Losing weight for health or vanity?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Both... I was tired of feeling out of shape, winded, unable to keep up with my friends when we'd go on different adventures, developed an eating disorder... all things that I wanted to change so that I could have a healthy life. But I won't deny the fact that being smaller/leaner was a big motivation too, I wanted to enjoy shopping for clothes, not dread being in a swimsuit, be able to walk by a mirror and get a HUGE grin on my face because I know I look good.

I would say I've nearly hit the healthy goal, the rest of this will mostly be for aesthetic reasons and to keep improving my overall fitness.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I would have to say both. I'd be lying if I said my current appearance didn't bother me. I'm physically uncomfortable and a bit embarrassed, so yes, vanity is a part of it. But mostly, as I get older (currently 42), I'm concerned for my health. Diabetes, heart disease, respiratory issues, asthma and stroke are common in my family. I've seen how it affected the lives of my parents, aunts/uncles and grandparents. Many of them have died, including my father. My mother lives in a nursing home, confined to a wheel chair (no use of her right limbs) and has difficulty with verbal communication. Much of this could have been prevented had any of them taken better care of themselves. I don't want any of this to happen to me so I'm making changes and thankfully making progress.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Mostly health but I'd sure love to look better. I have health problems I'd love to see go away or lessen.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Was reading somewhere that people who choose to lose for vanity are less likely to keep the weight off long term than those who choose to lose for health.

For those who are under 35 and think they can quit their routine and still have the same body and blood work at 35, you are in for a rude awakening!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Mostly health...actually didn't even start out trying to lose weight. I just had a bunch of bad blood work and a discussion with my doctor last October and knew I needed to change my dietary lifestyle and start getting some fitness in. I lost 15-20 Lbs before I ever joined MfP just changing the way I was eating...a friend introduced me to the site as a way to see what my calorie intake looked like as well as my macro-nutrients. Once I hit onederland for the first time in about a decade it became about both...health and vanity as I could start to see a new me. It's still primarily about health for me though...I'm at maintenance right now and thinking about my health keeps me on track as far as eating the right stuff.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    January of 2012 my weight was at the highest, 187lbs. I was considered obese & I was in straight denial about it. I was an emotional eater & all i thought about was food. The thought of diet & exercise was completely overwhelming... it just turned me off to lose weight. But I was so insecure about my body & didnt love myself. So I decided to make a change.

At first, losing weight was about "looks". I just wanted to look "hot". So I followed a strict diet & worked out constantly. I was miserable!! I was miserable because I was losing weight for the wrong reasons! I would workout and diet for a week & got no results, so I gave up. And I did this for months.

I realized I needed to love myself & do this for my health! Once I realized this, the weight literally began to fall off. I changed my lifestyle. I enjoy eating fruits & veggies. I enjoy cooking clean meals. I found workouts that are fun & im living an active life.

Im happy I made this mistake because now I can set the example & share my knowledge. People are shocked when I tell them I lost weight by eating healthy & exercise. All together I lost 60lbs!

Looking good is just the perk of a healthy lifestyle.

Has anyone else come to this realization? :)

I feel exactly the same. I wish it hadn't taken me 50 years to figure it out!
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It started off as vanity. I looked down in the car about a month ago and noticed that I had a new stretch mark on my muffin top. Not cool. Then I joined the Bar Method and now I'm on a quest to get STRONG.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do this for vanity but I can't since I don't really care what people think when it comes to my looks, lol

I wish I cared enough for health but food taste too good. But seriously I know my quality of life gets better the more weight I lose. I enjoy being able to get around easier, take the steps, park further away and it not be a big deal.

It's just a beast to maintain, I have yet to find a sustainable method, still working on it.
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    50/50 :smile:

When I started it was 90 percent vanity but I love how much healthier and happier I feel now :heart:
  • IronD
    IronD Posts: 10
    Options
    Both
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    YES! I realized that I can STILL eat what I want/ LIKE, but just in moderation! I realizsed I CANT eat out of boerdom, or based on my emotions, or just because its there.

Its a balancing act, but when you figure it out , you really begin to LIVE. I also found workouts that i like, and I prefer to go hiking or walking or jogging with a friend out doors..i get my girl time in and get fit too!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I first started or decided to loose because I hurt all the time. I wanna look good and it's great not hurting all time!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    for both but mostly health i was upwards of 247lbs (111.9Kgs) when i started to change things

I have had mild chest pains and other things possibly indicating Diabities and Heart Issues for along time, none of them were those diseases but i was one Hamburger away from a heart attack at any point. Not to mention nothing fit and i had to keep buying new clothes every 6 months.

I reached my 40th birthday and i got really depressed and angry with myself for letting it get to that point. was diagnosed with Stage 2 Hypertension (critical blood pressure levels)

anyway long story short, since 22nd February i have lost over 14Kg's/31lbs and my tummy is no longer a giant muffin and my blood pressure is back to normal levels and i've dropped 12% body fat from a whopping 42% to 30%

I love the gym when my knees can keep up and it was easy for me to just cut out the junk food entirely and so many other bad habits i had. :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Vanity, all the way.

Yep. This. At least we're honest... lol
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Both
  • scentednights2002
    Options
    Honestly? I do it to look better. Sorry. I know it's vain but that's it.
  • colapopmusic
    Options
    Both but mostly vanity..... I am a woman...of course I care about what I look like.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I will be honest, and you will doubt it.

It genuinely was for health. Actually, it wasn't for anything to begin with. The first 30lbs were lost by an inability to eat properly due to mental relapse, so I was eating a deficit (albeit not significantly). I started walking with my Mum's dogs to help her out, doing chores around the house and just generally enjoying being more active. To put it in context - I loathed all exercise and either forced myself to do it via guilt tripping or excusing not to do it.

About end of March I decided that the food I was eating was pretty good but could do better - I upped my exercise, joined a gym and sought out to learn more about changing my lifestyle - it had been a very gradual process (probably 6 months) of learning stuff and taking it on board, but I never forced myself or restricted myself.

I never said "I'm on a diet". I never made any reference that I was doing anything other than when people said I looked smaller and commented on the change in lifestyle. Barely anyone beyond here knows how much I've lost or what I do at the gym. I don't keep a blog. I don't deny myself anything.

It all coincided with the mental relapse, but when I noticed I was losing weight I thought my awakening in terms of overhauling my life should carry on, which I have. I will admit that the vanity side of things is obviously a very encouraging factor, but I'm never going to the the gorgeous girl sunbathing on the beach or strutting in short skirts - it's not me, so it really is for health.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I will be honest, and you will doubt it.

It genuinely was for health. Actually, it wasn't for anything to begin with. The first 30lbs were lost by an inability to eat properly due to mental relapse, so I was eating a deficit (albeit not significantly). I started walking with my Mum's dogs to help her out, doing chores around the house and just generally enjoying being more active. To put it in context - I loathed all exercise and either forced myself to do it via guilt tripping or excusing not to do it.

About end of March I decided that the food I was eating was pretty good but could do better - I upped my exercise, joined a gym and sought out to learn more about changing my lifestyle - it had been a very gradual process (probably 6 months) of learning stuff and taking it on board, but I never forced myself or restricted myself.

I never said "I'm on a diet". I never made any reference that I was doing anything other than when people said I looked smaller and commented on the change in lifestyle. Barely anyone beyond here knows how much I've lost or what I do at the gym. I don't keep a blog. I don't deny myself anything.

It all coincided with the mental relapse, but when I noticed I was losing weight I thought my awakening in terms of overhauling my life should carry on, which I have. I will admit that the vanity side of things is obviously a very encouraging factor, but I'm never going to the the gorgeous girl sunbathing on the beach or strutting in short skirts - it's not me, so it really is for health.

Thats a good mentality. I do log but just so i can build up a rough guide in my mind of how much the foods rate nutritionally.
    and i wont indulge in junk foods again or my personal love affair i had with soda and ice coffee. They are gone never to return but i am not overly concerned if i go over my calories for a given day aslong as the overall picture is getting better on average which it is and visually my weight loss is obvious and thats what counts, "Being healthier and feeling better about yourself.."