People need to help each other-not argue.

Options
I'm just saying now as I have noticed over the past few weeks just reading the posts that some people just want to shoot you down and make you feel so bad about having different views to diet and exercise!!

ONE solution doesn't work for EVERY person.

This site is for people to help each other, share ideas, don't tell me I'm wrong. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying now as I have noticed over the past few weeks just reading the posts that some people just want to shoot you down and make you feel so bad about having different views to diet and exercise!!

This site is for people to help each other, share ideas, don't tell me I'm wrong. Thanks :smile:

Sometimes people will take a response as "rude"....when in reality the response was clarification for wrong information....not different views.....but wrong information.....
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options

Is this your first time on the internet?

Forums provide you with the means to parade your "knowledge" around and remain completely anonymous while doing so; the draw is too tantalizing to pass up for many people (myself included). Getting into debates is part of the fun.

That said, this site (in particular) is rife with misconceptions about diet and exercise (including generous portions of fad-diet proselytizing and broscience) that will leave newbies feeling confused and overwhelmed. Many of them will probably just give up on diet and exercise altogether...and that's certainly NOT what we want.
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options
    That's fine, but who knows who has the wrong information and who doesn't? its just silly bickering, I joined this site so I would be able to have support from other people and help others, now i think i might just leave the topics altogether.
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options

Is this your first time on the internet?

Forums provide you with the means to parade your "knowledge" around and remain completely anonymous while doing so; the draw is too tantalizing to pass up for many people (myself included).

haha no, unfortunately not my first time on the internet. maybe im too nice.
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options
    That said, this site (in particular) is rife with misconceptions about diet and exercise (including generous portions of fad-diet proselytizing and broscience) that will leave newbies feeling confused and overwhelmed. Many of them will probably just give up on diet and exercise altogether...and that's certainly NOT what we want.
    [/quote]

it just makes me laugh there is so much false advertising of things around but the moment we try and help its like noooooo youre soooooo wrong. gah. i forgot how annoying the internet is.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I get your point and generally agree (there are a lot of "my way or the highway" people here), but conversely, some people ARE wrong and need to be told so.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    OP:
    Your "help" was telling someone they could have gained 5lbs of muscle in a couple of days....and when someone corrected you on providing wrong information....you called them rude.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    That's fine, but who knows who has the wrong information and who doesn't? its just silly bickering, I joined this site so I would be able to have support from other people and help others, now i think i might just leave the topics altogether.

Actually, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and there's a lot of correct information out there...it's pretty easy to discern fact from fiction IMHO, but then again, I like to do a lot of research. Most of the "arguing" you see is people who are knowledgeable trying to dispel miss-information.

When it comes down to it, this is just very simple math and science. When you understand that, it becomes very easy to recognize BS and bro-science for what it is.
  • rhogr000
    Options
    Your "help" was telling someone they could have gained 5lbs of muscle in a couple of days....and when someone corrected you on providing wrong information....you called them rude.

I think you have me confused with someone else.
  • rhogr000
    Options

Actually, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and there's a lot of correct information out there...it's pretty easy to discern fact from fiction IMHO, but then again, I like to do a lot of research. Most of the "arguing" you see is people who are knowledgeable trying to dispel miss-information.

When it comes down to it, this is just very simple math and science. When you understand that, it becomes very easy to recognize BS and bro-science for what it is.

This
  • nomeejerome
    Options

My response was for the OP
  • rhogr000
    Options

My response was for the OP

Gotcha :-)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Understand that a lot of people are here only to be negative trolls. You will quickly learn who they are and then simply ignore them.

Every message board has them. This one more than others.
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options
    I just felt the way you replied was rude; i may have skip-read the post because obviously i was wrong.

meh, im wrong either way tbh. all i know is what i am doing is working so im trying not to let the other **** get to me.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Understand that a lot of people are here only to be negative trolls. You will quickly learn who they are and then simply ignore them.

Although do keep in mind that people also like to throw the term 'troll' around rather loosely (especially on this site). If someone has a differing opinion or perhaps states something contradictory to you they're often called a troll . . . . . when in reality they're just disagreeing with you.

OP it's an internet forum. We're not all going to get along. If you can't handle it I think you might want to reconsider making regular posts on the main boards.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people take differing opinions as arguing/rude/mean spirited. I think the better advice is to take everything with a grain of salt and toughen up. The mods take care of the really bad posts when they rile enough feathers. I'd rather read a lively discussion with dissenting opinions than a whole bunch of people saying "Yeah, that's great! Good job! Good luck! Hope it works for you!"

One can bring new ideas and challenge possibly bad information. The other is just a bunch of hugging and useless garbage.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people take differing opinions as arguing/rude/mean spirited. I think the better advice is to take everything with a grain of salt and toughen up. The mods take care of the really bad posts when they rile enough feathers. I'd rather read a lively discussion with dissenting opinions than a whole bunch of people saying "Yeah, that's great! Good job! Good luck! Hope it works for you!"

One can bring new ideas and challenge possibly bad information. The other is just a bunch of hugging and useless garbage.

No we can't... this forum is about supporting people on their journeys to healthier lifestyles, and disagreeing is just plain mean.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options

Problem solved. Log your food and stay off the boards if you don't like reading what others have to say.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Although do keep in mind that people also like to throw the term 'troll' around rather loosely (especially on this site). If someone has a differing opinion or perhaps states something contradictory to you they're often called a troll . . . . . when in reality they're just disagreeing with you.

OP it's an internet forum. We're not all going to get along. If you can't handle it I think you might want to reconsider making regular posts on the main boards.

I agree. As you post more you start to learn the difference.

And I tend to be pretty direct with folks if I think what they are doing is dead wrong, but you can tell someone that and not be a jerk about it if you choose.
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options
    I think because many of us have been doing this for so long we know what works, what doesn't, what has been said to us by nutritionists etc etc etc....everything conflicts. That's why I find that when someone is having trouble with losing weight or whatever its hard to put your opinion across.