Ladies ONLY - Do you weigh more on your period?

Options

Replies

• CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I usually have 4 extra pounds sometime during the week prior to my period.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yes, I normally gain weight with my period. Anywhere from 3-8 pounds. One month when I was younger I gained 16 lbs of water weight overnight. UGH.

I find that by eating "super healthy" the week before my period not only is water retention weight gain much less but also cramps and flow are less as well.

As for exercising, I try to push through with my regular workout but if I'm having a particularly tired day (usually the first or 2nd day) I honor my body and take it easy.

Note: if I gained 16lbs of water weight EVERY time I'd go see a doctor, but a couple pounds is normal. That's why midol and other "period" meds have a diuretic
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    SAME THING. I GUESS DO WHAT U CAN ON EXERCISING
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    So how many pounds should you expect to pack on during your period? We asked Christine Gerbstadt, M.D., registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, to weigh in.

Gerbstadt explained that these are the monthly changes typical of a "regular" cycle:

Related: Yoga Moves for Flat Abs

Menstruation: When your period starts to flow, chances are you feel crampy, bloated, fatigued and moody. On the plus side, when you're actively bleeding, your body is sloughing off the uterine lining and preparing for a fresh cycle. As the days go on, hunger and cravings dissipate, you lose the bloat (and any excess pounds). In fact, you're at the lowest weight of the month right after you stop bleeding. Enjoy it while you can!

Follicular Phase: Whether you're trying to get pregnant or not, the follicular phase is all about fertilization. Your body is working hard to naturally select the perfect egg (at least for this month), and estrogen levels are on the rise. Unfortunately, estrogen and weight gain often go hand in hand. What's more, as the uterine lining gets thicker to welcome a fertilized embryo, you may tack on a little weight as a result (think one-quarter to one-half pound).

Ovulation: As you near ovulation, you may feel more energized and in tune with your body. But you may notice some bloating and fuller breasts, too -- and that equals more weight gain! Some women experience water gain in response to hormones during this time of their cycle.

See Also: Gwyneth Paltrow's Arm and Abs Workout

Luteal Phase: The beginning of this phase is relatively uneventful. Any ovulation-related bloat usually vanishes within a few days. But then, a few days later, the PMS-madness begins. Not only will you feel hungrier (as your body prepares to support a potential pregnancy), but you're also more likely to crave salty, sugary and fatty snacks -- and that can pack on the pounds. In these few days, eating big could add 1 or 2 pounds of fat.

Keep in mind that every woman (and every cycle) is different. If you're taking birth control pills, hormone prescriptions or fertility drugs, some of these weight changes may be magnified (others may be muted). Just take stock of how your body reacts throughout your cycle so you're in tune with what's "normal" for you. And don't sweat a few extra pounds. Chances are, they'll disappear after a few days (no matter where you are in your cycle).
  • pghlulu
    pghlulu Posts: 42
    Options
    Sometimes up to 4 lbs for me!! Ugh!! It comes on the day of, and doesn't go away until a day or two after.

Try to drink lots of water. And exercise can actually help alleviate some symptoms, so I definitely still do it!
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    period.

Walking

Even experts against a hardcore workout on your period have to agree that a walk gets you moving without injury or danger. So, put on some sneakers and sunblock, and hit the road. Walking by itself isn't a huge calorie burner, but you will feel good about the fact that you exercised. Don't stress the exact calorie count.

Running

If you're feeling up for a jog, go for it. The endorphins you release during an intesnse cardio workout can help you beat the period ickies that you may be feeling. Hydrate well before, after and during your run, if possible; some researchers say you dehydrate more easily on your period. Whether that's true or not, err on the side of safety and keep drinking.

Yoga

Yoga is very customizable; many poses have options to match your skill level. Inversions aren't recommended during your period, although this has no definitive medical basis. Still, having the option to relax in the goddess position if you're not up for a headstand is nice.

aerobics

Sometimes, when you're on your period, you just want to go a little crazy. Aerobic exercise is the perfect way to let loose. Plus, aerobics classes are typically held in a low-pressure environment where the focus is on fun.

dancing

Shaking it up on the dance floor isn't exercise in the traditional sense, but it will rev your heart rate and burn some calories. This is a great option because it doesn't feel like exercise -- and when you're on your period, you might need a little motivation to get gussied up and feel great about who you are. Stepping out into an evening of dancing and fun will certainly give you that extra oomph and make you feel fabulous.

Planking

When it's that time of the month, all you want to do is stay home and watch Lifetime movies. Make the most of your TV time by holding a plank position during the commercials:
    1.Get down on the floor.
    2.Put your arms and elbows under your chest.
    3.Raise your body using just your forearms and toes, and hold.

This is an intense all-over workout. Start by holding your plank during every other commercial and work up to holding through an entire commercial break.

Working out from home

Pop in an exercise DVD or pull up an on OnDemand workout. You don't need to dress in fancy workout gear, and quitting early won't be embarrassing if you're just doing it in your living room. Only you will know that you sweated to the oldies in your flannel nightie for exactly 14 minutes before sinking back into your couch to watch the Real Housewives reunion. (Nothing makes you feel less hormonal than watching legit crazy people, right?)

Don't use your period as an excuse to forget your fitness routine -- but do listen to your body if you need a break from it. Give some of the above workouts a try.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's normal. I retain water during ovulation, too. Not a lot, maybe 2-5lbs.

I think you should at least attempt to exercise. If you feel awful and weak during your workout, you can always bail. More often than not, though, I find that the problem is mental and just getting started is the hardest part. (That having been said, I have bailed on two runs during my period where I felt like I was going to faint or at least double over if I didn't stop.)
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes you retain fluid which weights more. Yes you feel weaker but you should still do as much as you can. I also find that my pain threshold is lower. Exercise helps with cramps too...
  • babydoll789
    Options
    I usually gain 2-3 lb when on my period along with getting a bloated stomach and chocolate cravings! (Oh the joys of being a girl...) ♥
  • Daly86
    Daly86 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanx yuh.everyone for your comments it really helped a lot! I was really beginning to think I was gaining weight foe no reason!!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yes I do - one or two pounds.And I did workout every day of my period- in fact, it kind of made my period disappear (so light I couldn't tell I had it) when I worked out. The cramps during the workout persisted for a short while but I had none during the rest period of my period itself.
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I usually put on 7lbs before my period and then lose it within the first two days. I often take magnesium to help with the fluid retention, and make sure I eat low sodium.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    "Ladies ONLY - Do you weigh more on your period?"

Apparently if there are any men who gain weight when on their period OP doesn't want to hear about it.
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yeah its completely normal. Just make sure you drink lots of water and modify your salt intake so you don't bloat.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself while on my monthly, but with all the bloating (I get that bad) I feel much heavier....I'm cranky, hungry quite a bit.....just plain miserable!
  • llcjmama
    llcjmama Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yep I am 3- 5 pounds heavier on my period!
  • lisavolungis
    lisavolungis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I start to weigh about 2 pounds more a few days before and right after I get it the extra weight disappears...
  • Jacqueline86Chavez
    Jacqueline86Chavez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my boobs go huge, im guessing that counts as extra weight haha too bad they disappear a few days later
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No. I lose 3 - 5 lbs when I get my rag. Before I was dieting and exercising, it would always come back but now it doesn't. It's a nice little once a month bonus for me. :)
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yup about 2-3 lbs. I don't weigh myself during that week. Although realistically I know it's my period weight, I don't want to see the scale going the wrong direction.