Getting tired of this *kitten*

Options

Replies

• jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    You know if you watch sports, you will see people at the peek of fitness being criticized. Some people just have to look to others to get their self image. Some of us look to others and we see our flaws and some of us look to others in order to feel superior.

Are you running for any of these people who are mocking you? Pop in some headsets and tune them out. They aren't going to make you go any faster or get a better time. All they can do is discourage you.

I was blessed to have a running partner 100lbs ago, who would show up and run with me on each run. Maybe look to join a runners club or find some local runners who are starting out. Most people who run seem to be super supportive whether you run a 15 mile or a 6 minute mile.

Just don't quit. Run whenever you can, don't let them dictate your schedule. They are the ones being foolish, and that doesn't reflect upon you.
  • slimforparis
    slimforparis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks - you lovely supportive people are the reason I <3 MFP :flowerforyou: I will keep all your kind comments in mind if/when this happens again.

Also I'm so sorry that others have had similar things happen to them - being moo-ed at!!??? That's appalling - it's sexist bullying and it makes me sick that they're getting away with it.

And just for the record I've got an amazing (and very expensive) sports bra - but having rock solid ta-tas doesn't seem to make any difference to the 'hood rats'....:mad: :mad: :explode:
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well done for running!
    I am jealous of anyone who has the guts to do it because I don't have enough confidence to.
    Sorry about the horrible people, I agree with the other posts, maybe try and join a group or get a running partner? It might be easier to deal with if someone is with you.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    They suck, you are awesome.

Every time I see a large girl running I clap and cheer! I also am inspired, so for every Ahole that makes you feel less than, I am willing to bet there are 2 or 3 other people that you help, but do not know it.

You have amazing courage I am willing to bet what you are putting out to the universe is going to come back to you in a positive way.

Hang in there lovely, you are worth it.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have never in my life encountered anything like that! I cannot believe that anyone actually behaves that way :(

I'm very sorry for how cruel people can be.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can change your shape if you want to, they can't change their soul... You win.

Hear us shouting for you and drowning those jerks out.

Don't stop training.

Good luck.

^^^^^ This. I took my seriously overweight relative with me to the gym one day. Some guys a few machines down started laughing at her, and weren't subtle about it. I couldn't believe it-- I mean, she was there trying to get herself in shape-- she deserved a high five, not snickers and head-shaking. Jerks. But really, they looked like the losers there, not her. They were really good-looking guys, but after that I wouldn't have dated them for anything.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That is plain crazy. Are these the same people in the same area everyday? Could you change your route instead of your time? Maybe enlist your hubby to go running with you? Sorry about your situation.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    (((Hugs))) I feel your pain because I used to get "whoosh" from the high school students passing by me on the bus. Completely ignore them because it shows so much about who they are and soooooooo little about anything that has to do with you....that is their need for acceptance and a need to show off.

Do your thing girl and enjoy yourself because unlike their negative non-sense you are becoming a better version of you and that is all that really matters!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
  • jadb22
    jadb22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable that people can be so horrible to one another.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you have had to go through this. So pathetic and disgusting! You keep going lovely lady get yourself some ear buds play some awesome music and do your thing!
    My husband is beside himself after I read him your post. These are ignorant, rude people.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.

When all is said and done and you're at your goal weight is it really going to matter what a few juvenile idiots said to you?

Just calmly give them the finger and keep running.
  • maryjh1976
    maryjh1976 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That is horrible! You are doing a wonderful thing getting into shape and getting ready to run a marathon. I have feet and ankle issues and am not supposed to run but wish I could, I don't want to go to the gym or do exercises in public or in my own house even. I have lots of jiggle from losing so much weight in 2002-2003 that I feel worse about my body than I did when I was 389lbs. It is very hard to get over body image issues and jerks like that do not make it any better for anyone. I wonder what their wives or even their mothers would do if they heard them.

Would your hubby run with you? I bet they would keep their comments quiet if there was someone with you.
  • graham241
    graham241 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yup. BOYS. If there were older "boys" behaving badly then they were not men because real men/adults know what inappropriate behaviour is. DO NOT HIDE from these idiots...get angry and use that energy to propel yourself forward towards your goals. One day, and it won't be long, those infantile males will be wondering who the hot momma is that they see running.

They shall eat your dust!!!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    wtf is wrong with men :explode:

REAL men don't do what the OP is describing. REAL men support and encourage.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yet another reason to get some noise-canceling headphones.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A little pepper spray can go a long way ;) Just kidding! I liked the idea of taking a picture back of them. Also, give them a little middle finger with a big SMILE... they are just miserable in their own life...screw them and GOOD for you for sticking with it and changing your life!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,655 Member
    Options
    One of my friends reduced this by running with a shirt that said "I run for breast cancer research". More thumbs up and smiles than bad comments.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Don't let a bunch of a$$es stop you from doing what you want to do! Put on some music and tune out the fools of the world. You should be proud of what you are doing and I know you will get the last laugh!! Hang in there!

This, totally this. they mean nothing to you don't let the idiots impact you in any way! Congratulations and good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • emibrus1
    emibrus1 Posts: 59
    Options
    A little pepper spray can go a long way ;) Just kidding! I liked the idea of taking a picture back of them. Also, give them a little middle finger with a big SMILE... they are just miserable in their own life...screw them and GOOD for you for sticking with it and changing your life!

Aha that's what I was thinking! You wouldn't happen to be good with a slingshot now would you, OP?

That behavior is disgusting and unnecessary (and I absolutely agree that you shouldn't HAVE to run specific times to avoid them). Ironically if it was happening to me I'd probably just have my feelings hurt and put up with it...but knowing that it happens to someone else makes me want to march up to them with a square punch to the throat -fumes-