Fat people in your family hating on your efforts to lose

Options
2»

Replies

• amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    they dont see your dream girl. i hope it goes well. here is a song that pumps me up. http://youtu.be/mV6LsR2jCjs

Thanks for the song, it was very inspirational! What you know about Marvin :)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The only people that can get away with making jokes about me consistently is family, it's a little bit like having buddies who give you good-natured ribbing. I would not tolerate total strangers making fun of me, because I don't believe they do it in good faith.

Having said that, if you can't handle the jokes, then you have the right to tell them to stop. If they really do care about you, they would acknowledge that it's a sensitive subject that they shouldn't make fun of.

Better yet, keep dieting and working out until you have the body of Halle Berry. Let's see them make fat jokes about it.

I agree, but my grandma thinks that she can do as she pleases, as she has no one to "check her" on her ways being the matriarch and all. They know that I do not like the jokes and I have already told them this, but they keep on doing it. Then when I say something about them after being fed up with their behaviors, they are ready to fight.

Then perhaps it's time for a different method. There's a saying "don't get mad, get even". The next time they crack a joke on you that you don't like, crack a similar joke on them. Now that THEY are the fat ones instead of you, the fat jokes are more appropriate for them than for you. Let's see how they like the taste of their own medicine.

If you're a quick wit, this could actually be fun.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You seem like an amazing person. It sounds like they wanted to point you out to make themselves feel better. Don't let them get to you. My family are all small,except for me. My Dad is currently the biggest he has ever been,and he's still like 60 pounds lighter than me. I struggle with my weight due to health issues. Like you, I was thin when I was younger. I used to be very active and fit. However,when I hit my 20's, the weight just kept piling on. My family was ecstatic that I was getting smaller,but would still make comments like, "If you could just lose 50 more pounds you would be so pretty." or "well your waist is small,but your thighs and hips are still big." All of their compliments came with an attached insult. Eventually, I felt lost,hopeless,and ugly...so I gave up. I gained all of the weight I had lost back,and then some. I recently decided I know exactly where I want my body to be,and if I am happy with it, then no other opinions matter. Don't stop believing in yourself. You are doing so great,and you're such an inspiring person. Tell them to stop being jealous and petty because you have enough issue to deal with. :) Keep going lady.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    my mother will still tell me I look like im 8 months pregnant... thanks ma...

ignore what your other family members tell you. take that hurt and disappointment you feel by them making fun of you and channel/use that energy in your workout routines. let them eat crow when youre all hot and trim and theyre not!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1. people tease and joke for the reaction, and if they can't get a reaction, they will either move on to a new person or a new joke. keep your head up and keep your replies above board. occasionally my dad can fall into the "mean teasing" trap with me, and nothing takes the wind out of his sails faster than not getting a reaction from me.
    2. don't get upset with people for not acknowledging your weight loss. they don't have to, and you shouldn't expect them to. and some people have been taught that it isn't polite to ask people about their weight, or maybe she thinks you already know how good you look.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    You seem like an amazing person. It sounds like they wanted to point you out to make themselves feel better. Don't let them get to you. My family are all small,except for me. My Dad is currently the biggest he has ever been,and he's still like 60 pounds lighter than me. I struggle with my weight due to health issues. Like you, I was thin when I was younger. I used to be very active and fit. However,when I hit my 20's, the weight just kept piling on. My family was ecstatic that I was getting smaller,but would still make comments like, "If you could just lose 50 more pounds you would be so pretty." or "well your waist is small,but your thighs and hips are still big." All of their compliments came with an attached insult. Eventually, I felt lost,hopeless,and ugly...so I gave up. I gained all of the weight I had lost back,and then some. I recently decided I know exactly where I want my body to be,and if I am happy with it, then no other opinions matter. Don't stop believing in yourself. You are doing so great,and you're such an inspiring person. Tell them to stop being jealous and petty because you have enough issue to deal with. :) Keep going lady.

Thank you!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    When people put others down, they are doing it to make themselves look or feel better and forget about their own shortfalls and insecurities. Don't let these people get you down, girl. You are doing great, feeling great and looking great - better than you have in a long time. These folks are straight up jealous.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1. people tease and joke for the reaction, and if they can't get a reaction, they will either move on to a new person or a new joke. keep your head up and keep your replies above board. occasionally my dad can fall into the "mean teasing" trap with me, and nothing takes the wind out of his sails faster than not getting a reaction from me.
    2. don't get upset with people for not acknowledging your weight loss. they don't have to, and you shouldn't expect them to. and some people have been taught that it isn't polite to ask people about their weight, or maybe she thinks you already know how good you look.

I agree with number 2. One of my best friends used to be very big in high school when all of us were small. However, in college, she started losing weight and she looked absolutely fabulous!! I however didn't really feel comfortable commenting on her weight loss because I felt like I wanted her to know that I didn't care how much she weighed, I would always be her friend. Of course then I had kids before her and gained a bunch of weight and she was smaller than I was, lol!! I then realized it was important to congratulate her on her accomplishment. My point is, it may not be because your neighbor is trying to be mean or is jealous, she just may be ignorant to how to react to your weight loss. Just don't take it personal.

As far as the family stuff goes, that must be so hard and you should not have to put up with that!! Sounds like you may have to put distance between you and your family. I know that can be very hard, but it does sound like they are not very healthy, physically or mentally, and you have to separate yourself from that so you can get your mind and body right. Good luck to you girl!!
  • amaysngrace
    Options

I agree with number 2. One of my best friends used to be very big in high school when all of us were small. However, in college, she started losing weight and she looked absolutely fabulous!! I however didn't really feel comfortable commenting on her weight loss because I felt like I wanted her to know that I didn't care how much she weighed, I would always be her friend. Of course then I had kids before her and gained a bunch of weight and she was smaller than I was, lol!! I then realized it was important to congratulate her on her accomplishment. My point is, it may not be because your neighbor is trying to be mean or is jealous, she just may be ignorant to how to react to your weight loss. Just don't take it personal.

As far as the family stuff goes, that must be so hard and you should not have to put up with that!! Sounds like you may have to put distance between you and your family. I know that can be very hard, but it does sound like they are not very healthy, physically or mentally, and you have to separate yourself from that so you can get your mind and body right. Good luck to you girl!!

Well, I just thought she might have at least congratulated me considering that we were sort of close to each other. She is even in one of my pictures that is in my profile. So, I would think that after hearing me complain about how big I was all these years, that she would at least comment because I know she would have wanted me to say something to her if she were in my same shoes. But, I guess you are right about her. Thanks for the advice!
  • Latiffany31
    Options
    This is not about you. It's about their own insecurities. I experienced the same thing from a close family member and my best friend has never congratulated me on losing the weight. Mind you, she was available every time I cried about being fat, but once I was motivated she went silent on me.I lost 45 pounds and she has not said a word! That is just how some people are. Please don't let it discourage you from continuing on your journey.

Another thing I learned is people may not say anything about your weight loss in the beginning, but sooner or later they'll be seeking you out for weight loss advice. Stay focused. Stay positive. Stay motivated. It will all work out.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    This is not about you. It's about their own insecurities. I experienced the same thing from a close family member and my best friend has never congratulated me on losing the weight. Mind you, she was available every time I cried about being fat, but once I was motivated she went silent on me.I lost 45 pounds and she has not said a word! That is just how some people are. Please don't let it discourage you from continuing on your journey.

Another thing I learned is people may not say anything about your weight loss in the beginning, but sooner or later they'll be seeking you out for weight loss advice. Stay focused. Stay positive. Stay motivated. It will all work out.

I just don't see how people that are extremely close to us, think by being silent, that it actually helps us. We need all the encouragement we can get, but oh well, like you said, we can do this, with or without their support! Thanks!
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    sounds like making fun of you became a habbit for them,and habbits are hard to break.
    If they've been doing it for years they must turn to say something but then have to change what they was about to say but continue to say some thing.
    I think that sad that they are like that towards you.
    I come from a family that will take the p*** .but in the way that we all end up laughing..normally.

I told my mum that she she was a size zero....she was shaped as the 0.

Now she couldn't stop laughing and i think her teeth nearly fell out,a long with my Dad's as well after I said that but it wasn't said in horrible way it was an on the spot joke cause she wasn't even round like that.

I've always said nothing about when I'm loosing weight to anyone unless I feel i need to for food reasons and I find i get better results by just keeping it to myself and just getting on with it.

sights like this one are here to help ppl who don't get the help they need from home.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hi Friend,

First off I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! I was raised in a warm loving family. Some extended family members were mean but my immediate family members were supportive and even defended me in front of them. Therefore I grew up having good self esteem. Once I met my husband's family I was shocked at how badly they could treat one another. I began dating my husband my freshman year of college when I was still living at home. Sometimes I would tell my family about what I had witnessed and they though I was exagerating. Years later, my parents actually witnessed the horrible behavior and appologized for not believing me. I have seen my niece told some things that a parent or grandmother should never say to a young girl. It broke my heart. I stepped in when I could and tried to bolster her self esteem but I couldn't undo it all. I have needed to go toe to toe with many family members and let them know that I could not stop the damage they did to my niece but I would not let them do it to my daughters. My mother in law has had a few instances wheere she was told that she would be lucky to have supervised with our kids but faced losing them all together. Luckily she backed off with the kids and my husband was able to teach them some survival skills. The last big blow up we had was when my mother in law was screaming in my youngest daughter's face telling her that WE (meaning my hubby, eldest daughter, and myself) hated her, did not love her, and thought she was a useless piece of ****, and we wished she was never born. This tiraid came about because my daughter was sick and was not helping load the car. Needless to say I nearly tore my MIL's face off when I read her the riot act. Luckily she backed down and lived to see another day. (We knew our daughter was sick, dizzy, AND nauceous. We had told her to relax and try to settle her stomach before our long car ride home.) We did our best to protect our daughters as best as we could. Thankfully, my hubby also equipped them with survival skills he had acquired. The end result is my kids have learned to create a wall of protection around them and only let kind people into their heart. I am proud that they are not closed off to new people but they emotionally distance themselves from people who are mean and destructive. Because they saw both sides of the fence they can accept criticism that is healthy and positive and reject the negative B.S. Sadly, now that my MIL has mellowed out after a serious medical crisis she is actually much nicer to my kids now and does not insult them. They like the fact that she is nicer now but they will never be as close as they would have been with out the hypercriticism. One technique that we've used that sounds silly but works surprisingly well...is training ourselves to complete an insult in our minds to make it ridiculous and pointless to make us laugh instead of cry. As a small child my daughter smiled and laughed at the thought of purple elephants. So if my MIL said "You are fat, ugly, stupid, etc." she would simply imagine my MIL ending her negative remark with "but see purple elephants flying around the room so I must be blind or crazy!" I have to incredibly fit, thin, drop dead gorgeous daughters. (My profile pic doesn't do them justice) I learned a little while ago that my MIL would poke them when they were out of our view and tell them how fat they were. We laughed that we had no idea what she thought was an ideal weight because I went from her criticising me for being anorexic (I wasn't) to be criticised for being obese. At now time in my entire life have a ever been thin, fit, or healthy. In the end what my family has learned from being around family that does not support you and is destructive is that you need to take control in your own mind. If you want to spend time with them accept the fact that they will be mean and ugly. Talking to them will not change who they are. Just because someone who should care about you is mean to you doesn't mean that what they say about you is true. I've learned to just smile knowing that I think they are an assh*le. I have also learned to treasure and value the many people in the world who will support you like family should even though they are not blood. I also used the serenity prayer a lot too. Insecure assh*les will try to undermine your success when they see you doing something they are too afraid to try to accomplish. Wear their insults with pride knowing that they respect and admire you greatly but are afraid to show it. Don't waste time trying to figure out why they are mean. Live your life knowing that Christ was turned in by someone close to him too. God uses us all. Maybe they are in your life as a visible reminder of the fact YOU have a choice to carve out the life you want for you and your son. Raise your son with the love and support you wished you had. Let go and let God...
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    Hi Friend,

First off I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! I was raised in a warm loving family. Some extended family members were mean but my immediate family members were supportive and even defended me in front of them. Therefore I grew up having good self esteem. Once I met my husband's family I was shocked at how badly they could treat one another. I began dating my husband my freshman year of college when I was still living at home. Sometimes I would tell my family about what I had witnessed and they though I was exagerating. Years later, my parents actually witnessed the horrible behavior and appologized for not believing me. I have seen my niece told some things that a parent or grandmother should never say to a young girl. It broke my heart. I stepped in when I could and tried to bolster her self esteem but I couldn't undo it all. I have needed to go toe to toe with many family members and let them know that I could not stop the damage they did to my niece but I would not let them do it to my daughters. My mother in law has had a few instances wheere she was told that she would be lucky to have supervised with our kids but faced losing them all together. Luckily she backed off with the kids and my husband was able to teach them some survival skills. The last big blow up we had was when my mother in law was screaming in my youngest daughter's face telling her that WE (meaning my hubby, eldest daughter, and myself) hated her, did not love her, and thought she was a useless piece of ****, and we wished she was never born. This tiraid came about because my daughter was sick and was not helping load the car. Needless to say I nearly tore my MIL's face off when I read her the riot act. Luckily she backed down and lived to see another day. (We knew our daughter was sick, dizzy, AND nauceous. We had told her to relax and try to settle her stomach before our long car ride home.) We did our best to protect our daughters as best as we could. Thankfully, my hubby also equipped them with survival skills he had acquired. The end result is my kids have learned to create a wall of protection around them and only let kind people into their heart. I am proud that they are not closed off to new people but they emotionally distance themselves from people who are mean and destructive. Because they saw both sides of the fence they can accept criticism that is healthy and positive and reject the negative B.S. Sadly, now that my MIL has mellowed out after a serious medical crisis she is actually much nicer to my kids now and does not insult them. They like the fact that she is nicer now but they will never be as close as they would have been with out the hypercriticism. One technique that we've used that sounds silly but works surprisingly well...is training ourselves to complete an insult in our minds to make it ridiculous and pointless to make us laugh instead of cry. As a small child my daughter smiled and laughed at the thought of purple elephants. So if my MIL said "You are fat, ugly, stupid, etc." she would simply imagine my MIL ending her negative remark with "but see purple elephants flying around the room so I must be blind or crazy!" I have to incredibly fit, thin, drop dead gorgeous daughters. (My profile pic doesn't do them justice) I learned a little while ago that my MIL would poke them when they were out of our view and tell them how fat they were. We laughed that we had no idea what she thought was an ideal weight because I went from her criticising me for being anorexic (I wasn't) to be criticised for being obese. At now time in my entire life have a ever been thin, fit, or healthy. In the end what my family has learned from being around family that does not support you and is destructive is that you need to take control in your own mind. If you want to spend time with them accept the fact that they will be mean and ugly. Talking to them will not change who they are. Just because someone who should care about you is mean to you doesn't mean that what they say about you is true. I've learned to just smile knowing that I think they are an assh*le. I have also learned to treasure and value the many people in the world who will support you like family should even though they are not blood. I also used the serenity prayer a lot too. Insecure assh*les will try to undermine your success when they see you doing something they are too afraid to try to accomplish. Wear their insults with pride knowing that they respect and admire you greatly but are afraid to show it. Don't waste time trying to figure out why they are mean. Live your life knowing that Christ was turned in by someone close to him too. God uses us all. Maybe they are in your life as a visible reminder of the fact YOU have a choice to carve out the life you want for you and your son. Raise your son with the love and support you wished you had. Let go and let God...

Thanks, as usual your advice is always comforting. XOXO
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I agree with it being awkward for some people. After all, who wants to go up to somebody in public and say 'you look fantastic! Absolutely amazing? How have you achieved all this?', to hear the answer 'I got cancer'?

True story. Not me, I'd like to say I had more sense than to say anything, but the truth is that I'd seen the person's name on the clinic list for the clinic I worked in at the time.

So I won't ever make a fuss/make comments about their appearance unless I actually bump into them at the gym.
  • amaysngrace
    Options

I agree with it being awkward for some people. After all, who wants to go up to somebody in public and say 'you look fantastic! Absolutely amazing? How have you achieved all this?', to hear the answer 'I got cancer'?

True story. Not me, I'd like to say I had more sense than to say anything, but the truth is that I'd seen the person's name on the clinic list for the clinic I worked in at the time.

So I won't ever make a fuss/make comments about their appearance unless I actually bump into them at the gym.

This is a good point, but my neighbor and I were pretty close, so she knows A LOT of stuff about me and she knows that I was always trying to lose weight, but never knew just how. She was the one I was always complaining to about my weight. All of the sudden, now, as someone said earlier about their friend, she says nothing, not even "you look nice." No, I am not expecting her to say anything if she was a stranger, but I know that if she was me and I was her, she would want me to say something to her or she would bring it to my attention. With that being said, her daughter boldly commented to me that I had lost a lot of weight and that I was looking good, so I don't see why she could not even acknowledge it, when she is suppose to be my friend. But, I don't care, it is water under the bridge. But, good point! Thanks.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that "misery loves company". My family is hundreds of miles away, but my wife's family is right around the corner. When I'm eating healthy, making lower calorie selections, deciding not to have dessert etc.... They think that is a "green light" to make whatever lude/crude/rude comment they can to show how much more "fun" they are having by indulging themselves where I don't.

I've had a person actually say to me..."I can't believe you aren't having fries, everyone here but you has fries." I don't really get it either.

I'm a pretty big d!ck though, and am relatively quick to say something like "Who are you to question my choices?" They have calmed down quite a bit in the last couple of months, but in the beginning, I sorta had to put a few in their place.

Good luck with your weight loss! I wish you great success!
  • bill323
    bill323 Posts: 100
    Options
    I don't get outright hate but I do have a bunch of people ignoring my loss and my wife hates when I talk about losing weight or anything to do with calories. She accuses me of wanting to lose weight so I can find another wife. LOL

My mom is very supportive because she has struggled with her weight forever. My good friend was supportive at first and now seems to be less so as I make my rapid descent and get closer to his weight.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    First, congratulations to you on your weight loss! You rock.

When it comes to dealing with unsupportive people, I take a Roadhouse approach: I'm nice. I'm always nice . . . until it's time to not be nice.

For example, I've a hefty aunty who tried to make me eat dessert on holiday. She was pushy and even implied that I was being rude and not participating in the festivities if I didn't eat cake, pie, or cookies . . . I politely refused several times, then when she said, "I can't believe you're just going to sit there and not enjoy a dessert with the rest of us!" I said, "You go ahead. I'm enjoying being a size 4." :)
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    First, congratulations to you on your weight loss! You rock.

When it comes to dealing with unsupportive people, I take a Roadhouse approach: I'm nice. I'm always nice . . . until it's time to not be nice.

For example, I've a hefty aunty who tried to make me eat dessert on holiday. She was pushy and even implied that I was being rude and not participating in the festivities if I didn't eat cake, pie, or cookies . . . I politely refused several times, then when she said, "I can't believe you're just going to sit there and not enjoy a dessert with the rest of us!" I said, "You go ahead. I'm enjoying being a size 4." :)

Haha, I have to admit, that was a slick comeback. I might have to use that one :)