Why do people consider weight loss surgery cheating?

Options

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Its only cheating when... as many others have said, people act like the ton of weight they've lost in a matter of months is from their hardwork, diet and exercise. Never acknowledging any procedure was done. Then make the rest of us.. who- by the way- are trying to lose the same amount of weight... look and feel as if we're doing something wrong or don't have the right method/motivation/or discipline to lose the weight.

As you can probably tell, I've had a personal experience with a hs friend who did this, and it bothers me to no end.

In no way did she ever outright credit the surgery (just to a couple people) but yet she constantly bragged about how her hard work at the gym and eating right paid off and made it completely sound like her 100+ loss in less than 6 months was all from her hard work and motivation.

What bothered me even more... I didn't see her really start eating right or exercising like crazy until after the procedure. Why wasn't this attempted in the first place so that you could find out if you could really lose the weight without the procedure? Y

I see so many people here on MFP who take it slow and steady and it would take them twice as long or even more to lose the same amount of weight... but is it fair to them, in the mean time, to not make it known that you did have a weight loss surgery which is contributing to your loss? Absolutely NOT!

Many of these people work so hard and get demotivated when they can't lose weight fast enough to keep up with some of these people who get these procedures then completely credit themselves for all the work.

Ok... I'm done with my rant.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people say or think. Do whtat you think needs to be done.

I personally have never met a successful person who has had weightloss surgery. Everyone i know either had severe complication that threatened their lives, or they let the surgery do all the work and never learned anything meaningful about nutrition and have now regained all their weight. I have also known one younger women who didn't exercise at all and his now extremely depressed because her body looks like a deflated balloon.

For me it would have been an attempt at an easy way out. This is my personal opinion for myself, but i really don't care what other people do to their bodies. I don't see what other peoples opinions or weightloss strategies matter.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I only think it's cheating when people hoop and holler about how great it is that they lost a big chunk of weight without acknowleging the surgery being the main reason. Similar to me taking credit for walking 37 miles into work when I drove a car. I know people I work with that have lost 150 lbs after surgery, but act like they did it on a treadmill.

Own it. If it's part of your process at getting healthy, then who cares what they think.

You work just as HARD, if not HARDER, after weight loss surgery than anyone does to lose the weight. It is only a TOOL. You still have to do the work. The weight doesn't just fall off. It means completely changing your life--immediately. ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT WE DON'T WORK AS HARD HAS NO CLUE.

Then why get the surgery? I am not against it or trying to be mean but if it is just as hard then why not do it the old fashioned way? Honest question.

I run 5ks, I lift weights, I swim, I walk everyday with my kids, I have a 6 day rotation of workout dvd's that I do...I LOVE to be active. My husband is a wrestling coach and I have followed his plan to the letter (btw...he's an advocate for losing weight the healthy way and not by the extreme dangerous ways some wrestlers use) He is completely baffled as to why I have NEVER lost a SINGLE freakin pound. I eat healthy. I have seen a nutritionist for the past 3 years...it was she who initially told me about weight loss surgery. She and the other doctors I have seen said that my body will produce hormones differently once I have the surgery...it will help me lose weight like a "normal" person should.
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    honestly, i don't think it is you, Kim, but rather the people who abuse the system. I work for a healthcare company and I can see why many doctors will tell people to do it. They cost a lot of money. Many people, like my boyfriend's mother, are doing it for the wrong reasons without trying first. I think that is why there are so many negative associations with it.
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find it disappointing that people are not more accepting to those that choose to have WLS, especially on this board. Struggling with obesity is no laughing matter, nor should any attempt to break those chains be looked at with scorn. To the OP that said it was cheating because they were working their azz off. I’m in the gym 5 days a week and the other two days I work out on my own. I run every day even with a serve case of Plantar fasciitis. I eat clean; I measure, track and log my food just like many of you do. I meet with a nutritionist monthly and have taken college level nutrition classes (as part of my chef’s training) to better understand food and how it impacts that body. I can probably tell you more about how and what you eat than most so called experts on this board.

I’ve been heavy my entire life with the exception of just a few times. It didn’t happen overnight, I didn’t wake up last Tuesday as a fat *kitten*. In my 40’s I lost 70lbs and kept it off for a number of years. I was a runner, did 10ks, halfs etc. I was diagnosed with Type II AFTER I lost the weight and was prescribed a boat load of meds by and over zealot Endocrinologist. Over time the weight creeped back as it always seemed to. It didn’t help that I went into the food business and owned my own café. Over time I gained 100lbs. I knew how to lose the weight, I had done so many times, but I also knew that at age 54, time was no longer on my side. I needed help to get back into the game. After a lot of research, last November, I had VSG surgery. To me, it leveled the playing field and gave me the opportunity to get my hands around getting my health in a better place. I fully understood and understand that this was a life style change. I was and am committed to living a healthy life style. The surgery is just another aid to help keep that discipline in check.

The surgery and the education that I have gotten, both pre-and post op, has been the key to my success. I have eliminated white processed foods; I have stopped drinking booze and beer and opt for a fine red wine, when I do drink. I eat a balanced diet, of chicken, fish and a minimal amount of red meat and pork. I eat healthy amounts of vegetables and fruits. I've identified the triggers in my life that cause me to overeat and I address them when they pop up. Yes, absolutely I could have done each and every one of these things without the surgery, but for me, the surgery was the catalyst that got me refocused. Will the weight come back? Who knows, but how can any of us guarantee that we won’t gain the weight that we have lost back? Please, if you can make me that guarantee, let me know. I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.

For those that admonish people that have WLS as cheaters, I say; is having a boob job cheating? Face lift or tummy tuck cheating? What about a V-job? Too lazy to slip on the rubber are you? Do you see where I am coming from? Yes, there are many that have WLS that game the system and there are an equal number that go into the process without the proper education or mindset to make the changes needed to be successful. But again, that is no reason to be resentful, or admonish their efforts. In fact, if you do know these people as many of you say, why not support them and help them learn the things that they need to know?

Weight loss and living a healthy life style, isn’t easy regardless of the path you chose. It shouldn’t be viewed as this secret society that only the ones that do it on their own should be allowed to be a part of. I don’t see WLS being the easy way. In fact in a lot of ways it is harder than doing it the old fashioned way. I am really sorry for the long post, but the negative comments in this thread and negative comments regularly seen on this board about folks that have had WLS, to me, seem hypocritical and ignorant. We should all celebrate the fact that we taking charge of our lives and making the changes necessary to live a longer and healthier life.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why people would think weight loss surgery is cheating. Overcoming obesity isn't a game, it's more like war. I don't care how you kill the *kitten*.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    The same reason they think using a spinning pole is cheating. . . :wink: They are uninformed.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I dont think i've ever heard that. I have never personally, nor would ever get weight loss surgery.

To call it cheating would be bull****, though. Because it takes work to keep off the weight and keep losing.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    because we have to do it with diet and exercise
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I only think it's cheating when people hoop and holler about how great it is that they lost a big chunk of weight without acknowleging the surgery being the main reason. Similar to me taking credit for walking 37 miles into work when I drove a car. I know people I work with that have lost 150 lbs after surgery, but act like they did it on a treadmill.

Own it. If it's part of your process at getting healthy, then who cares what they think.

I agree with this. It's not cheating but it is a weight loss enhancing tool and I think it's a little annoying when people have WLS and go on about how they lost weight without being honest about everything that went into it. If you want WLS go for it and to hell what anyone thinks. If they think you cheated, so what. You'll have cheated your way to a great body and better healthy. They can deal. But when asked how you lost weight don't get all, "I just ate right and did pilates."
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    People enjoy feeling superior to others and nitpick at things that are none of their business in order to feel that superiority.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cheating, I think a LOT of times it's unnecessary and stupid.
  • CHLINK5614
    CHLINK5614 Posts: 2
    Options
    I definitely don't consider it cheating. As you said, it is a tool. As a matter of fact, if you don't follow the strict diet and exercise regime laid out for you, you can eat your way right out of it. I know several people who have had it done and ate their way right out of it. They are bigger now than they ever were. The key is changing your lifestyle.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had the surgery done a couple of years ago, but I was not impressed with her attitude. She decided that the year before the surgery, she should take advantage of eating all the "bad" food she could because it would be "the last time she could have it" She weighed about 300 lbs then and gained 70 lbs before she got the surgery. She lost about 100 pounds the first year and then went back to her old habits. She's somewhere around the 300 lb mark now.

So I think that educating yourself and trying to make a change BEFORE the surgery is crucial, because you need to start changing your habits to keep the weight off. You might lose a lot initially, but it won't stay off it you don't make those changes.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I think it's great that you have already been following a diet and exercising. I have heard of some getting gastric bypass without making any lifestyle changes. They don't lose the weight the right way and a lot of people gain the weight back afterwards.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cheating, I think a LOT of times it's unnecessary and stupid.

Well first off, I reported you, Im offended by your post....and secondly, I agree about it being unneccesary but, I think that people that are bed ridden and stuff definitely could consider it an option.
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think the people who succeed after surgery are not cheating. I know a couple of success stories where the person really have made a lifestyle change and worked on their emotional problems.

But I think sometimes people think it's going to be easy. I have a woman in my close family who had weight loss surgery. She is now gaining it all back. And she blaimes her kids because they didn't want to eat healthy food. Like she doesn't have a say in what kind of food is bought and prepaired.

Sometimes I feel they should use the money the surgery costs to get professional help and try weight loss the regular way. I'm guessing you could get a lot of hours of PT, dietitian and counseling for the price of surgery.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I think it's cheating if the person getting the surgery has not tried to lose weight through calorie counting/some kind of change in diet and/or exercise.
    If that person has tried and not succeeded (and was doing it correctly) then I think for health reasons it's fair to get the surgery.
    But for most people who get it, it's the lazy way out.
  • mankea
    mankea Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't think it' cheating. I have a friend who had lap band, but I can tell she has gained a lot of weight back. I didn't realize that could happen. I chose not to do surgery for the reason that I don't want to go through the difficulty of surgery and then have the same possibility of gaining back just as I would without surgery. I am trying without, but good luck to you.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had the surgery done a couple of years ago, but I was not impressed with her attitude. She decided that the year before the surgery, she should take advantage of eating all the "bad" food she could because it would be "the last time she could have it" She weighed about 300 lbs then and gained 70 lbs before she got the surgery. She lost about 100 pounds the first year and then went back to her old habits. She's somewhere around the 300 lb mark now.

So I think that educating yourself and trying to make a change BEFORE the surgery is crucial, because you need to start changing your habits to keep the weight off. You might lose a lot initially, but it won't stay off it you don't make those changes.

Such a shame.. I had a good friend who had Bypass and had a very similar mentality. Unfortunately, I knew she was going to fail before she even had the surgery..I kept my opinion to myself though and I HOPED she'd prove me wrong!!! She actually went to an all you can eat place the day before surgery... It's a cautionary tale.... and proof that WLS is not the "easy way out" if it was, then all weight loss surgery patients would be successful, but unfortunately many are not... It doesn't work unless you are willing to put in a good amount of effort!

When I began seriously considering WLS for myself, I knew I didn't want to go down the same path as my friend. Before my surgery I actually LOST 70 pounds from my highest weight. I am SOOOOOOO glad that I made those changes prior to my surgery, it just made the whole process run a lot smoother for me.