Went and saw a nutritionist... uh what?

Options

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm no dietician or nutritionist...but IMO that's nutty. I would starve on 900cals a day and many days I eat that in one meal on heavy training days. But it's your call if you are gonna eat according to that plan you were given.
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Firstly, do not come to the "experts" on this site. Unless they are a nutritionist or dietician, they do not really know.
    Secondly, your nutritionist is going to know your situation so much better than anyone here.

Finally, if you are filling up on veggies throughout the day you are going to be fine. It may actually end up being more than 900 calories a day when you're finished with the day.

Eating fresh fruits and veggies throughout the day is going to be loads better for you than eating higher calorie foods so that you can satisfy the people online.

There is no such thing as starvation mode, so don't let people scare you with that.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It sounds bad because it's unsustainable. It's clearly a quick-fix thing that would fail long-term, because sometimes items that are not on that list will be served for dinner or whatever. And you'd probably get extremely sick of those limited options.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Why the hell are you asking a forum of unqualified nobodies?

Basically you're wanting us to tell you something different to the person you paid to give expert advice. Sure, OK, sounds like rubbish, eat a load more.

By the way I have no idea what I'm talking about. Happy?

Basically a nutritionist can call themselves a nutritionist without any qualifications whatsover therefore their advice should be taken with a pinch of salt as they will vary from very good to very bad. A dietician is someone who has been medically trained by the way. That's why, in the UK at least, dieticians are the ones who work in hospitals. Nutritionists are the on the fringe new age, alternative therapies, quackery side of things.

So she's asking a forum of unqualified nobodies to validate what an unqualified nobody told her.

THIS, sorry to say you wasted your money seeing a nutritionist. Anyone can call themselves one, even you and I. Go and see a dietician.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

Other's have outlined the issues with the nutritionist well enough, but something I'd like to point out is that this meal plan that you've outlined could easily be 2k calories depending on how you make it. Assuming you make it calorie dense enough (and potentially have a small snack or two during the day) There's enough room there to get a wide range of foods and ideally hit all your micronutrient needs.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Did the nutritionist actually say restrict to 900 calories? Because I could eat that menu quite happily and make it way more than 900. I'm 5'3 and eating an average 1300 a day and losing weight at a nice pace - my diary is open if you need ideas, I eat pretty well.
    Yes!!
    I think what needs to be clarified is: Did the nutritionist restrict you to 900 cals/day, or is that YOUR estimation? Was it just the menu she gave you, with no caloric restriction? Because, if it was just the menu - it has a lot of merit and can easily be made to fit *any* caloric requirement!

For example, I'm 5'8.5" and 102kg right now. I've chosen not to eat grains, breads, pastas or rice because I'm insulin resistant - carbs like that affect me in a very negative way. However, I can *easily* reach my cals for the day (1700-1800) without those carby things like pastsa/bread/rice. I eat whole foods, cooked myself... moderate protein and high fat, especially lots of coconut oil and avocado, and most of my carbs coming from veggies. You're also not counting in any fat in your diet (olive oil, butter, avocado, coconut oil) which is really important, and high in calories. A dinner with unlimited veggies? That can add up, especially if the veggies are starchy. Salad with protein? No problem - I eat grilled chicken with caesar salad (no croutons) almost every day for lunch and it probably has more calories than a 'carb-laden' meal.

So unless the nutritionist has restricted your calories in addition to the menu outline given to you, I don't see anything wrong with the advice. Just my 2cents.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Firstly, do not come to the "experts" on this site. Unless they are a nutritionist or dietician, they do not really know.
    Secondly, your nutritionist is going to know your situation so much better than anyone here.

Finally, if you are filling up on veggies throughout the day you are going to be fine. It may actually end up being more than 900 calories a day when you're finished with the day.

Eating fresh fruits and veggies throughout the day is going to be loads better for you than eating higher calorie foods so that you can satisfy the people online.

There is no such thing as starvation mode, so don't let people scare you with that.

Decide for yourself: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Dietitians-and-nutritionists.htm#tab-4

I'd check the credentials of your nutritionist.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have been to one as well and I was told around the same thing. I am 5'4" and at the time i was around 200 lbs and she said not to consume more than 900 cals per day. Yea, I lost weight but the second I would actually eat casue I felt like I was starving to death I would gain the weight back. Obviously since i am 30 lbs heavier than that now. It is easy to do for a little while but not somethign to stick to.
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My sister is a dietitian and everything she tells me is opposite of that. I would get a second opinion.

^^This.

BIG difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian. Anyone can get a certificate online and call themselves a nutritionist. A dietitian actually has a 4 year degree, has studied human metabolism, and has had (roughly) 1400 hours of supervised practice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    that sounds sort of ridiculous, but i'm not a nutritionist..?

Stick a sign on your door that says you are and then BAM you become one.

Nutritionist is a very loosely guarded term. Dietitians on the other hand need qualifications that take a considerable amount of effort.

^^^^ this
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Interesting that you make a point insisting not to listen to anyone who is not a dietician or nutritionist, then go on to make a statement on diet and nutrition
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating between 1500-1800 calories a day and at least 100 grams of protein every day. Watch your micronutrients. Are you getting enough calcium and Iron? I seriously doubt you're getting enough calcium.

You need to fuel your workouts. You can't strength train on no fuel. You'll lose strength and mass. I don't think meal timing is all that important, but you have to eat something.

A diet under 1000 calories might be sustainable for up to 4 days to get you in a glycogen depleted state, but even if following one of those diets, you have to up your calories to get your nutrients and sustain your energy levels.

I think the term "starvation mode" is way overused on this website when people really should be saying that your energy is going to suck, your workouts will start sucking, and you'll be miserable most of the time. Yes, you can slow or stall weight loss at some point when you're not eating enough, but....
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

Did the nutritionist actually say restrict to 900 calories? Because I could eat that menu quite happily and make it way more than 900. I'm 5'3 and eating an average 1300 a day and losing weight at a nice pace - my diary is open if you need ideas, I eat pretty well.

It appears you have got the bog standard plan that every "nutritionist" associated with a gym chain or personal trainer would give you. I've received to one of those when I got suckered into a "fitness package" at my gym. My friend is currently doing this basic plan and losing as she eats a LOT of clean foods. But neither my nutritionist or my friend's every mentioned a calorie limit. I think 900 is the number you arrived at when you cut the carbs (pasta) out of your dinner. Plan says unlimited veg - you can substitute pasta with avocado, beans (or mushrooms, onions and peppers if beans are a no no) & salsa and you can have 900 in one meal.

My experience is that dietition, nutritionist and personal trainers rarely talk calories as if we all knew it was as simple as calorie in lower than calorie out they'd be out of a job :tongue:

The plan is essentially saying eat clean and snack on fruit and veg instead of crisps you should lose weight on that even if you up your portions to maintain your calories.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a nutritionist for a few months and he told me to eat more warm, nourishing cooked food - more fats, more protein (in particular red meat, which I hardly touched) and to hold back on the refined carbs.

It has really changed my life since I stopped eating processed and "diet" food and started eating real, organic, in season, locally sourced food, cooked from scratch.

There is no need to starve yourself.
    This is sensible

agreed. i've taken the same approach and dropped about 20 pounds in 4 months, without counting calories, andstill enjoying the occasional beer.

eat real food. that you cook yourself. not food from a box

Produce not products :)
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

Seriousely though, 900 is way too low. I've been there. Lost weight quick (8kg in 8 weeks) but I was dizzy, REALLY cranky, have enourmous cravings at the end that led me to eat someone else's entire jar of peanutbutter ot the office. You won't be able to keep it up.

900 calories is not a lifestyle change. It's an insane diet that will leave you saggy. It did for me; lost all lean musclemass. So, I was succesfully 55kg but looked like a mess. I'd ask for a second opinion or just make up your own mind based on common sense!

I can't believe you ate someone else's peanut butter! That is so funny. lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So ...

You were losing weight but went to a nutritionist because, despite your success, you decided to buy into the idea that carbs make you fat.

*sigh*
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this is net of exercise calories?
    If not, something is not adding up.
    If you have a positive relationship with a PT? Perhaps the gym offers nutritional advice? Or just get a second opinion.
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight with 1300 calories why starve yourself with just 900?
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion from a Registered Dietician. I went to a nutritionist a few years ago and was told that to be successful I needed to drop my calories to 800 to 1000 calories a day. At the time I still had weight to lose but only maybe 30 lbs and I was working out 6 to 7 days a week. On top of that I was in the process of reversing the damage I had already done from under eating and this nutritionist was wanting me to give starvation a try. I was not going down that road again.

This got me to researching the type of training and certifications one would need to become a nutrionists. I was surprised that in my state the regulations for who can pratice nutrition is very poor. After that I saw a registered dietician, who told me prettty much opposite of what the nutritionist said.

I am glad I decided to work with a dietician, because according to the nutritionist I should not have been successful at losing weight. We are all human and even professionals make mistakes sometimes and there is nothing stopping you from getting a second opinion.

Oh and for me even though I eat mostly clean, I know my body can't run properly on 900 calories no matter the source of those calories.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    shoot the Nutritionist