Went and saw a nutritionist... uh what?

Options

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Why the hell are you asking a forum of unqualified nobodies?

Basically you're wanting us to tell you something different to the person you paid to give expert advice. Sure, OK, sounds like rubbish, eat a load more.

By the way I have no idea what I'm talking about. Happy?

This.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Basically you're wanting us to tell you something different to the person you paid to give expert advice. Sure, OK, sounds like rubbish, eat a load more.

woah. angry person alert!!

here have a flower :flowerforyou:

LOL
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    As for there not being any "experts" on this site, let's be honest with each other: many people on this site have done more research on nutrition and training and weight loss this year than most doctors do in their entire careers. Having letters after your name or a diploma or certificate on the wall doesn't make you an expert. Experience makes you an expert. I've lost over 100 lbs. I eat copious amounts of delicious food. I am really strong, especially for a small woman. I consider myself an expert on the subject of healthy weight loss. I don't really care whether or not anyone else thinks so. I am responsible for me, not you.

Actually no. You can only be an expert on yourself and your own weight loss. Your opinions, for that is all they can be unless you've done the study and passed the medical exams, may be 100% correct or 100% incorrect when applied to other people. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge, perhaps expert knowledge, that is not what I am questioning, but it counts for very little without the qualifications.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Losing weight does not make you an expert in the field of nutrition just like knowing how to operate a car does not make you an expert mechanic. Getting a degree in nutrition, then working under a Registered Dietitian for 6 months-2 years (CADE accredited program), THEN passing the RD exam and actually working as an RD makes you an expert in nutrition.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    As for there not being any "experts" on this site, let's be honest with each other: many people on this site have done more research on nutrition and training and weight loss this year than most doctors do in their entire careers. Having letters after your name or a diploma or certificate on the wall doesn't make you an expert. Experience makes you an expert. I've lost over 100 lbs. I eat copious amounts of delicious food. I am really strong, especially for a small woman. I consider myself an expert on the subject of healthy weight loss. I don't really care whether or not anyone else thinks so. I am responsible for me, not you.

Actually no. You can only be an expert on yourself and your own weight loss. Your opinions, for that is all they can be unless you've done the study and passed the medical exams, may be 100% correct or 100% incorrect when applied to other people. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge, perhaps expert knowledge, that is not what I am questioning, but it counts for very little without the qualifications.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Losing weight does not make you an expert in the field of nutrition just like knowing how to operate a car does not make you an expert mechanic. Getting a degree in nutrition, then working under a Registered Dietitian for 6 months-2 years (CADE accredited program), THEN passing the RD exam and actually working as an RD makes you an expert in nutrition.

At the same time, being an expert at anything is not in and of itself a valid support for an argument or line of reasoning, and most certainly not enough to establish a fact. All it does is, maybe, give some higher degree of probability that the person speaking may be right about the argument they are making.

We live in a society where transmission of information is so cheap it is almost without cost. "Experts", in such a world, are less and less relevant because their source materials are easier to obtain. Further, the field of expertise in question is far from monolithic. There are conflicting opinions among the experts on the very question being discussed.

Thinking for yourself. Is that no longer in style?
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Anyone can hang out a shingle and call themselves a "nutritionist". A dietician is college educated in nutrician, and is LICENSED to counsel people (even those with life-threatening illnesses) on their diet. Your insurance will probably cover the visit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I went and saw a nutritionist today, my exercise is pretty good and wanted help on the diet side of things.

I know I eat way too much pasta but did not expect the news she gave me!

Essentially my diet would be: (similarish to what I eat now except for the dinners)

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

I know I have a fair amount of weight to lose but I'm not 300kg, I mean really... Does this sound right?

**Edit: I have another appointment in three weeks, was just going to try it out and see how things go but at that rate I'll have lost maybe 12kg in three weeks
    Nutritionist aren't licensed. A person could take a weekend online course and become one.

Go see a registered Dietician.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I lose weight on about 1000 - 1200 a day and I feel fine. This diet was given to me by my doctor and dietician. They calculated my BMR to be about 800 so it is okay for me to be on a low calorie diet. I feel very healthy since I started it. I have more energy, less aches and pains, no bloating, regular bathroom visits, etc...

I am losing about 1 - 2 lbs a week which is a good amount.

I work out everyday (just walking the dogs, 3 hours a day, 3.0 MPH). I lift weights (3lbs) while I watch TV every night. On Monday, Wed, Fri + Sat, I go for half an hour of vigorous swimming (laps).

Remember your TDEE cannot be calculated by the internet because it changes everyday. So the amount of calories you should eat will also change daily.

My advice is to see your doctor and show him/her the plan you have set out for you. Confirm with your doctor that it is safe for you.
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Did the original poster ever confirm that the nutritionist specifically said don't eat more than 900 calories? Did I miss it? I could easily eat 1200-1500 calories a day sticking to the general guidelines listed in the first post.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The pasta-restriction doesn't sound odd to me, though muesli is an odd addition to breakfast, if she's trying to reduce your carbs, but the calorie restriction seems pretty unfeasible (by the way, is this her number or yours? I can't quite figure it out from your post) for someone of your stature. I have similar stats (5'8", physically strong, similar workout pattern, started at 111kg) and certainly wouldn't be functioning very well on that level of sustenance. Net 1300-ish is about my lower limit to remain functional. Most days I gross around 1800, and my net goal is 1530.

I would be seeking a second opinion from a practitioner of medical nutrition, whose qualifications are registered and assessed by a national body of clinicians - what the US seems to call a dietitian, and goes by a variety of names elsewhere. If you do decide to follow her advice, you can certainly up your calories to more normal levels by choosing your proteins for maximum value. I'm currently avoiding all grains and refined starches, but can easily gross 1800-odd by choosing red meats, cheese, full-fat dairy and nuts for snacks. High fat levels, sure (this is a temporary thing for me), but I am eating an appropriate number of calories, with low carbs and high proteins, which is what I am currently aiming for.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nope, it sounds OH SO WRONG.

I'm 5ft 9" and when I was first losing was on 1200 and that was hard enough, but under 1000??? She cray cray.

You're better off with what you were doing in the first place.

Pasta is not the enemy.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she is telling you to starve yourself. Don't go back to her.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Did she say how long you were supposed to be eating like this? A week? Two? A month?

It makes a difference.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Wow - I would say don't do it!
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if someone (in this case, the nutritionist) would overstate the caloric restrictions, knowing full well that many folks eat more than they are "told" to. That is to say, if she recommends she shoot for 900...she'll end up at `1200+?
    Not condoning this, it was just sneaking up in my mind.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience and ended up binging on pasta, which has never happened to me before!

I just think that sometimes doctors are not trained properly and, in nutritional science, there is still a lot of broscience going on even for doctors.

I disregard every comment she gave me on carbs now.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    that sounds sort of ridiculous, but i'm not a nutritionist..?

I'm with you. Breakfast is basically candy with sugar.

Then not much else for the rest. Seems a bit ridiculous. I hope this person did some testing and such that was omitted from the OP, otherwise it sounds a little like the OP needs a second opinion.

There's too much missing information though.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Max 900 calories? Did the nutritionist talk to you about portion sizes?

Greek yogurt, 1 3/4 cup serving = ~100-120 cals
    Muesli at 1/2 cup serving = ~150 cals
    Fruit (depending on the type) = 50-100 cals

Breakfast total = 300-400 cals

Giant heap of salad greens = ~10 cals
    Drizzle of olive oil/vinegar/lemon homemade dressing = ~100 cals
    Protein - egg? 70 cals. Chicken breast? 150-200 cals.
    Assorted chopped veggies (carrots, tomatoes, etc) = ~25 cals

Lunch total = 365-450 cals

Some protein...grilled salmon maybe? with some beans?
    Salmon steak = 200 cals
    1/2 cup cooked beans = ~150 cals
    All the vegetables you can possibly eat = ~150 cals

Dinner = ~450 cals

Totals so far: 1350 on the high end, 1115 on the low end.
    Throw in a small apple with pb as a snack and hit another 250 cals on the lower days for 1360.

Did she say anything about snacking? Unlimited veggies is pretty hard to get hungry on if you can have them whenever, even though they're low calorie. Can you have broccoli florets and carrots as a snack? Maybe with a smidge of hummus?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

This. Presumably, this nutritionist was looking at the full picture of your diet and exercise, while we are only seeing the limited bits you are giving us to get the response you want. Even your description sounds off. You work out 3-6 times per week? Well, is it 3 or 6? One is TWICE the other. Also, what is 30 minutes of cardio? Are you sprinting or walking on an inclined treadmill? What do you do for work? How old are you? All these variables are meaningful, and I'm guessing your nutritionist asked about them.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This is why I wish states would better disseminate the difference between someone who calls themselves a "nutritionist" and those with actual training. She could of told you to eat duck fat every Wednesday and follow it up with a pure butter shake.

What were the credentials of this person? Was this the gym "nutritionist", ugh? :explode:

You know I could call myself a healer and start performing surgeries, but that's illegal. Why are these quacks allowed to dispense nutritional advice without having the feds come in and shut them down?
  • aims_86
    aims_86 Posts: 74
    Options
    Max 900 calories? Did the nutritionist talk to you about portion sizes?

Greek yogurt, 1 3/4 cup serving = ~100-120 cals
    Muesli at 1/2 cup serving = ~150 cals
    Fruit (depending on the type) = 50-100 cals

Breakfast total = 300-400 cals

Giant heap of salad greens = ~10 cals
    Drizzle of olive oil/vinegar/lemon homemade dressing = ~100 cals
    Protein - egg? 70 cals. Chicken breast? 150-200 cals.
    Assorted chopped veggies (carrots, tomatoes, etc) = ~25 cals

Lunch total = 365-450 cals

Some protein...grilled salmon maybe? with some beans?
    Salmon steak = 200 cals
    1/2 cup cooked beans = ~150 cals
    All the vegetables you can possibly eat = ~150 cals

Dinner = ~450 cals

Totals so far: 1350 on the high end, 1115 on the low end.
    Throw in a small apple with pb as a snack and hit another 250 cals on the lower days for 1360.

Did she say anything about snacking? Unlimited veggies is pretty hard to get hungry on if you can have them whenever, even though they're low calorie. Can you have broccoli florets and carrots as a snack? Maybe with a smidge of hummus?

So glad someone did this. You've saved me a job of outlining each portion and the calories.

This is roughly my diet - but I eat porridge in the morning and carbs with my dinner in the evening, so my net cals per day end up as 1600.

Why don't you try to eat this style of diet for a week or so, see if it suits you. It sounds a bit like a Low GI diet.