"American" food

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    don't start having a go at Angel delight.

Here's what's in an American aisle in Britain http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294697392&Ne=4294793660
    I've never seen most of that in the shops here, lol. On page 1, the only thing I recognised was the Quaker Oats. So weird.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

Here's what's in an American aisle in Britain http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294697392&Ne=4294793660
    I've never seen most of that in the shops here, lol. On page 1, the only thing I recognised was the Quaker Oats. So weird.

neither have I, only ever online
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the grocery store, and I happen to live in an area of the state where there are a lot of Brits. The food in the British section of the grocery store :sick: . Except for the Indian food selections that are imported from the UK, of course.
    What kind of stuff do you even see in a "British" aisle? All I can think of that is wholly British and not an import from a colony, are proper mustard, marmite, Earl Grey tea and Sausage Rolls.

The British aisle has mostly digestive biscuits, marmite, some canned potted meat looking stuff, some jarred meat looking stuff, 33 kinds of mustard, something pickled, a ton of Indian curry sauces (that are pretty decent), several kinds of horseradish sauce, spotted **** that's on a counter so full of preservatives, another kind of pudding without raisins, and a bunch of crackers.

The point is, if all you know of American food is the crap you see in your grocery store, or the fast food joints that the rest of the world seems to love, then you have no idea what American food even is. Obviously I don't think Brits live off marmite smeared on digestive biscuits with some curry sauce thrown in for good measure, but that's what the impression is based on what's imported.

ETA: Maybe I should have said Spotted Richard. Ugh.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the grocery store, and I happen to live in an area of the state where there are a lot of Brits. The food in the British section of the grocery store :sick: . Except for the Indian food selections that are imported from the UK, of course.
    What kind of stuff do you even see in a "British" aisle? All I can think of that is wholly British and not an import from a colony, are proper mustard, marmite, Earl Grey tea and Sausage Rolls.

Treacle, spotted dïck
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm from Germany and we invented apple pie! But you see brats more often than hotdogs here.

I thought so too but....

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1862315,00.html

Apparently most fruit pies hail from England. Hm.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm an American who previously lived in Europe, currently lives in the Middle East, and will soon live in South East Asia.

I will be back in the US in a few weeks and the American food I can't wait to eat includes:
    Barbecue! Baby back ribs, pulled, pork, and beef brisket
    Beautiful fresh BLUEBERRIES
    Bing cherries
    Sweet Silver Queen corn
    Heirloom tomatoes fresh off the vine
    Maryland crabs
    Northern California oysters
    A great Philly cheese steak
    Ice cold micro-brewed IPA
    and....
    Single vineyard wines from California and Oregon!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Hershey's candy can't be sold here as chocolate as it has too little cocoa in it. It also tastes and smells like sick to us.
    Having traveled to Europe and tasted REAL chocolate, I have to agree. Nothing like Belgium chocolates, Ritter Sport, and other European chocolates. I would blow a whole day's worth of calories on some good quality chocolate. But not a Hershey bar.

All of these chocolates are available in most US grocery stores. Plus Endangered Species, Scharfenburger, Perugina, etc., etc.

Most of the worlds best chocolates now come from San Francisco. American chocolates win all sorts of awards. Anyone ever heard of Vosges? That's from Chicago, and it's among the world's best.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i think it is interesting to see how different cultures can sort of blend, and how something that is the same food can be prepared differently elsewhere.
    i am from american, born and raised in new york. there are a lot of diverse foods here, but i think that i would agree on smores definitely being an american thing! also the cheap regular hotdogs too, we seem to eat them all year round here (well, i don't i'm a vegetarian lol but i know other people do), espeically because they are quick and cheap, and kids usually love them. it's interesting to see the different "hot dogs" in other countries (those prolly taste better too!)
  • debrag12
    Options
    Hershey's candy can't be sold here as chocolate as it has too little cocoa in it. It also tastes and smells like sick to us.
    Having traveled to Europe and tasted REAL chocolate, I have to agree. Nothing like Belgium chocolates, Ritter Sport, and other European chocolates. I would blow a whole day's worth of calories on some good quality chocolate. But not a Hershey bar.

All of these chocolates are available in most US grocery stores. Plus Endangered Species, Scharfenburger, Perugina, etc., etc.

Most of the worlds best chocolates now come from San Francisco. American chocolates win all sorts of awards. Anyone ever heard of Vosges? That's from Chicago, and it's among the world's best.

never heard of Vosges, reminds me of a shampoo
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

i think the hersheys goes along with other foods that are similar, just not as good. like comparing a cheap store brand hot dog to something like a brat or all beef sausage/hot dog. obviously there are different quality ones, and also different ways to make them based on how much it costs the manufacturer. there are a lot of other good chocolates here though (in new york anyway), and hershey or the store brand usually is the cheaper "milk chocolate" to purchase, but there are definitely better ones out there, a lot which are made here in the us
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

I haven't even seen most of that stuff in the US. But I suppose one would have to be looking for it. I recognise a lot of the candy, as I spent lots of time in the candy aisle....:blushing:
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    An international person here now living in the US: one thing I think of as American is midwestern food. Casserole to me is American. Jello salad. Fried cheese balls are big in Wisconsin I heard. Scalloped potatoes, sheperd's pie. Buffalo wings are definitely American because they were invented by the Anchor Bar in Buffalo New York in 1964. Peanut butter is pretty American - when I've lived overseas everyone wanted peanut butter from the US.

To me, some food that is thought of as Southern seems to have roots in African food, which is cool. Blackeyed peas, collard greens, grits, okra, and other things are similar to West African foods - introduced to the US by slaves.

That American food aisle in the British store is hilarious. Lots of pop tarts and candy, jello and peanut butter - makes sense.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

i think the hersheys goes along with other foods that are similar, just not as good. like comparing a cheap store brand hot dog to something like a brat or all beef sausage/hot dog. obviously there are different quality ones, and also different ways to make them based on how much it costs the manufacturer. there are a lot of other good chocolates here though (in new york anyway), and hershey or the store brand usually is the cheaper "milk chocolate" to purchase, but there are definitely better ones out there, a lot which are made here in the us

New York has the BEST hot dogs, and they are easy to find. All those "papaya" places have them, with good mustard, decent kraut, and that hot onion stuff. They are manufactured by sabrett and have a natural casing. A proper dog snaps when you bite into it.

It's pretty close to a "wiener", but has more spices.

The ones from grays papaya are actually superior to the ones you get from Coney Island
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

So, being the US we always hear phrases like "As American as apple pie" and I just saw a Ballpark Frank commercial where dude said "you don't get more American than Ball Park franks!"
    It's an interesting question. I'm American and "American as apple pie" is just an ancient saying that is no longer true, like calling baseball "America's pastime" which it hasn't been for many decades. I can't remember the last time I had apple pie, or a hot dog for that matter.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options

So, considering that, maybe the British view of "American" food may not be all that accurate either. What the average person actually eats in his/her home here in the US is not as disgusting or pathetic as some people seem to believe.
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm an American and I don't eat any of the crap found in fast food places. The smell of those places turns my stomach. Most of my meals are home cooked from scratch based on old family recipes and recipes from all around the world. I like fresh, healthy food with interesting flavors. You don't find that in the pre-packaged garbage aisles in the grocery stores. It certainly takes more effort, but isn't really any more expensive. When I think of American food, I don't think of McDonald's - that's factory food. I think of homecooked things like barbequed chicken and grilled corn on the cob. :flowerforyou:

Oh thank you! I thought I was the only one who avoids McDonalds. I can't stand the stuff. I cook three meals a day, at home. Everyday. And F.Y.I. to all the Brits, not every American likes "hot dogs". If I eat something like that, it's a brat from the Germany "economy".
  • debrag12
    Options
    An international person here now living in the US: one thing I think of as American is midwestern food. Casserole to me is American. Jello salad. Fried cheese balls are big in Wisconsin I heard. Scalloped potatoes, sheperd's pie. Buffalo wings are definitely American because they were invented by the Anchor Bar in Buffalo New York in 1964.

To me, some food that is thought of as Southern seems to have roots in African food, which is cool. Blackeyed peas, collard greens, grits, okra, and other things are similar to West African foods - introduced to the US by slaves.

shepherds/cottage pie comes from Ireland,
  • debrag12
    Options
    Yes I think of fast food but also 'soul' food
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    kraft dinner!!! Now THAT is American...oh and rootbeer :-)
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I first read the OP , especially the part about the advertiser claiming nothing was more American I thought it was quite amusing that what was declared American was a food which literally translated means "from Frankfurt" ie Germany.

Then I though about it a little more and though it was fitting as a reminder that American as a nationality is not a homogeneous entity since the native population is a minority.

Putting aside fast food, my understanding of home cooked American food is that its regional variations are less to do with what grows in the area than with the origin of the people who settled in the area in the first place. So some areas will have a cuisine which resembles that of Eastern Europe, others have a more Mediterranean feel, others have a distinctively Northern Europe style, some have some French or African influences (gumbo anybody?).

My question to the American posters would be, are there any native dishes which are considered "as American as apple pie" since it's not a cuisine I am familiar with at all?

There are some foods that we(my family) consider "tribal", but they never have a name. We are what people call Native American, and we eat a lot with the tribe. But that is us, everywhere else? Who knows?