WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Amanda,sorry about dad,prayers for u both.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Much better weather today. We tried to get in to Port Isaac, which is the film location for Doc Martin, a British TV series about a grumpy doctor. We set off a bit too late as the car parks were full, so we turned around and went to the next village down the coast and had a fabulous walk along the cliffs in the sunshine. In the car park there was a van serving food and we had (very expensive) fresh crab sandwiches. I said, hold the mayo, but I did have some guacamole to moisten it. It was full of herbs and spinach. Truly the best crab sandwich I have ever had! !!!:laugh:
    We shopped for a few more bits to see out the week and then I decided I would like to eat out tomorrow night. It is always the same, I have to make the decision, do the research, decide on a place, phone and book it. Then I have to make sure we have the exact location and parking options. :sad: I do love my DH very much, but I would like to be TAKEN OUT once in a while. It takes away some of the pleasure when I feel I am just dragging him along. He really wouldn't care if we never went out, but I like to do it once in a while. My last husband was exactly the same so I guess I just marry the same type, or I mould them that way! :bigsmile: What happened to old fashioned romance? He even sighs when I hand him the lap top so he can see where we are going.:sick:
    Rant over. I think the reality is I prefer to be with a man who doesn't boss me or dictate to me, so I have to take the rough with the smooth. I do love him really :heart:
    Lamb curry with spinach tonight. I think it's going yo be a bit hot for DH so he will have to have a lot of rice and yoghourt with it. I will have it with no rice as I am running out of calories.
    Amanda - my thoughts are with you.:heart:
    Love to all and keep on trucking! :flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes. It was a great day and the halibut was incredible. I am back to logging food today (I haven't for quite a while) I am back on track and looking forward to feeling good and having energy again.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    PNW
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Robin.........Very belated birthday wishes; your dinner sounded delish!!

Lizplus.........good luck with all your moves; hoping your sister is having a good day

Joy.....welcome back!!

Amanda..........just soak up these "bonus days" with your dad, thinking of you

Newluna..........I'm a daily weight too; knowledge is power and welcome to you!

Connie..........my dh was on the Kennedy too; late 70's; we just dragged out one of his evals for the dates a few months ago when my dd was applying for a scholarship

Katla.........Aunt Mimi sounds like my kind of person!!! I'd say your sadness over your daughter's possible move is entirely OK; not self pity at all, a totally normal emotion

Yardtigress..........FIVE lbs??? WTG!!! Great work!!

Joyce.........landline here too.......TracFone has all kinds of phones now, even the smart kind--you just buy the phone and then get the min. from them

Michele.........old letters, I would love that........I have some family ones and I treasure them

Drove my dd to a neighboring city to take her GRE test for grad school today. I think she's kind of sorry now that she got the summer lab position; it's hitting her that she'll have almost no summer at home. She said yesterday that she never expected to get it when she applied. We had to buy her some clothes as the dress code in this lab is business casual (under the lab coats). That was quite an experience to see her looking really professional. Fortunately we have some super consignment shops in our city!!!

I am almost 400 (!!!!!) cals over, really blew it today..........no hot chocolate tonight!!!
    yanniejannie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,770 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    today has been a day, check my pedometer earlier in the afternoon and had 14,100 steps and I was flabbergasted to say the least, but I will take what I can:bigsmile:
    a patient that I see at the gym, came in to the office today and just gushed at how wonderful I looked and a few other's have noticed too.Maybe after you get to a certain weight you can realoly tell:blushing:
    so all in all it was a good day for me...
    going to try and stay awake ,James Taylor is on PBS tonight and he is my favorite:heart:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    'evening, all -- we are safely back home from our travel to my sister's in IL, have unpacked the car and picked up the dog. Dinner tonight will be a simple pasta and sauce as the ingredients are already here. I haven't weighed since before our trip so I am both curious and dreading the scale tomorrow morning. Sis and I did walk several days in her hilly neighborhood, plus 'strolling' through stores for hours. I've been fine on water throughout, so that should help.

We had the best time making some tutu's for her [church] pre-k's dress up closet (for next fall). They were the cutest things! We used an adult size crocheted headband for the waistband/base and short lengths of tulle going around it. (If you've ever done a latch hook rug, that is the basic technique for attaching the tulle pieces to the headband.) We also made one out of an old cut up white sheer curtain panel. Then we dressed them up in various ways. The white one got a lavendar-sequined headband added at the waist for extra bling, plus some blue and purple stars added with stretchy gold cord around the waist. We added little green daisies to the soft green and ivory one, etc. JoAnn's had sequined headband 'crowns' for $1 to complete the little costumes. We had a great time. She also cut out a couple of knight costumes (really just an over-the-head tabard type of garment) from some rich upholstery fabric she had and I taught her how to use the double sided stitch witchery stuff to be able to make a crest for the front of each. (She is using their church logo as the crest.) Anyway, we passed a good bit of time working together on them and now I fear I have tutu fever and no outlet for it! Maybe I'll make one for my neighbor's grand daughter as a surprise.

Well, tomorrow is back to a more normal routine and back to work. It was a very relaxing trip and I didn't log into work at all, so the inbox is bound to be challenging. Also will have to monitor the boss' since he is now on his family vacation through the end of next week. Calm or chaos.... we'll see what it is!

Hope all have a great night. I need to make supper.

Gail, back in metro ATL
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tu tu fever, I love it!

Yanni jannie, one reason I gave up the TracFone was the coverage. It was bad around here. So even though it was a wonderful price for the kind of need I had if you don't get any signal you don't have a phone. I have never had any trouble with my Virgin Mobile coverage and I have a wide selection of phones to choose from. We aren't hurting in money so I'm not worried about it. But I just hate when I see my oldest daughter who is struggling financially spend all the money they do on a cell phone plan for them.

I had enough calories, carbs, etc left after supper that I got on my smart phone app to see what kind of a Blizzard I could get at Dairy Queen. I hate paying that price for a mini blizzard but it sure was good.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Busy day and now off to bed early:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

:flowerforyou: I worked on a big computer project this morning that took over two hours but I still managed to get 20,000 steps

Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Robin – Belated Happy Birthday. May it be your happiest and healthiest year ever.:happy: :happy:

Joy- Enjoy that cruise. Congrats on losing 1.5! :flowerforyou:

Joyce in Indiana- Congrats on seeing lower numbers on the scale. At the rate you’re going you’ll fit into your new blouses soon. :glasses:

Juanita- You are on a roll! Losing a pound and feeling your emerging fitness while walking and hiking. Bravo.:happy:

Connie- Wish I could give you all my egg shells and other compostable material. I’d love to make my own compost, but really don’t the space to do it right. I buy the liquid stuff at the garden center.:tongue:

Amanda – Praying for your dad. :flowerforyou:

DeeDee- Happy birthday to sweet Noel! Here’s to 8 more years of playing with balls together.:heart::heart:

JB- Ah-maaazing garden photos. I especially like the artichoke.Thanks for sharing.:happy:

Katla- When will you be getting to Colorado? So glad your DH has found a skilled therapist. :wink:

Meg- Welcome back! Glad your dad is better.:smile:
    :frown:
    YannieJannie- Congrats to your daughter for landing the lab position. Welcome to the world of work and business casual attire. :cry:

Grandmallie- What a terrific NSV ! I love James Taylor, too. Saw him live at Red Rocks Ampitheathre last summer.:smokin:

Gail- Your vacation sounds very relaxing. I am a crafty person and just love being introduced to new projects. Tutu fever – go with it! :ohwell:

Brooke- Miss you and your daily quotes. :frown:

I weigh every morning. I am making up for lost time when I only weighed once a year at the doctor's office, justifying to myself that as long as my clothes still fit, I was okay. Denial is not pretty. Now I am living by the mantra "what gets measured, gets done". As the end of the month is within sights, I'm ramping up my efforts to hit my monthly goals. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Best to all of you on MFP journey. Thank you all for your constant support, compassion and inspiration.

Stay well,
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: We see Doc Martin on our Public Broadcasting Station. I can imagine that parking at Port Isaac is often full. I’ll bet the next village down the coast is also lovely. I can never figure out whether the series is still in production or not.:huh:

jmkmomm: My daughter bought a cell phone with minutes. She can buy more minutes as needed, but the basic plan cost is relatively low. I’m not sure which carrier she uses. We have AT&T because it is the only reliable signal in our area.

Barbie: You’re doing much better at exercise than I am. I went to yoga this morning, though, and you’ve inspired me to add 30 minutes of recumbent trike this evening. thanks for the nudge.:smile:

We had a good day. DH went to physical therapy, which is actually helping him regain some mobility. Yay! :bigsmile: :drinker: This afternoon I had a nap while he cooked clam linguini for dinner. He managed to do it without adding salt, although the canned clams and nectar have plenty of that already. It was yummy.:flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,375 Member
    Options
    Going to be rushed today. I japologize for those that I don't comment to individually.

Got up, swam some laps at the Y, went to CVS then the post office then came home and then we worked outside from about 10 until 4:30. It was warm so went in the pool for an hour, made dinner, went to WalMart (Vince wanted to look for flip flops <are they expensive there!> and a bathing suit, came home and made the whipped cream for the gal at mahjongg tomorrow night. Just found out that she's not going to be there! What to do? The whipped cream can't last, it's not something that I can freeze.

We ran out of landscape fabric today. Vince ordered more but it's scheduled to be delivered Monday. Tomorrow we have a board meeting for the Newcomers, then senior bowling, then mahjongg. Wednesdays are sort-of crazy for me.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a DVD on the Bosu at home.

Amanda - I'm so sorry about your dad. You take care of yourself, too, don't forget now

Joy - I have 2, 3, (those I never use any more) 5, 8, and 10 pound dumbbells.

DeeDee - this recipe doesn't call for vanilla, but it did call for unflavored gelatin. Don't know what that'll do.

Heather - crab sandwich - yummmy. Vince, too, doesn't like to go out to dinner.

Gotta get ready for bed now. Thinking of you all. I did read the posts, just no time to respond to many. It's probably going to be like this tomorrow, too.

Michele in NC
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

What a busy group of people! I admire you for all the yardwork and gardening that is going on. I am so bad at growing things! We have some drip irrigation now and maybe that will help.

It's a busy week. Our school play is this week and then a trip to the zoo. Next week we will be out of school. But then I have company coming the next day. And more the next week. I have to find some time to get this house in order. But this weekend are graduation and parties for some of the high school kids. Oh, well. I'd rather be busy than bored.

My father-in-law has been in the hospital with a bad case of shingles. They just moved him to a nursing home so that he can get his meds and physical therapy regularly. He's 90 years old so this is hard on him.

Praying for your father, Amanda.
    Happy birthday, Robin.
    So happy for all who are reporting weight losses!!

Eileen near San Diego
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Another good WI day for me - down another pound. :heart: MIL called last night. She was upset that hubby hadn't called her yesterday to let her know that he made it to Virginia safely. I told her he traveled for 23 1/2 hours to get there. Once there he had to rent a car, find the hotel (found the wrong hotel and ended up staying there because he was just too tired to try to find the right one) and he went straight to bed. She wanted to know how was she supposed to know that the plane didn't crash or something?!?!?! I told her to watch the news. If a plane crashed it would have been on the news. :noway: Then she wanted to know if we were cruising on Norwegian next month. I told her no, Celebrity. She said she had a coupon for a free bottle of wine and dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant and was I sure we weren't cruising Norwegian? I told her again that no, we were cruising Celebrity. So she said that since we are cruising up the coast of Norway (doing an arctic circle cruise) they would probably honor the coupon if I wanted her to send it to me. Uhhhhhh - no. I don't think so. :huh:

DeeDee2211 - Happy Birthday to Noel. We miss our fur babies. Now I just get fixes from dog sitting when our friends go on vacation. As soon as we move back to the US we're going to get another one though. I just love their unconditional love!

m3x43 - I had just a tinge of homesickness reading your post. They don't celebrate Memorial Day here and I really miss the long weekend and cooking out! :sad:

jb - :heart: your garden! It's so big! Do you eat everything yourself or do you sell some of it?

Katla - sounds like a wonderful day! I love spending time with the grandkids. Enjoy!

megblair1 - Thank you! I like that, NO MORE EXCUSES!

Tigress - you should try some of the OLD balsamic. My husband thought I was crazy when I put it on my ice cream (before dieting). When we were in Rome I convinced him he just had to try some at one of the gourmet stores. He fought it and fought it but once I got it down him he was hooked! I took some to our Church's potluck on Sunday for our salad and once the first person tried it they started telling everyone else about it and everyone lined up with their spoons for a taste. Our guide in Rome had it right when she said "the right balsamic vinegar can change your life".

janemartin02 - lots of rain here too, I feel your pain.

cityjaneLondo - I saw that Downton Abbey was open for tours this summer. Have you thought about going there? I really would like to do it. My husband is sort of like your hubby when it comes to eating out. Everything except the bit about directions and address. I just tell him we're going and where and he looks it up online and put it in the TomTom and we're off. But he wouldn't think about going out to eat on his own.

rjadams - I started logging again yesterday. It really makes a difference!

yanniejannie - Thank you! I ended up being 256 calories over yesterday (55 grams over in fat, 14 over in sugar, 3 over in protein) and was scared to get on the scale this morning. Turn out I was down a pound! I love this phase of the Fast Metabolism Diet. Lots of healthy fats. I would really like to do this phase 7 days a week instead of 3 but the plan seems to be working.

grandmallie - Congratulations on your NSV! I'm sure you look wonderful!

Gail - you are SO creative! I could never do something like that. Do you have pictures of them?

jmkmomm - now I'm going to be obsessing over blizzards all day. Thanks a lot! :angry: :tongue:

barbiecat - Great job! I need to start exercising again but I just get so tired going up and down the steps. It's suppose to be nice here tomorrow so i think I'll go for a walk then. I just can't believe how exhausting pneumonia is! My body thinks it's better but it's taking some time to get back. Getting older sucks!

Poerava14 - Thank you and I will! I'm with you when it comes to weighing in too. Gone from once a year to once a day. It seems to be working for us though! :flowerforyou:

Katla - YUM! That sounds amazing!!

exermom - Hmmm ... I think I need to go back and look at your last post and see if I can find anything on youtube about it. On this new diet we are on, on days 3 & 4 we are to use weights. I was trying to decide how do to that. Thanks for the idea!

edraper70 - Here's to being busy rather than bored! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Have a great day!

Joy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Joy. - I never took to Downton, but I loved Doc Martin. I love visiting stately homes tho. We belong to the National Trust and pay a yearly fee, so we can visit homes for free.
    My DH will also use his Tom Tom, but in Cornwall it is the parking that is a problem. In St Ives, for example, you have to park at the top of the town and get a bus down. Today we will park and walk along the river to the restaurant in a back street. Cornwall is too popular! !!!!!! :sad:
    Tonight I am hoping the food will be good, but nearly everything comes with a buttery or creamy sauce. I will have to choose carefully and maybe ask the kitchen to modify dishes. It specializes in sea food with local crab and mussels etc, so I am hoping their 'catch of the day' will suit me. I can always leave most of the sauce! Often in these places I have two starters and no main as the starters always seem more imaginative. I adore seafood and fish.
    The curry last night was HOT! Poor DH! :sad: I loved it of course, :laugh: , but he was suffering I could see. He hasn't really been in a good mood since his team lost the promotion match, so today I am sending him out on his own for a LONG walk somewhere. He loves to do that and it will put him in a better mood. :bigsmile: It is a nuisance for him having to go at my pace, although I am so much faster now. Even years ago I hated hills! :grumble: Now I sail up :flowerforyou: And even in my forties my poor feet, which have pronation and adhesions around the ankles from sprains, would be so painful the next day I could hardly walk on them. That is gone now as I do foot and ankle exercises every day. Result!
    When he has gone I will do 30D and dumbbells and might walk down to the bridge and back up the hill. If the weather cheers up I might go further. The curry made me gain water weight this morning, but it can't be FAT.:sad:

Sorry to hear of all those whose parents are suffering. My mum was lucky in a way because when she went she went quickly - in hospital and downhill fast. Previously she had managed to live in her own home with a bit of help. I must say I'm beginning to dread my own old age. If I get there that is:huh:
    A few of my friends still have their mums alive, but it is a great worry and struggle. I bet we all say we don't want to be a burden when we get old and end up being one. I don't know what the answer is. Try to stay healthy like we all do? Then hope a bolt of lightening takes us at a ripe old age. !:embarassed: :ohwell: :laugh:
    Love to all, Heather in grey Cornwall. :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve read all the posts and I`m thinking of you all:flowerforyou: , I just have no time to post this morning:sad: !

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in warm sunny beautiful NC:glasses:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,
    I read what posts I can right now ....and there is SO much support..comfort and cheers coming from them that it makes my eyes tear up..:cry: . We are basically strangers... but come together like family :heart: ...That is So special :heart: :heart:
    Thank you So much for the prayers and support for me and my sister :flowerforyou: It is greatly appreciated :happy: ...Well today is her birthday and my other sister and I are taking her out to lunch....spend the day with her...I feel like we are never apart... cause when we are not together in body ...we are on the phone
    My DH is going to help our son move today..and his friend....they understand that I won't be there to help..that this is a very important day....They had movers booked but they called and said they could not come to after 5:30.:angry: .and that would make it too late moving in..this apartment building doesn't allow moving after 5 pm so as not to disturb the other people living there.....And that is understandable..so they are renting a truck and moving it themselves...so DH will be really sore tonight and for a few days most likely :sick:
    Well dear friends I have to get some things together before my sister picks me up...You ALL have a lovely low calorie day :flowerforyou:

Liz fr Halifax NS
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well good morning DH is back on nights, and that makes me happy, no more watching, Tales of the gun or How this was made on TV. I have a walk planned for this morning a little time in the garden and the studio today.

Joy-I have tried old balsamic one was 23 years old and one at 17 years old, they weren't cheap either. Just don't like the taste. Well I don't like the taste of alcohol either so maybe it's my taste buds.

Bbl Tigress in GA
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Bump to find later.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,770 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    im up and after wearing the new sneakers for the day, with the orthodics, my heel still hurts so no gym today:grumble:
    and am up a lb or so, but that is just fluctuation and sodium. I am not worried....
    we are having a picnic this weekend,with all sorts of picnic foods, will be hard for me..I am making deviled eggs,macaroni salad,hamburgs ,hot dogs etc... I will have my veggie burger and maybe some veggies..but how I love macaroni salad:noway:
    hoping everyone week is going well.rainy here today and will be getting up into the 90's for the end of the week. what extremes we are having
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my place. have a good day, everyone!:flowerforyou: