True Trek Fans Rant Here! *movie spoilers likely*

Options
124»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone has already said it, but I love how it says "TRUE trek fans"...like you can't be that if you enjoy the Abrams movies. lol

I find enjoyment in all versions of star trek! I definitely consider myself a fan.

I never said that I did not enjoy Abrams movies. What I said was I didn't like the liberties he took with it. Implying that a 'true Trek' fan would appreciate the original series, or AKA Roddenberry's fans! :tongue:

Honestly, I would assume that anyone who would want to see the movie would be a fan of the original series.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think overall, I liked it. I had a few little gripes here and there, but nothing I couldn't get over in the end. But I've never been overly critical of movies, even the original Trek movies.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

***SPOILERS for both first and second films***

Didn't know he was set to do Star Wars. The Kirk death scene was what infuriated me the most. I mean forget the fact that he re-wrote the entire Khan story in the first place. He stole all the power of that scene by having Kirk and Spock trade places. I mean for crying out loud, that was the pivotal moment in the original series when Spock shows emotion. Having Kirk say to Spock "I'm scared" stole all the power from that scene.

I still say that Abrams is just giving us fan-fiction. The movies are great, but I would rather he didn't take so many creative liberties from the original story line. I mean, he had to know he would piss fans off with that!

But the point is that this is an alternate universe. Up until the point that the Romulan mining ship came through the black hole, everything was the same. In fact, the initial impact from the destruction of the the Kelvin was relatively isolated as they then seemingly remained silent until (old) Spock's arrival and the destruction of Vulcan. It's only at that point that the timelines start to really diverge on a universal level.

So it's reasonable that the new Kirk, Spock et al are going to face substantially similar threats to the original crew. But the dynamic between Kirk and Spock has been forever changed by the different nature of Kirk's childhood and entry into the academy, the destruction of Vulcan, etc... and that has colored the rest of their lives. So the alternate versions will find alternate solutions. I'll agree it was perhaps a little cheesy to just have Spock and Kirk switch places, but I saw it as a hat tip to STII.

As more time passes, the timelines will diverge further, and they will face their own unique challenges, instead of borrowing from the original movies.

Whoo this makes me feel all better and warm inside cant wait to see it on Friday now!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

But if the Tribbles were discovered earlier in this 'universe' then it would be an alternate dimension rather than an alternate timeline that spurned off from one event.

I'm not sure why the tribble seems to be such a sticking point. Who really cares, and why does it lessen the quality of the movie in any way?

Here, I'll make something up -

Before it's destruction, the Kelvin sent out a distress signal. This was picked up by the closest Federation ship, and they diverted to investigate. This took them through space that had previously not been explored. They tagged an interesting looking planet for investigation. A year or two later, it was explored and they found tribbles. The 'trouble with tribbles' incident took place, but not on the Enterprise. They later genetically engineered a tribble in which the breeding gene could be switched on and off by administering a certain chemical. This made them ideal experimental surgery candidates, as more could be bred rapidly at will, in controlled conditions. Over the next 20 years, they become an invaluable tool to Federation medical personnel.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

But if the Tribbles were discovered earlier in this 'universe' then it would be an alternate dimension rather than an alternate timeline that spurned off from one event.

I'm not sure why the tribble seems to be such a sticking point. Who really cares, and why does it lessen the quality of the movie in any way?

Here, I'll make something up -

Before it's destruction, the Kelvin sent out a distress signal. This was picked up by the closest Federation ship, and they diverted to investigate. This took them through space that had previously not been explored. They tagged an interesting looking planet for investigation. A year or two later, it was explored and they found tribbles. The 'trouble with tribbles' incident took place, but not on the Enterprise. They later genetically engineered a tribble in which the breeding gene could be switched on and off by administering a certain chemical. This made them ideal experimental surgery candidates, as more could be bred rapidly at will, in controlled conditions. Over the next 20 years, they become an invaluable tool to Federation medical personnel.

Hey check it out! You can write a better plot than Abrams! (okay, yeah I know, he directed it, but didn't write it)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hey check it out! You can write a better plot than Abrams! (okay, yeah I know, he directed it, but didn't write it)

Incidentally, STIII will revolve around a burgeoning movement called PETT (People for Ethical Treatment of Tribbles). Kirk and crew will be called upon to rescue the Federation Surgeon General after he is kidnapped by PETT in protest. Kirk will fall in lust with the head of PETT, and she will gradually open his eyes to a corrupt world where Tribbles and other aliens are being immorally experimented on for the furtherance of the human race.

Kirk resigns his post, informs his crew that he is about to commit mutiny and offers to drop anyone who objects at the nearest class M planet. Chekov responds "I think I speak for everyone when I say 'To hell vizz our orders'" Kirk then leads a crusade against Starfleet, over turns the leadership and militarizes the fleet. After naming himself Grand Admiral, he leads a military coup against the Federation, and installs a puppet government under control of Starfleet high command.

He frees all the tribbles, after first restoring the breeding gene, and they all live tribbly ever after.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Incidentally, STIII will revolve around a burgeoning movement called PETT (People for Ethical Treatment of Tribbles). Kirk and crew will be called upon to rescue the Federation Surgeon General after he is kidnapped by PETT in protest. Kirk will fall in lust with the head of PETT, and she will gradually open his eyes to a corrupt world where Tribbles and other aliens are being immorally experimented on for the furtherance of the human race.

Kirk resigns his post, informs his crew that he is about to commit mutiny and offers to drop anyone who objects at the nearest class M planet. Chekov responds "I think I speak for everyone when I say 'To hell vith our orders'" Kirk then leads a crusade against Starfleet, over turns the leadership and militarizes the fleet. After naming himself Grand Admiral, he leads a military coup against the Federation, and installs a puppet government under control of Starfleet high command.

He frees all the tribbles, after first restoring the breeding gene, and they all live tribbly ever after.

The sequel to that would be:

Tribbles get free on Earth due to the "Free All Tribbles" act. They eat all food on the planet and Kirk is forced to see the errors of his way, gets the gang back together, does a slingshot around the sun and goes back in time to right all wrongs. At some point in the movie Spock will say "colorful metaphors" and we will laugh. The name will be "Star Trek: The Terrible Trouble With Tribbles".
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Kirk resigns his post, informs his crew that he is about to commit mutiny and offers to drop anyone who objects at the nearest class M planet. Chekov responds "I think I speak for everyone when I say 'To hell vith our orders'" Kirk then leads a crusade against Starfleet, over turns the leadership and militarizes the fleet. After naming himself Grand Admiral, he leads a military coup against the Federation, and installs a puppet government under control of Starfleet high command.

The sequel to that would be:

Tribbles get free on Earth due to the "Free All Tribbles" act. The eat all food on the planet and Kirk is forced to see the errors of his way, gets the gang back together, does a slingshot around the sun and goes back in time to right all wrongs. At some point in the movie Spock will say "colorful metaphors" and we will laugh. The name will be "Star Trek: The Terrible Trouble With Tribbles".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Color me amused.
  • What316
    What316 Posts: 563
    Options
    Who have thought sulu turns out to be kkkkhhhaaannnn. **** sorry I shouldn't have said that
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Who have thought sulu turns out to be kkkkhhhaaannnn. **** sorry I shouldn't have said that

Yeah, but they only figure that out after he makes captain!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Uh, spoiler alert please. Not everyone knows about that twist!