I am afraid to even post this...

Options

Replies

• marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Tom, congratulations on making this step towards a healthier you! I wish you all the best in your endeavors!!
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hey! I know there are a million comments here about all sorts of things, but I just quickly wanted to say that while goals are great and really important, it's even more important to be happy with whatever your outcome is, and not be discouraged if you don't hit the goal you were aiming for. We're all here hitting and missing our goals every day. The point is to keep coming back day after day and just keep going. If you make a bad choice at some point in your day, just let it go and move forward. No sense stressing about something that cannot be undone. Just keep going and doing your best, and you WILL get there.

You said that you don't stick to anything for more than a month, so I challenge you to lean on your friends when it's getting to that point, and we'll be here pushing (and pulling) you along until you look back this coming Christmas and see all the progress you've made.

To Tom, and anyone else that needs motivation or just another friend, feel free to add me. We're all in this for the best and the rest of our lives, so why not have another friendly helping hand?

:)
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    FR sent! :)
  • taylowe82
    taylowe82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First off and welcome. I'm glad to hear you're wanting to change your life. Here's some of the tings I've learned:

Forget diets makes changes you can live with the rest of your life

You CAN EAT what you want just in moderation

It didn't take you a few weeks to gain weight and it won't take just a few weeks to take it off. This is a journey, enjoy it! Losing weight can be fun and a way to get some really great friends.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're here! If you'd like a friend I'd like to be one for you. I see this site and all it's great people making such a difference for so many. With these tools and the encouragement you'll find here I believe they can help you change your lifestyle. Welcome Tom.
  • Morningstar93
    Morningstar93 Posts: 161
    Options
    HI :) Feel free to add me if you want another little helper. we all need encouragement and support.. and maybe sometimes a kick in the butt. Forget the crazy diets and pressure to do it like everyone else. Make a lifestyle change, let your friends help find a way that works for you because we are all different. I promise you that if you stick to it, don't give in and really embrace life and the will to change 100%, then you can do this. but you have to give it 100%.

Best of luck, you wont regret it :flowerforyou:
  • laynerdm
    laynerdm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I admire and applaud your courage to take this step. You can do this. Please feel free to add me and I will be happy to be part of your support system.
  • micwrites
    micwrites Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Reaching out is the hardest step to admit there is a problem. Good for you for being brave. There is hope! Think about the next hour, and not the end result. What can you do now to change your life, and extend it. Take a short walk? Drink some water? You deserve whatever you choose to do. There is a whole community here all over the world who are in the same boat, ready to cheer you on.
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You are making the first step which is difficult! Believe me!!! My mom and sister would go on diets and ask if I wanted to join or if I wanted to exercise with them and I would yell and scream and say "No!" Years ago, I wasn't ready to lose weight and taking that first step and admitting you need to change is a hard one! Awesome job! I sent you a friend request! :)

Emily
  • trose1966
    trose1966 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello Tom: I understand losing the weight is so much more difficult than gaining. I have been every weight possible through my lifetime from very thin to where i am now..Life sure can throw us some curves. But i think you have made a positive step where you are driven to succeed now and losing weight can take a long time ( lose it slowly and steady to keep it off).. But you are right, support is one of the keys, and discipline is another...What keeps me going is the drive to succeed and knowing that if i just keep plugging away i will win the battle. I learned also that this board is a great place to be if you want advice, or support.. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish..and Good Luck we are rooting for you...Stay focused and stay strong you will achieve your goal!!!:happy:
  • HealthyStartsHere
    HealthyStartsHere Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid to post this? You are doing a great step by reaching out and seeking help. It's okay to admit you need support. We all have to start from somewhere, right? Forget fad diets and know you can lose weight! Believe in yourself, you can do it!
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Tom. You can do this and can't wait to read your post at Christmas when you reach your goal!!!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Tom,
    I'll send you a friend request as soon as I finish this message.
    You can do this.
    In the short term, concentrate on moving more. Make exercise a part of your daily routine.
    Make walking your friend. Start small and gradually increase. If you do this in conjunction with calorie counting - you'll begin to see some real changes in your health, fitness and how you're feeling.
    Then at some stage I recommend that you also look at your diet. Personally, I think looking at weight loss in isolation from other lifestyle factors may not be the best strategy for many people.
    All the very best!
    kind regards,

Ben
  • llpttp38
    llpttp38 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just know that everyday is a day to make a change, don't give up and you will loose the weight.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi Tom!
    Congrats on deciding on the new life style. It is awesome :)
    FR sent!!
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sending a request :) Good luck, you can do this!
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Welcome! No need to be afraid. I'm very new as well and I will say this is generally a super friendly, supportive, helpful group of people!

The 'trick' for me (someone else who has failed overa nd over and over and OVER at lifestyle changes in the past) is the basic simplicity of tracking how much of everything I'm eating and not getting seconds/cutting portion sizes. Add that to walking (not trying to do exercise that my body isn't ready for; just walking is enough to jump-start you!) and I've started to actually see a difference.

Vegetables are a life-saver. You can eat so many without drowning in calories if you cook them right and it made the transition into smaller portion sizes easier, since for a while I just let myself eat my usual portions of vegetables and only then started trimming things down.

You can do it! MFP is here to help ;)
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    HI Tom,
    It's a brave thing, stepping out and admitting you need help. That's the first step. As at least one has already said, diets don't work. It's baby steps. Change one thing at a time. Start with what you can. Don't feel you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods, just realize that it may be wiser not to indulge too often. For me, one of the first things I did was start walking. It was five, maybe ten minutes at the most and I went from there. And I all but gave up drinking my sweet tea. I drink water more than anything else now, although admittedly still not enough most days. Log everything you eat. Some days it may seem frustrating, especially when you see the calories adding up, but it can show patterns and sometimes it can make you rethink a snack. Eat when you are hungry. Don't feel you have to starve yourself. If you stumble, and we all have and do, don't give up. I sent you a friend request. Surround yourself with supportive friends and they will encourage you, and you will find yourself cheering them on as well. One step at a time, you can do this. Good luck!:smile:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    There are people that do this all the time. I have two good friends on here that did it. (Both whom I met at races)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jhardenbergh

and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/bigmech

You can do this if you are willing to change your life. If not, you stay on the roller coaster of dieting until you die.

Good luck.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk

You can start by walking at home with the Lesley Sansome video, and then expand.