crossfit

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am against it. You people make it sound like it is fun. No pain, no gain -- remember?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I went to one once with a friend. The workouts they were doing seemed likely to cause and injury to me, and it didn't really click with me anyway. But she loves it so... whatever.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    I love CF. It has had such a positive impact and have changed my life.

(Minus a workout from the other day that still has me shaking my head in disbelief). Lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone has rearranged the furniture in here.....
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in my third week. I complete all of the WOD last. Sucks being last but I'm just happy I am able to finish. Crossfit is so addicting. I love it and hate it at the same time lol

The coaches at my box are great. I haven't heard any stories of anyone getting injured. The coaches play close attention to form.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think of not joining a crossfit box, but just downloading the WOD's on the website and doing them yourself in your own gym or with a group of fitness pals?

Just curious because I have wanted to join up with some crossfitters, but already pay for a gym that I love and don't wanna change it. I was ONLY thinking of doing this maybe once or twice a week as an addition to the strength training I already do.

...and this seems to be more of a "nicer" thread to ask in rather than the other one with the crossfit bashers. :flowerforyou:

Prior to joining a box, I downloaded the list of "body-weight only" wods from the website and did those with my friends. It was fun, but not as fun as picking up barbells and being surrounded by encouraging people. I think it's a good start though. Especially, if you're trying to save money...etc. Don't get me wrong, I think CF is worth the money, but if you don't have it, you don't have it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think of not joining a crossfit box, but just downloading the WOD's on the website and doing them yourself in your own gym or with a group of fitness pals?

Just curious because I have wanted to join up with some crossfitters, but already pay for a gym that I love and don't wanna change it. I was ONLY thinking of doing this maybe once or twice a week as an addition to the strength training I already do.

...and this seems to be more of a "nicer" thread to ask in rather than the other one with the crossfit bashers. :flowerforyou:

Crossfit is intellectual property that I think deserves the affiliation fees paid by boxes and the membership fees paid by members. I would suggest joining a box to honour that intellectual property as well as for the reason that the box dynamic is the BEST. I love the coaches, I love the other members, I love meeting new people who join, the supportive atmosphere. It's unlike any other gym experience I've had.

From a practical perspective, you're better off having more people do it (even at home on their own) because it makes the activity more mainstream and that growth in popularity does more than the dues of a few people.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Crossfit is intellectual property that I think deserves the affiliation fees paid by boxes and the membership fees paid by members. I would suggest joining a box to honour that intellectual property as well as for the reason that the box dynamic is the BEST. I love the coaches, I love the other members, I love meeting new people who join, the supportive atmosphere. It's unlike any other gym experience I've had.

From a practical perspective, you're better off having more people do it (even at home on their own) because it makes the activity more mainstream and that growth in popularity does more than the dues of a few people.

Not to mention, I don't believe Crossfit corporate has any issues with people doing the workouts that they openly post on their site...(and given their generally litigious nature in protecting their intellectual property in other areas, leads me to believe that they 1) don't see anything wrong with it, 2) don't believe they could prevail in protecting it, and/or 3) see it the same way rtal sees it.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a Crossfit class, but I am somewhat interested in going. I'm posting here just to follow the topic, but I don't have much to add for content. Wah wah.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I've never been to a Crossfit class, but I am somewhat interested in going. I'm posting here just to follow the topic, but I don't have much to add for content. Wah wah.

I drug my feet on even looking into it for years for various reasons. I used cost as an excuse, but the real reason was more the unknown. The fearmongering here and elsewhere on the internet didn't help. Would still be dragging my feet if I hadn't casually mentioned it to my chiropractor (who was treating me for a injury I ran myself into). He vouched for them, and I trust his judgment on things like this implicitly, so I signed up that day.

So far, so awesome. My advice is to check into facilities that are convenient for you. None of them will charge you to talk with them about it, all/nearly all have a free introductory course/session/program for you to get a feel for it, and many have a reasonably-priced on-ramp class. (I paid $100 for 6 classes...and they have been immensely helpful in my form even if I continued lifting on my own and didn't join.) No contract, no additional fees, beyond the monthly dues that I can cancel any time. Seems like a fairly low-risk financial endeavor.

Of course, all that said assumes you have the financial means. It isn't *cheap*, but in my opinion, so far, it's a reasonable price for what I'm getting.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    What Jof actually said:
    I drug my feet on even looking into it for years for various reasons. I used cost as an excuse, but the real reason was more that I didn't want to have to workout next to chicks that could lift more than me and do more pullups
  • ProudArmyWifey8
    Options
    I'm about a month into crossfit, truly addicted!!!! Today our WOD is fight gone bad, this will be my first time doing it!! HELP
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Hi, I'm in my third week. I complete all of the WOD last. Sucks being last but I'm just happy I am able to finish. Crossfit is so addicting. I love it and hate it at the same time lol

The coaches at my box are great. I haven't heard any stories of anyone getting injured. The coaches play close attention to form.

Finishing DFL is better than not finishing at all (which is better than not starting at all).

Perhaps you'll find this link helpful: http://crossfitice.com/Blog/dfl-and-proud-of-it-you-finished.html
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm about a month into crossfit, truly addicted!!!! Today our WOD is fight gone bad, this will be my first time doing it!! HELP

Good luck with that! Just keep pushing and you'll make through!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

How'd it go?

I have FGB tonight, and my quads are still screaming from the Wednesday workout.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

How'd it go?

I have FGB tonight, and my quads are still screaming from the Wednesday workout.

Take the night off! You need to take rest days until most of the soreness is gone. That is especially important when you are doing more difficult workouts than your body is used to.

What did you think of FGB? Is it really that hard?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Yep. From all I've heard, FGB is crazy hard. You're better off waiting until your muscles heal from the last workout before you attempt it. It will be the WOD other times, so it isn't like that is your only chance to ever do it.

How did you deal with it then?

I'd be worried about bailing on the 'graduation ceremony' don't you think it would be better to tough it out and finish that piece as long as you aren't injured?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

How'd it go?

Take the night off! You need to take rest days until most of the soreness is gone. That is especially important when you are doing more difficult workouts than your body is used to.

What did you think of FGB? Is it really that hard?

Yep. From all I've heard, FGB is crazy hard. You're better off waiting until your muscles heal from the last workout before you attempt it. It will be the WOD other times, so it isn't like that is your only chance to ever do it.

Perhaps, although I suspect once I warm up, I'll be mostly fine...and since this is the last class of on-ramp, I can't exactly reschedule it. Oh, sure, I *could* sit this one out, but I'll just do the best I can. Besides, if I didn't workout every time I was sore, I'd get no more than two workouts per week.
  • deedles42
    deedles42 Posts: 27
    Options
    I am not fond of it... but mostly of the way they do kettlebells. :p

That said, if you have proper coaches, and proper recovery time, and proper form -- have at it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I am not fond of it... but mostly of the way they do kettlebells. :p

The only thing I've done so far w/ KBs is what they called an American swing. Seemed benign.

What awful things do they do w/ them that I've not yet experienced that I can look forward to? =P