I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Oh, and dat. I hate dat.

:laugh:
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    "Loosing" weight offends me.

Ugh, this totally gets under my skin too.

1. Are you offended, or are you annoyed? If you receive it as a personal affront, you are offended. If it gets under your skin, you are annoyed. Be sure you are using the correct word when you criticize the use of an incorrect word.

2. "Loose" is, in fact, correctly used as a transitive verb, albeit pronounced with a soft "S." From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loose?s=t
    verb (used with object)
    >20. to let loose; free from bonds or restraint.
    >21. to release, as from constraint, obligation, or penalty.
    >22. Chiefly Nautical . to set free from fastening or attachment: to loose a boat from its moorings.
    >23. to unfasten, undo, or untie, as a bond, fetter, or knot.
    >24. to shoot; discharge; let fly: to loose missiles at the invaders.

I find all of these uses relevant to the subject of "loosing" weight. In fact, in this context I find it a much more powerful word than "lose."

I'm just sayin'.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hear hear.....I have this argument ALL the time. I thought I was the only one bothered by the Weber issue ;)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    [...] Be sure you are using the correct word when you criticize the use of an incorrect word.

2. "Loose" is, in fact, be correctly used as a transitive verb, albeit pronounced with a soft "S."

I think you may mean "can." Truly ironic.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Also, when people say "Oh I'm OCD about..." 1. you cannot be Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Seriously. Think that out. "Oh I'm so Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder about keeping my house clean." See how stupid that sounds? You are not OCD...you have OCD. Which brings me to number 2. You probably don't actually have OCD. Stop making a mockery of an actual serious condition. :grumble:

I will put my soapbox away...for now.

YES.
  • bglm17
    bglm17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about "Supposably" instead of supposedly and "axe" instead of ask?
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Also, when people say "Oh I'm OCD about..." 1. you cannot be Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Seriously. Think that out. "Oh I'm so Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder about keeping my house clean." See how stupid that sounds? You are not OCD...you have OCD. Which brings me to number 2. You probably don't actually have OCD. Stop making a mockery of an actual serious condition. :grumble:

I will put my soapbox away...for now.

YES.

Glad I am not the only one! It may be because I have OCD, but it has bothered me for a while now. :laugh:
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    wow..alot of free time
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    GET OVER YOURSELF -- YOU KNOW WHAT WE MEAN.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    wow..alot of free time

34ngxms.jpg
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have fought the pronunciation of the picture file format .gif for more than 20 years. I was vindicated earlier this week by the creator. It is indeed a soft G, not a hard one.

bugs.gif

how does he intend to keep it from being confused with the peanut butter?

However, the argument could be made for the hard G.
    Graphics Interchange Format (GIF; /ˈdʒɪf/ or /ˈɡɪf/) "Graphics" itself has the initial voiced velar stop /g/, so why would it change for the acronym? At the same time, the grapheme <G> usually represents /dʒ/ when preceding <i>.
    See, I am offended by creators of technology who have no knowledge of basic phonology. But then, who the heck runs around saying "gif"? :laugh:
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who doesn't pronounce all the letters in words. For example: Cold becomes coe. He says that is the way his mom taught him to talk; so he knows it is wrong but does it anyway. That is annoying!
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I live in Baaahston, MA - enough said :ohwell:

The wicked pissah mispronunciation capital of the world.
  • tuathanari
    tuathanari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    People who pronounce caramel as "kahr-muhl." I don't care how many people say that's the right way to pronounce it. Just. No.

People using "can I" when they really mean "may I."

ATM machine, PIN number, HIV virus.

tacky.gif
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    It's NOT "on a daily basis."
    It's "daily."

As in I work out daily.
    NOT
    I work out on a daily basis.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

tacky.gif

What's with the little girl at the back doing the head bob? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think you have too much time on your hands, but I preesume ( thats pronounced with the long E hench the two "e"s!!

I preesume your thread was in jest!!

Basil
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ma-tour versus ma-chur (mature)

Exspecially versus especially

And this one drives me absolutely crazy: my mom pronounces the Grape juice maker as "Welsh" not "Welch"
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    I ate some aspergrass last night! If I had eaten asparagus, would my urine still smell bad??:bigsmile: :huh:
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    GET OVER YOURSELF -- YOU KNOW WHAT WE MEAN.

^^^THIS!^^^ Who cares rather a word is pronounced right, or even if it's being used in the right context - if you know what the person is talking about and in 99.999% of the cases, you DO! Even in a written conversation, if the person is using the wrong form of the word: example: your, you're, or ever ur or u r - you still know EXACTLY what they mean!

You are OVER THINKING this! Over thinking = unnecessary worry = STRESS!!