Why do people consider weight loss surgery cheating?

Options

Replies

• CJpgh
    CJpgh Posts: 52
    Options
    Why not just eat right? Having surgery in most cases in an easy way out. I ate like **** my whole life, instead of working hard, i will have surgery. I know thats not everyone, and i am not saying it is. When i hear about it, that is always the first thing i think about
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post about the diet you go on pre-surgery to lose weight first. I agree with that - if you can lose weight before the surgery...you can lose weight without the surgery. I know there are tons of people with PCOS that lose weight and get their homrones balanced without surgery. I myself have Hashimoto's Thryroiditis and have screwed up hormones from that which makes it hard to lose weight (it screws with more than just your thyroid hormones). Shoot...I gain weight just thinking about crap food! Well..at least I feel like I do. :)

At my heaviest I was 242 lbs...I probably could have gone down the surgery route but honestly it never even came to me as an option. While my condition contributed to very easy weight gain; the burgers, cakes, and other unhealthy greasy foods I was eating certainly were the problem in the end and me refusing to learn proper nutrition to help control my weight that did me in. I am now at 211 lbs and continuing. It's not that WLS is a coward's way out...but I think people use it too oten as a crutch to get around just going the slow steady way you should to correct what was done to your body.

At the end of the day though, it's your choice for your weight loss journey. Don't let anyone talk you out of something you have made up your mind to do if you feel it's the right thing to do.

Edited for dumb spelling errors

You lose weight pre-surgery because you drink 4 shakes/day which isn't exactly conducive or healthy for a permanent diet. It's 2-4 weeks and is designed to shrink your stomach, not provide nutrients to sustain life indefinitely.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Its the cowards way out
    when we are out here working our *kitten* off cuz we gotta lose weight- the real way

Uh, look at the process that they have to go through and revisit that sentiment.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You lose weight pre-surgery because you drink 4 shakes/day which isn't exactly conducive or healthy for a permanent diet. It's 2-4 weeks and is designed to shrink your stomach, not provide nutrients to sustain life indefinitely.

So you starve yourself pre-surgery so you can starve after surgery...? How is this at all good for your body to help correct anything? It sounds like you are slowly emaciating yourself. O_O
  • ash8184
    Options
    I don't care what you do but I'd just like to point out that people saying that they couldn't lose weight so they HAD to have a surgery are full of bologna. The surgery FORCES you to eat less calories. It takes the accountability away so you need to make life changes. Guess what, anybody can eat less calories to lose weight, whether they are forced to do so or not.

If you want to use surgery to help you on your journey, fine. But don't say it's because you had no other choice.

I agree. I have heard and read people say they have tried everything. Unlike the OP they didn't have medical problems working against them. The only thing working against them was their appetite and the couch. I truly believe that for the vast majority of people putting the fork down and moving more will ALWAYS yield results.

Do some research. No matter which form of WLS you choose, you can still put as many calories in your body as you did before - a milkshake, mashed potatoes, anything liquid/soft, etc. The idea is that WLS curbs hunger and helps balance hormones. WLS does not FORCE you to eat less.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some ppl think its the easy way out. WlS is one of the hardest things to do. Your life will nvr be the same again. You no longer enjoy food.... You will nvr again get to feel the satisfaction of talking a gulp of water when you're super thirsty. You can nvr have candy or sweets again....and if you do there are horrible consequences! I don't enjoy going to social gatherings anymore bc they always involve some sort of food that I can't eat and it makes me feel like an outsider. The surgery was painful and there was a long long recovery. I still have to excerisize.... I still have to manage what I eat....even more so bc now it's really important I get lots of protien. I have to do what everyone else is doing to lose weight plus the problems from the WLS! But there was no way I could've done it without it bc I was addicted. I would tell ppl that this is the harder road to take and if at all possible to try to do it the normal way.

Maybe you can see why some of us would think it's not a good idea?

Everyone can do whatever they want with their lives. But this^? I wouldn't recommend that kind of life to anyone.

It may not be a good idea, but it's certainly not cheating, especially if it's really that difficult to maintain afterwards.

So it's difficult to maintain and not a good idea. But it's not cheating.

Ok. I still think people shouldn't do things that are difficult, bad ideas.

Everyone keeps defending the surgery saying "I have to eat right! I have to exercise!!" Yeah. We all do. It's the part about having your stomach cut open and the chopping of the organs and belts and bands being installed in your body that I get caught up on.

Disclaimer yet again: Everyone do whatever they want. I just don't know why anyone would want that.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Its the cowards way out
    when we are out here working our *kitten* off cuz we gotta lose weight- the real way

this ^^

No, not this.

How dare ANYONE on this website judge another person based on something that they know nothing about?

Weight loss surgery is a personal choice. Would it be the best option for me? No. I have no odd conditions that mess with hormones. My mother has hypo-thyroidism, making it difficult for her to lose weight, and has considered the surgery. I judged her like hell for it and wish now that I never, ever gave her a second glance about it.

It is a PERSONAL CHOICE. It is not for others to judge you on. You need to do what is right for you. What many, many people don't understand is that you have to be healthy when you've had the surgery. You HAVE to eat right. You HAVE to exercise to see the results.

My coworker just got the surgery done. She walks around the building on her lunch with her protein shake. She works out EVERy SINGLE MORNING before she comes to work - she does Turbo Fire and loves it. She got me into Turbo Jam. She is a fitness enthusiast but could never succeed in losing weight - she ALWAYS had the healthiest lunches in the office, never went into the breakroom for goodies.

Don't judge others. Focus on yourselves and do what's right for you. I give that advice to you, OP, and to the idiots that posted this nonsense above me. Speak not of what you don't know.

Again, I will say that it's the nutritional equivalent of taking prescription drugs for off label weight loss and/or trying a way to lose weight that removes choice from the equation.

If you saw someone who was anorexic or bullemic, you'd say something to them, most people on this site won't tolerate ED talk.. and the original question was WHY some of us bemoan WLS... We are answering.

Removing part of the stomach or installing a lab band to force you to make good choices IS a cheaters way out, unless you have a medical reason for having it done...

Go to a therapist and learn how to control your impulses and regain control over your life. Taking a knife to the fat is NOT a solution.
  • ash8184
    Options

So you starve yourself pre-surgery so you can starve after surgery...? How is this at all good for your body to help correct anything? It sounds like you are slowly emaciating yourself. O_O

Yes, it is a drastic cut in calories which is the whole point, especially pre-surgery.

Where did the "starve after surgery" come from? Does it make more sense for someone to be on a clean/healthy/filling 1200 cal/day diet post-surgery and active or to be 200lbs overweight?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Why would ANYONE who needs it Care what anyone think about their Choice! And if it were cheating, SO WHAT, if it means SAVING YOUR LIFE! Is a heart by-pass Cheating? CHEATING WHAT or WHO...The Grave and The Reaper!
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some ppl think its the easy way out. WlS is one of the hardest things to do. Your life will nvr be the same again. You no longer enjoy food.... You will nvr again get to feel the satisfaction of talking a gulp of water when you're super thirsty. You can nvr have candy or sweets again....and if you do there are horrible consequences! I don't enjoy going to social gatherings anymore bc they always involve some sort of food that I can't eat and it makes me feel like an outsider. The surgery was painful and there was a long long recovery. I still have to excerisize.... I still have to manage what I eat....even more so bc now it's really important I get lots of protien. I have to do what everyone else is doing to lose weight plus the problems from the WLS! But there was no way I could've done it without it bc I was addicted. I would tell ppl that this is the harder road to take and if at all possible to try to do it the normal way.

Maybe you can see why some of us would think it's not a good idea?

Everyone can do whatever they want with their lives. But this^? I wouldn't recommend that kind of life to anyone.

You hit the nail on the head. This is extreme. I could feel the hurt and pain in the post. You mean to tell me being overweight was worse than this??!
  • kelsey6108
    kelsey6108 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had weightloss surgery and it irritates the hell out of me to hear people call it cheating. I could not lose weight the 'traditional way.' I wish I could, it would have been less painful, it would have been EASIER. But I had the surgery 3 years ago and its a tool. It keeps me conscious and very aware of what I'm eating and it gives me a line. There's what I ate before, and what I eat now. I can eat anything I want. But if I want to wear my sexy jeans, feel light on my feet, feel healthy, I dont cross the line. Its a long road, it is NOT easy, it is NOT cheating. But, you would be better off not telling people going forward, b/c it changes dynamics of relationships. I would tell the people you know will be supportive, but after your surgery, your going to have alot of eyes on you. Specifically judgemental ones who know someone that have given weightloss surgery a bad rap. It is NOT easy, but for me it has been worth it and I would do it again, even with the pain, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It has changed my life for the better. If you ever have any questions, dont be afraid to ask. If you've done the research, the diet, been to the support groups, consulted your physician and nutritionist and started the steps, you should know if this is right for you. Dont let others sway you once you've made up your mind. Obesity is an epidemic, how you choose to maintain your weight is up to you and what other people think, oh well. Keep your chin up!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Just to add a little more information to my original post...

I had 2 VERY complicated pregnancies that forced me to be on bed rest throughout most of them and then being deathly sick after delivery thus forcing me to be inactive for another several months. I have had 4 abdominal surgeries where I have been cut from the bellybutton down totally wrecking my abdominal muscles which will eventually have to be surgically repaired. In the past 4...almost 5 years I have spent a combined total of 20 months confined to bed. It SUCKS!!! Try not gaining weight when you cant move.

I LOVE playing sports, weightlifting, swimming, walking, doing mud runs, taking Zumba 3 times a week...I am VERY active. I generally eat between 1200 and 1800 calories a day...obviously there are times such as holidays or the occasional vacation where you eat crappy and drink alcohol.

The doctor explained to me that the WLS will change the way my body uses sugars and starches. We tried metformin and not only did it not work it made me insanely sick...I had a hard time keeping any food down....(birth control does that to me too)

I am obsessive about things...today I counted out every single peanut I ate for breakfast (30.) I'm at little to no risk of being the person who continues to eat a ton and be lazy, using the surgery as a crutch.

My body needs a jump start and a way to block insulin. That's why it was recommended.
  • RoseTears143
    Options

Yes, it is a drastic cut in calories which is the whole point, especially pre-surgery.

Where did the "starve after surgery" come from? Does it make more sense for someone to be on a clean/healthy/filling 1200 cal/day diet post-surgery and active or to be 200lbs overweight?

You can be on a clean/healthy/filling 1200 cal a day diet and be active without cutting your body open. Save the hospital stay, the anesthesia problem, the recovery from surgery. BOOM! :) You yourself said you had gained all of your weight back anyway the first go-round. I'm sure you could have lost it without the 2 surgeries. It's just my opinion. It doens't change the fact that you are having success after the 2nd surgery and are continuing a healthy lifestyle.
  • ash8184
    Options
    Its the cowards way out

this ^^

No, not this.

How dare ANYONE on this website judge another person based on something that they know nothing about?

Weight loss surgery is a personal choice. Would it be the best option for me? No. I have no odd conditions that mess with hormones. My mother has hypo-thyroidism, making it difficult for her to lose weight, and has considered the surgery. I judged her like hell for it and wish now that I never, ever gave her a second glance about it.

It is a PERSONAL CHOICE. It is not for others to judge you on. You need to do what is right for you. What many, many people don't understand is that you have to be healthy when you've had the surgery. You HAVE to eat right. You HAVE to exercise to see the results.

My coworker just got the surgery done. She walks around the building on her lunch with her protein shake. She works out EVERy SINGLE MORNING before she comes to work - she does Turbo Fire and loves it. She got me into Turbo Jam. She is a fitness enthusiast but could never succeed in losing weight - she ALWAYS had the healthiest lunches in the office, never went into the breakroom for goodies.

Don't judge others. Focus on yourselves and do what's right for you. I give that advice to you, OP, and to the idiots that posted this nonsense above me. Speak not of what you don't know.

Again, I will say that it's the nutritional equivalent of taking prescription drugs for off label weight loss and/or trying a way to lose weight that removes choice from the equation.

If you saw someone who was anorexic or bullemic, you'd say something to them, most people on this site won't tolerate ED talk.. and the original question was WHY some of us bemoan WLS... We are answering.

Removing part of the stomach or installing a lab band to force you to make good choices IS a cheaters way out, unless you have a medical reason for having it done...

Go to a therapist and learn how to control your impulses and regain control over your life. Taking a knife to the fat is NOT a solution.

Educate yourself - it is not a fix for cheating, it is not magic and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with losing control/having no impulse control. It is a tool. WLS doesn't make a person thin/healthy or make a person eat less or make better choices - you still choose what you put in your mouth. It's not easy, either. I would have rather continued my diet & exercise plan and not gone under the knife twice, but I'd probably still be 300+lbs.
  • mcowan72
    mcowan72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You asked a loaded question, and some of the 'holier than thou' crowd decreed from their high throne the fallacy of your choices.

1: Do not worry about the opinions and judgements of others. They damn sure dont care about yours. There is only one real opinion that matters and thats the bella in the mirror. You do whats right for you.

2: Its better to have WLS surgery and gain your health back than to continue to remain unhealthy with a foot in the grave. Its not about which tool you use to get healthy, its about getting healthy. If you need to use this tool, then by god use it.

To the anoited posters out there, go have a smoothie and shut the *&^% up.

Ciao, Madcow
  • ash8184
    Options

You can be on a clean/healthy/filling 1200 cal a day diet and be active without cutting your body open. Save the hospital stay, the anesthesia problem, the recovery from surgery. BOOM! :) You yourself said you had gained all of your weight back anyway the first go-round. I'm sure you could have lost it without the 2 surgeries. It's just my opinion. It doens't change the fact that you are having success after the 2nd surgery and are continuing a healthy lifestyle.

Ok... so I was overweight since age 4 and was always active and was morbidly obese for 20+ years of my life. I'm SURE you're right that I could have lost weight without surgery. Definitely makes sense!
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There appears to be an immediate correlation for WLS and remission in Type 2 Diabetes. The last thing I read about it was that "it needed more research". It appears to happen immediately after WLS, even before the patient has lost weight.

One sad thing about this thread is getting such blatant evidence of how judgmental and hurtful some people can be.

I wish the OP the best of luck.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Ok... so I was overweight since age 4 and was always active and was morbidly obese for 20+ years of my life. I'm SURE you're right that I could have lost weight without surgery. Definitely makes sense!

wow relax. This wasn't your thread to begin with. OP asked people for their opinions. For someone to be getting all bent out of shape over it is silly. :drinker:

Edited to add...please refer to the bolded section of my last reply btw:

I acknowledged the fact you were successful and you still get all bent over my reply. This is why people have attitude on these forums...I can see why many people just ignore the mess in here. smh
  • susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You don't need the "approval" of complete strangers on MFP.
    Do what is best for you and trust yourself to make the best choice based on your health-
    Good Luck
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I worked for a Bariatric Surgeon. There were alot of patients that had the surgery and regained all of it plus back. You have to psychologically change the way you think about food, and having a healthy lifestyle including exercising. If their are health problems which need immediate weigh loss, that is a different story. Otherwise, do it the right way, healthy food choices, exercise, exercise and more exercise.....That is just my opinion....