I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• LisaMarie8713
    LisaMarie8713 Posts: 310
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but...it rubs me the wrong way when people call soda "pop." You call it by the brand name/'soda' or you call it nothing at all!

don't be rippin on sweet brown!! she needed to go down and get herself a cold pop!
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It grates on my nerves when people say 'jealous' when they mean 'envy'. Just a pet peeve of mine, but I never say anything because I don't want to appear petty. And I'm sure I make more than my share of grammatical errors, too.
  • LisaMarie8713
    LisaMarie8713 Posts: 310
    Options
    It's "SANDwich" not "SANGwich"....I always got a kick out of that one! LOL

wrong and wrong... its a sammich... sheesh! :tongue:
  • robin68562
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but...it rubs me the wrong way when people call soda "pop." You call it by the brand name/'soda' or you call it nothing at all!

don't be rippin on sweet brown!! she needed to go down and get herself a cold pop!

That's a regional thing. I live in western New York State and calling pop soda in these parts is fightin' words.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    my colleague keeps calling our other colleague "Philips" .. her name is Phyllis !!!!!
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing people pronounce across with a T on the end, "acrosst".
  • robin68562
    Options
    I don't know if this is a southern thing either but I heard a lot of "warsher".

Do you need to use the warsher to warsh your clothes?

yes it is! i hear it all the time. Im in Nashville.

In Pennsylvania it's 'worsher'. It slays me.

Must be a Tennessee or Arkansas thing my sister and mother lived there and they say warsh. I'm in Georgia and I say wash...drives me nuts. I have heard it more in those states than mine...or maybe the people I'm around know the difference.
  • robin68562
    Options
    my colleague keeps calling our other colleague "Philips" .. her name is Phyllis !!!!!
    [/quote

Phyllis is syphilis spelled sideways. :happy:
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options

In Canada it's always pop. To me it's offensive when someone calls it "soda"!
  • robin68562
    Options

Phyllis is syphilis spelled sideways. :happy:
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    defiantly.....................................its definitely people!!!!

soda/pop is called soft drink
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love this whole thread! The latest word that annoys me is "stabability" (stability). The first time I heard it used in a meeting, I was shouting "STABILITY!!" in my head and I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from actually correcting them in front of everyone >.<

Also, everything that you all have mentioned before - the use of irregardless, misspelling "definitely", lack of ability to use "would", "could" or "should" appropriately, people requesting that you "revert" to their emails ... !

Oh! Does anyone else ever see this in emails?

"The below email refers."
  • MarkyMark_
    MarkyMark_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Kady Perry instead of Katy Perry or Budder instead of Butter. Even worse is Shtay instead of Stay!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How about people that say TIE-ota instead of TOY-ota?
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It makes me angry when people pronounce condom as comdom. Just why?
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    In Canada we say "eh" instead of "A".
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love this thread!

First, I want to slap people who say prolly or prob-ly instead of probably.

Also, when someone is new at school or a job, they are orienting, NOT orientating!

And finally, I am a nurse and it drives me (and ALL other health care providers) insane to hear medications pronounced incorrectly! For instance, OxyContin, NOT Oxy-COTTON. I have a list a mile long, but will spare you. It's your medicine, if you're going to bother to take it, learn how to pronounce the name- it could save your life. Oh, but they're too difficult, you say? That's why the pharmacist attaches a leaflet to the bag, as required by US federal law, which includes a pronunciation guide, so you have no excuse.

I'm off the soapbox!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I love this thread!

First, I want to slap people who say prolly or prob-ly instead of probably.

Also, when someone is new at school or a job, they are orienting, NOT orientating!

And finally, I am a nurse and it drives me (and ALL other health care providers) insane to hear medications pronounced incorrectly! For instance, OxyContin, NOT Oxy-COTTON. I have a list a mile long, but will spare you. It's your medicine, if you're going to bother to take it, learn how to pronounce the name- it could save your life. Oh, but they're too difficult, you say? That's why the pharmacist attaches a leaflet to the bag, as required by US federal law, which includes a pronunciation guide, so you have no excuse.

I'm off the soapbox!

Or when you ask what medication they're taking and they say "I don't know...it starts with a P." Learn the names of the **** you're putting in your mouth, people! :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Also, when people say "Oh I'm OCD about..." 1. you cannot be Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Seriously. Think that out. "Oh I'm so Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder about keeping my house clean." See how stupid that sounds? You are not OCD...you have OCD. Which brings me to number 2. You probably don't actually have OCD. Stop making a mockery of an actual serious condition. :grumble:

I will put my soapbox away...for now.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!