I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people use "irregardless."

It's "regardless" - no "ir" needed.

That's redundantly saying something twice. :wink:

^Amen to this.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I get more upset when people make up their own words I.E. conversate instead of converse.
    Usually I would agree with you, but a friend of mine made up a very good word - flustrate - I use it all the time now. :bigsmile:
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but...it rubs me the wrong way when people call soda "pop." You call it by the brand name/'soda' or you call it nothing at all!

That's a regional thing. What you call it depends on where you're from. Down here in Texas everything is a "Coke".
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but...it rubs me the wrong way when people call soda "pop." You call it by the brand name/'soda' or you call it nothing at all!

That's a regional thing. What you call it depends on where you're from. Down here in Texas everything is a "Coke".

NO! Coke is Coke! lol.
    Maybe I hate that equally as much because I live in the birthplace of Coke.

:3
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Wiki says its an American company... so wouldn't WEB-BER be more appropriate. And since the company name is the founder's family name, I'm pretty sure they know how it's supposed to be pronounced. :huh:

I do not yield the right to pronounce one's own name incorrectly. Just because time, cultural influences and tradition have warped the pronunciation of a proper name does not change it's true and accurate pronunciation per the rules of English. I have spoken!

It is a good thing you don't know me.
    My daughter makes up words by combining words of close meaning and I love it and use them!
    My name first name alone violates two rules of spelling in the English language and it is pronounced the way my mother wanted it pronounced, not the way the English professor says it should be.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I don't know if this is a southern thing either but I heard a lot of "warsher".

Do you need to use the warsher to warsh your clothes?

yes it is! i hear it all the time. Im in Nashville.

Must be a Tennessee or Arkansas thing my sister and mother lived there and they say warsh. I'm in Georgia and I say wash...drives me nuts. I have heard it more in those states than mine...or maybe the people I'm around know the difference.
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have fought the pronunciation of the picture file format .gif for more than 20 years. I was vindicated earlier this week by the creator. It is indeed a soft G, not a hard one.

bugs.gif

how does he intend to keep it from being confused with the peanut butter?
    My thoughts exactly! I have always used a hard "g".
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    @bench, what is your 1 rep max for cat bench pressing?

Well, right now, I have only two cats to bench press. I've been cat pressing the 8 lb one and thinking about moving up to my 12 lb cat. First I want to dye him pink, though. Wouldn't want to become bulky.

New Rules of Lifting Cats for Women? NROLCFW?
  • urbanplum
    urbanplum Posts: 188
    Options
    I agree with virtually all of these. :smile:

To add to the list - "I'm standing on line." FALSE. YOU ARE STANDING *IN* LINE. When someone says "standing on line," it makes me think of that episode of South Park where Stan gets sucked into Facebook.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People not from MA that do this:

For Worcester: "Wor-chester" or "Worse-ester" when it's pronounced "Woo-ster".
    Leominster: "Leo-minse-ster" it's "Lemon-ster"

All the "sters" are just not right. I suppose if I weren't from MA I would probably butcher them too.

Yeah, I'm originally from Massachusetts. Same with Peabody. We say pea-buddy (but very quickly). The first time my husband heard me talking about Peabody, he thought there was a city in MA that was called puberty. :laugh:

And a water fountain is a bubbla. And the liquor store is a Packy.

Oh, wow, I live in Milwaukee and people here call water fountains "bubblers" - I thought it was just a Milwaukee thing! Even the rest of WI doesn't call them that. (And yeah, we pronounce our "Rs" here.)

Wow, I didn't know that anyone else called it that!

I also pronounce my R's now. I lost my Boston Accent 17 years ago.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    @bench, what is your 1 rep max for cat bench pressing?

Well, right now, I have only two cats to bench press. I've been cat pressing the 8 lb one and thinking about moving up to my 12 lb cat. First I want to dye him pink, though. Wouldn't want to become bulky.

New Rules of Lifting Cats for Women? NROLCFW?

You may be onto something. Wanna partner with me and write the book? And we can start up a gym and all of the equipment will be cats. Although, cats might suck when it comes to cardio because they're lazy b!tches.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I work in Bangor Maine. That's Bang-gore, not Banger. THERE IS NO FREAKIN' E IN THERE! Sales reps call it Banger (as in Bang-ger) all the time.

I lived near a town in Michigan called Bangor..and people ALL the time pronounced it Bang-ger...drove me nuts!!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Sorry but my grand-daughters name is Weber and is NOT WEE.like PEE.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    In RI we say tawwwkin instead of ....talking

ova theya instead of ....over there
    owa instead of ....our
  • ptammyw
    ptammyw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    "Loosing" weight offends me.

This ^^^^^!!
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's "SANDwich" not "SANGwich"....I always got a kick out of that one! LOL
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That freaking made up word "hangry" and the idiots that use it....I am angry that you assume I'm hungry, other than that your an idiot in my world.:yawn:

*facepalm*

You're*

Oh SNAP! The tables are turned!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Hearing the word "Mastication" ....i always think....*kitten*!!!

I think the same when I hear "master bed" :wink:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    You should sit in the same room as me and you will really be offended. I just ate beans and broccoli.

^^^this!!!!
  • SkeletonWishes
    SkeletonWishes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "Loosing" weight offends me.

exactly! we're not 5 years old we should know the difference between "lose" and "loose."
    whenever i see people do this it gets me so pissed off haha