booka-booka", "boobies!" or "F****** Sl*t" Then he is unfortunately mal-intentioned.

Of course, these are just the two extreme cases, and there is a lot of gray in the middle.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    No, I hate them. They make me want to hide and wear a garbage bag.
    Ditto
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a guy just lift a brow and smile. You know the look. Cat calls are trashy and ignorant.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    As classy women... we're supposed to be offended at catcalls.

I must not be that classy, because whenever a guy catcalls me it makes me feel AWESOME! :happy: