Went and saw a nutritionist... uh what?

Options

Replies

• aims_86
    aims_86 Posts: 74
    Options
    OP - have you measured out & logged a days worth of meals following the nutritionists advice? I've already said that you can easily get to 1300cals with the right foods & portion sizes. It's annoying me that people are still replying just saying no that's too low, yes, 900cals is too low, this diet needs correct portions & tracked properly. It's the OP who has said it comes to 900 cals.

Did you not question the nutritionist when she gave you the food plan? If you've paid for it, then surely you'd want to discuss concerns! It's like saving your hair cut, you'd never walk out feeling like they'd done a botched job!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Okay, so if I had the same knowledge I have now AND a certificate, that would make me more knowledgeable? That's the dumbest thing I've heard today. All that studying and passing an exam means is that you memorized a bunch of stuff in a textbook. It doesn't give you expertise. It doesn't mean you know how to apply knowledge to real-life scenarios. I work for a medical malpractice insurance company. You have no idea how many doctors are licensed to practice medicine who shouldn't be.

My experience is not an opinion. It actually happened, which makes it a fact. Would what I did work for 100% of the people in the world who need to lose weight? Probably not, but it would absolutely work for most of them. We are not all special snowflakes with special problems that no one else in the world has ever had. Most of us are remarkably similar in terms of how the laws of thermodynamics apply to our bodies. Where we differ is mostly in our attitudes.

Sheesh!! The only way you can validate your knowledge is by having the credentials (OK so you need experience as well). No, that doesn't mean anything other than the person "should" know what he/she is doing, I agree, but saying you are an expert because of something that happened to you is clearly the dumbest thing I've heard today!.

The only 'fact' is it worked for you, that makes it anecdotal. If you work in medical malpractice you should know these things, or if someone says "This doctor made me worse" you then accept that as proof?

No offence intended, the point I'm trying to make is that if you consult an unqualified person, you are many times more likely to receive bad advice than consulting a qualified person. And nutritionists, unless they are dietitians are largely unqualified, it is the nature of the beast.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    shoot the Nutritionist

:laugh: :laugh:
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I went and saw a nutritionist today, my exercise is pretty good and wanted help on the diet side of things.

I know I eat way too much pasta but did not expect the news she gave me!

Essentially my diet would be: (similarish to what I eat now except for the dinners)

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

I know I have a fair amount of weight to lose but I'm not 300kg, I mean really... Does this sound right?

**Edit: I have another appointment in three weeks, was just going to try it out and see how things go but at that rate I'll have lost maybe 12kg in three weeks

Not to sound stupid (and I'll admit I didn't read the whole thread) but I don't see any AMOUNTS of anything.

Breakfast: You could eat, say, 100gms of muesli, massive dollop of yoghurt, a chopped banana, strawberries and blueberries and that could easily top 600 cals alone.

Lunch: You could have a dressed salad with two chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and that'll be about 600 cals

Dinner: You could have an 8oz sirloin with broccoli and carrot and something like mashed sweetpotato and that'll weigh in about 600 cals.

Without trying I have hit 1800 cals following your nutritionist's advice.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Also, seconded. But I wouldn't wrap anything in bacon. No offense to the poster. Bacon and I just aren't friends.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Also, seconded. But I wouldn't wrap anything in bacon. No offense to the poster. Bacon and I just aren't friends.

Just take 150ish cals off for that delicious smoked back bacon you're removing..... now you've totalled 1650! Still way more than 900.... plus you could just eat a 10oz steak for tea to make it up..... problem solved.

Seriously, the template given works if you think a little bit and fill it with the right stuff. I can't believe there's been 10 pages of discussion over this!

*oops - 8 pages of discussion (it just feels like 10!)
  • bricktowngal
    bricktowngal Posts: 206
    Options
    That sounds wayyyyy to low!
  • Leanne1957
    Leanne1957 Posts: 1
    Options
    Actually, I think you have answered your own question. You are exercising, eating 1300 cals, and you have lost 10kg in 2 months. That is a very impressive loss! Sounds like what you are doing is working! If you cut to 900 calories, you would probably lose faster, but you would also be hungry all the time, and that is not something most of us can sustain.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can get away with eating that low depending on how much weight you need to lose for a short period of time, but you would need to do a re feed probably every three days or so and eat up to maintenance level, probably around what you were at originally 14 - 1,600. A very short woman could eat at 900 long term due to having less calorie needs 5'0 and under depending on body weight and lean muscle mass...

But if you are 5'8 and working out that much, 900 is not going to fuel your body for long and is at a huge deficit for your height.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think you have answered your own question. You are exercising, eating 1300 cals, and you have lost 10kg in 2 months. That is a very impressive loss! Sounds like what you are doing is working! If you cut to 900 calories, you would probably lose faster, but you would also be hungry all the time, and that is not something most of us can sustain.

What she said.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not right! Slow and steady wins the race. What did you tell your nutritionist you wanted to do?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I lost my reply?
    I hoped you looked her in the eyes and said what the hell kind of plan is this? I DONT eat this stuff. I told you that werent you listening and told her you werent paying for the session.
    I got very "unpleasant" after being completed disrespected and ignored. She knew precisely what she did wrong, and how in the future she could fix it. She received a lecture.
    Any RD worth his/her salt would first tailor to their clients allergies and dietary habits. IDK what an idiot maybe she was worried about her kids soccer game or something.
    You would think allergies would be an important thing. Apparently not.
    I didnt think MIT had an RD program or was this a staff RD hired for the school? She was probably married to some department head or something.
    This was through MIT Medical, the school runs a large medical facility for students, staff and family. She was an employee of MIT medical, and a complaint was filed.
    Most RD's listen to their clients understand the science and tailor a diet to their clients needs.
    All it takes is one not doing it, and the client following direction, and getting really sick or hurt.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    NOT RIGHT! My nutritionist has told me I should be eating 1500-1800 calories, maybe more to LOSE, and in the very beginning I was 145lbs at 5'0".... Holy crap even I know that's just waay too low... I would suggest having a large (healthy) breakfast, with a small protein filled snack in between meals and a light dinner... But that's hard to stick to for me, I try but with a toddler it's hard to make snacks, let alone whole meals..
  • benapp21
    benapp21 Posts: 5
    Options
    who has the time to count calories man that **** is a pain just eat smaller portions of the right macros and veggies and you should be fine.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. I seriously don't understand how a nutritionist of all people could recommend 900 calories a day?!

Personally I think 1300 is a bit low even, for all the exercise you do. 900 is just crazy. I would advise you never return, they obviously don't have a clue what they're talking about :/
  • jimmmer
    Options
    No. Just no. I seriously don't understand how a nutritionist of all people could recommend 900 calories a day?!

Personally I think 1300 is a bit low even, for all the exercise you do. 900 is just crazy. I would advise you never return, they obviously don't have a clue what they're talking about :/

But, we haven't actually established if the Nutritionist told her to eat 900, have we? I admit, I didn't really super read the whole thread, but it seems like the OP took the meal plan and worked out that it would come to 900....? Or has she clarified that point later in the thread and I missed it?
  • jimmmer
    Options
    who has the time to count calories man that **** is a pain just eat smaller portions of the right macros and veggies and you should be fine.

Says the man signed up to a calorie counting website!
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    No need to be rude. I imagine a fair few people on here have sought expert advice before and wondering if it's normal because this small amount of calories goes against everything I've read about.

Was asking if someone has had a similar experience and if it's safe or healthy to eat so few calories.

I didn't see anyone previous to this post being rude... in your original post you asked us if that meal plan seemed right, and you got some answers, that's all.
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    ... This argument is STILL going!? -.-
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    With a name like lulz, it's hard to take this seriously. Anyone can eat more than 900 calories, based on the sketchy advice outlined in the OP. Muesli, in particular, is not a low calorie food.
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    This nutritionist clearly does not understand the complexity of the human metabolism. This seems like it would set you up for metabolic damage and more weight gain in the future. Watch this video for more information!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk