People need to help each other-not argue.

Options
13»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This is, by far, one of the tamest forums I know of.............and consistently has the highest level of offended people. :Mind-Blown:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't mind being told I'm wrong. When I am wrong and learn something, that is a net gain for knowledge.

When someone tells another person that the reason the scale hasn't moved when they're supposedly eating at a deficit is because they've gained muscle, then that's misinformation that should be corrected. When another person tells someone that they can't eat potatoes, pasta, or fruit, then that should also be corrected. People who are new to weight loss read things online or bring a lot of pre-conceived notions to the process that aren't going to help them. People who have lost the weight and are maintaining are great sources of information.

If someone is rude for the sake of being rude, that is a different issue. Those people usually don't last long.

I feel the bolded part is incredibly important. Sometimes people are so stuck on their own opinions that they simply cannot be swayed despite evidence to the contrary. It can be an ego breaker, but I appreciate it when people call me out and prove me wrong, because I learned something and gained both knowledge and wisdom.

Completely agree.

“We find comfort among those who agree with us-- growth among those who don't.” Frank A Clark

It can't be better said than that. Thank you for this quote, it's going in my permanent memory now.

I liked it a lot also. Good quote. I may steal it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Arguing/debating points on forums IS helping people. By virtue of the debating, each side has a chance to present its case. I like to call that Pushing The BS Button. If you call attention to someone who makes a claim and cannot back it up with facts, they are BS'ing. Nutrition, especially, is rife with misinformation and partial anecdotal evidence. You may hear someone say that they know someone who lost x amount of pounds doing y, but fail to include all of the circumstances around it and if they were able to maintain that weightloss.

It is important to debate these points so that newer people have access to REAL information without having to wade through a sea of nonsense. And perceiving blunt truth as rudeness is a weakness on your part. I recommend lifting to bulk up your skin.

This.

OP, it's easy to get your feelings hurt when you're corrected, but it's not personal and after reading the exchange you are upset about I don't think there was any rudeness at all.

tumblr_mlsccoUtxB1qgvdf9o1_500_zps381b3e95.gif

(I don't know if this^^ is always true, but it is in this case)
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You're coming off like a hurt child. Just step away for a minute and you'll see you're taking this far too personally. You'll laugh about it later.

She's a teenager. Take that into consideration.

OP: Please listen to some of these people here, even if they come off as rude. You may learn something from their successes and failures. You're young and there's no way you know as much as some of the people who have had decades of life experience over you.
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options
    Thanks for your debating, people. A few good points have been raised here. A lot of prejudice/judgement going on about my age/how much i know. Of course i dont have years of weight loss experience, i know that.
    There are a lot of conflicting views about everything, i dont really know who to believe about what.
    Sorry as i seemed to upset some people, i just dont see the point in arguing; i only ask for advice.
  • emilysmallfry93
    Options
    But i do have experience; it may only be a few years compared to decades-but at least dont judge a book by its cover.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your debating, people. A few good points have been raised here. A lot of prejudice/judgement going on about my age/how much i know. Of course i dont have years of weight loss experience, i know that.
    There are a lot of conflicting views about everything, i dont really know who to believe about what.
    Sorry as i seemed to upset some people, i just dont see the point in arguing; i only ask for advice.

You're not going to get any flack here for asking for advice. What will get you into trouble though is giving advice based on "facts" that aren't supported by science. There's a difference between saying "I find that eating more often helps me" and saying "you have to eat every 2 hours to boost your metabolism" for example. The former is fine, the latter will be corrected because it isn't true.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree. I see a lot of anger on these posts...
    But, I will say, some people are just trying to help you out, not trying to "bring you down".
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    29zgnc.jpg
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am being forced to listen to the Mumford brothers over the public music system for the 3rd time in less than 7 hours while I am at work.

It's enough to make anyone touchy, sarcastic and snippy.

Just sayin'
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying now as I have noticed over the past few weeks just reading the posts that some people just want to shoot you down and make you feel so bad about having different views to diet and exercise!!

ONE solution doesn't work for EVERY person.

This site is for people to help each other, share ideas, don't tell me I'm wrong. Thanks :smile:

I wish I could requote that 100 times - one will have to do :)
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Screw you!!! just kidding:) agreed!!
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    I'm glad you have the guts to say this! I agree with you. :drinker:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    That's fine, but who knows who has the wrong information and who doesn't? its just silly bickering, I joined this site so I would be able to have support from other people and help others, now i think i might just leave the topics altogether.

Actually, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and there's a lot of correct information out there...it's pretty easy to discern fact from fiction IMHO, but then again, I like to do a lot of research. Most of the "arguing" you see is people who are knowledgeable trying to dispel miss-information.

When it comes down to it, this is just very simple math and science. When you understand that, it becomes very easy to recognize BS and bro-science for what it is.

^ Yup!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I agree. I see a lot of anger on these posts...
    But, I will say, some people are just trying to help you out, not trying to "bring you down".

I don't know about the "anger" part. What I find interesting is how people read "tone" into internet message board replies. People create the message in their head, and if they believe a person is "attacking" them in any sort of way, then they read it in a nasty "tone" in their head.

The only time I see real anger, is when people start to throw around actual insults against others. Which does happen from time to time, but is usually precluded by people reading a "tone" into a message that quite honestly could be completely and totally not there.