"Stop losing weight!" Uggggh.

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Most of my life, at 5'3", I was about 110-120 pounds. I was a size 4-6. I gained some weight and then lost most (not all) of it and was about 132 pounds until I changed BC and regained some.

At 132 pounds, still heavier than I had been most of my life, my mother accused me of being anorexic. Ignore them. They'll get over it.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This girl I work with told me I was looking "emaciated". Uhh, idk how that's possible at 5'1" 145lbs lol. Some people have a hard time watching otherw succeed. Try not to let it bother you, and keep going strong! :)
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I relate. They still dont see your slimmer self - just your old obese self and they think you are heading for anorexia.
    Talk to your doctor and get his/her opinion of where you should be. Then confront them with "my doctor says........" They cant argue with that.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    BMI!

If you want to help them understand--and even let them know that you still want their support because you're not at your goal--you could sit them down and calculate your BMI. Tell them, "this is where I am, and THIS is where I want to be..."

It might be a good visual tool to let them see what you're talking about, and get them off your back a bit ;)
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. My family and friends comment a lot and say I'm too skinny and should stop losing weight now. I know it's because they care about me and are just worried that I'll develop some eating disorder but it's still very annoying. Especially since I know they can look at other girls skinnier than me and still say she looks healthy! I asked my mom about a H&M model if she thought she was too skinny but no, she wasn't but I am! Yeah, that makes sense. Mom keeps saying I'm just as skinny as the models lol. I guess they're a bit blind because they're still used to seeing you a lot bigger.

I think you're doing awesome and of course keep going until you're satisfied. I've lowered my goal weight many times as I go which worries my family. Now for example my goal weight is to be 110-115 lbs which I know is low for my height of 5'6" but I know I'm not going to look unhealthy or too skinny so I'll do what I think is best for me. :-) Good luck to you and stay strong!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Ugggggggh indeed.
    My uncle always asks me "are you eating?", and tries to force feed me junk food. (I eat a tonne).
    My parents tell me I'm shrinking away even though I lost 10kg last year and have maintained that ever since.
    The part that bothers me is when they look down on me for eating a huuuuuge salad at midday, yet they encourage me to eat chocolate biscuits at 11pm before bed. Um, no thanks.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Have the supported you in your success so far? Have the exercised with you? Have they told you week after week to not give up and celebrated with you achieving your goals?

If not tell them to mind there own business :tongue:
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. At work I got in 'trouble' because I was unwell and lost weight when I was already at my goal. In fact I am still losing, which sucks, but I guess I will keep adding calories until I maintain . I did notice that a lady noticed my chips I had before our shift. And the ones who care actually see how much I eat at work. They haven't seen me skinny before, so it's a shock.

My dad commented on Saturday that I 'probably need to start eating more normally' . That would be his way of saying , I've done well and don't need to lose anymore. He knows my body shape, but always worried about my sister and I when we were extra skinny. I told my husband to mention how much I actually eat everyday, just so he isn't so concerned .
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't t think there is anything wrong with it at all! It depends! At long as you are healthy and happy doing it then nothing wrong! :D
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    For reference, I'm 5'5 & 158 lbs!! I wear a size 8! Far from "overdoing" it!! I know a big part is that they've always known me as morbidly obese, they've never seen me like this. My sister is freaking 5'6 & 135 lbs so I don't get it?!

I don't know your family, but to me, it sounds like they like having you be the 'heavy' one so they can feel better about themselves. If you end up thinner than them, then it hurts their ego. I have friends like this - they like the 'fat' me because I make them feel skinny
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes DITTO. My mother tells me I look Gaunt! I am 5'9" 1/4" and I am around 168-172 depending on water retention. I hit my goal weight of 170 about 8 wks ago, and started eating more cals, gained up to 178 and now seem to be stable within 4 lbs which is normal and perfect. Total loss 112 lbs this go around! And the fact is that I have not been this weight since I was 17 yrs old, so they are not used to seeing me this trim. My whole body has changed too because working with my personal trainer has completely re-defined my shape so that is a big change too! I just try to ignore it. Both my Mom and sister are areound 50-60 lbs over weight too, and sometimes it's just hard to see someone else finally get it when you are stuck! I have so been there!!
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of comments, like 'you're done now, right?', or 'you can stop losing any time now', or my MIL who flat out told me 'that's enough, no more', with her stern face on.
    Whatever, I'm 5'4" and 125lbs. I'm not fading away, I still have a good 10lbs of chub to either lose completely or convert to muscle mass.
    I say just keep doing what you're doing, get to YOUR goal weight. And congratulations by the way, you've made some amazing progress and I think your family should be nothing but insanely proud of your efforts.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Im wondering if this is odd!I was a member of Unislim years ago Im 5ft 2 and medium frame when I reached 9 stone I was told if I lost any more weight my membership would be suspended now you would think that at 5 ft 2 9 stone might be pushing at heavy but in fact I was looking gaunt,I have found even at my height 9.5 to 10 stone actually suits me,its when I go over 10 its a problem one sise dosnt fit all!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Yes I've experienced the same. I just say that I have more than enough body fat to be healthy. :wink:
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have to deal with these kind of comments all the time I can tell the difference between people who say things because they care and people who say things because they are jealous.

My parents say things about me "working out too hard" because they are afraid I will hurt myself or something bad will happen they aren't used to girls doing weight training. They also tell me that I should be careful not to lose too much weight. They actually care about me, and my changes have encouraged them to make healthy choices.

On the other hand, my best friend is very jealous. She lost 50lbs from pills not saying there is anything wrong with that but after she stopped taking them she hasn't lost another pound. I never used anything and I kept going long after she stopped. Now she tells me I look "sick" and tells me my face looks "sunk in" or "too gaunt". She even implies I'm anorexic, to which I have to say I eat and everyone sees me eat thankyouverymuch!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I used to be one of those people who thought everyone trying to lose weight was going to get too skinny. A large part of this was because I had no idea what a "healthy" weight looked like. I was also really used to what my friends/family looked like before and I was concerned they'd go too far. It was never jealousy, kind of more just a fear of the unknown. Now that I'm going through this process myself I feel that I can relate a lot more to what they went through and I feel bad about the assumptions I had about people losing weight in the past. I'm sure your family just means well and they want you to be healthy, they just don't know what that means. It's good you shared your goal with them and let them know you just want to get to a healthy body weight. Just try to educate them the best you can, and hopefully they'll come around eventually. Once they're used to the new you, they'll probably forget their worries. Just keep doing what makes you happy, it's your body, and you're aiming to live a long healthy life. Nothing wrong with that.

^^^^^ This is great advice. Your family will adjust as time passes. Congratulations!!! You have accomplished something big and your goal is fine!!!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I did being up BMI to try to shut them up but they don't believe in BMI. I actually don't really either as I know I'm not overweight. Just wish they would mind their business!

They jealous... they hatin. Your sister probably doesn't want you to be smaller than her lol.
  • ornatelykate
    Options
    I feel like sometimes people want you to stay the fat friend/cousin haha... As long as you're doing it in a healthy way - keep going! Good job.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I did being up BMI to try to shut them up but they don't believe in BMI. I actually don't really either as I know I'm not overweight. Just wish they would mind their business!
    Sounds like you're going to be stuck with just "accepting" it (I don't mean believing what they say, but just going with "Thank you for your concern. I'll be careful, but please stop bringing it up" and moving on). :ohwell: Sorry. Hopefully you have enough support on here that you can keep yourself healthy anyway. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Overweight has somehow become equated with being "healthy" these days. I blame the fat acceptance movement.

This^^^
    ETA My mother has done this to me while I was growing up, bc I wasn't as "healthy" as some of my siblings she would make jokes about how I need a couple burgers so the wind won't take me away....