Fat-free Greek Yogurt is an abomination

Options
Carnivor0us
Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
...with apologies to those who like it...but I just can't stand it, it tastes like chalk. Are there any other brands of full-fat Greek yogurt besides The Greek Gods? I can't seem to find any others.

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    LOL! Know what you mean.

But, just like, quinoa, lentils, beans & spinach. It's all in what you eat with the yogurt.

I add a hand full or two of berries and granola to my yogurt.

Also, my experience is that my previous eating habits screwed up my taste buds. I needed the salt/fat/sugar taste in everything.

It took some time but now I enjoy so many more foods and my cravings for the salt/fat/sugar combination has dropped dramatically.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Fage has a full fat option
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Fage has a full fat option

Really? Where can I find it? The places I've looked have Fage, but it's all 0 or 2% fat or something.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I agree that the plain is awful IMO.

Kinds I like are the cups with Fruit Mixed in.

Chobani is decent, but my favorite in Yoplait 100 strawberry greek yogurt cups.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    To be honest you do need to mix it with other things or on it's own it can be pretty nasty. I like to mix mine with muesli or another cereal with oats, nuts, chocolate, etc. in it.
    It's also pretty good with a teaspoon of jam (jelly for Americans) or fruit in it. Jam is the best one as it's still less calories than a fruit yoghurt but tastes exactly the same.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    LOL! Know what you mean.

But, just like, quinoa, lentils, beans & spinach. It's all in what you eat with the yogurt.

I add a hand full or two of berries and granola to my yogurt.

Also, my experience is that my previous eating habits screwed up my taste buds. I needed the salt/fat/sugar taste in everything.

It took some time but now I enjoy so many more foods and my cravings for the salt/fat/sugar combination has dropped dramatically.

Thanks for replying. I usually eat my yogurt plain, or maybe with the tiniest touch of agave nectar and vanilla extract.

Edit: I forgot, I usually put in a teaspoon of chia seeds for fiber.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Put some stevia in it, along with your favorite extract(s). I use vanilla, almond, and coconut.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Dannon makes a full fat Greek yogurt-it's called Oikos and is made with whole milk. I buy it plain and then add honey and sliced banana to it-very filling and it tastes great :)
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    CHOBANI!! Nuff said.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I also put jam/jelly/preserves in my yogurt, as well as sometimes cocoa powder and almonds (Fage plain fat free yogurt with a tbl of jam, a heaped tsp of baking cocoa and a handful of slivered almonds is more like a desert than a snack - I think the full deal - with 8 oz of yogurt was about 350 calories - I use that when I need to 'catch up" my calories at night)
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    CHOBANI!! Nuff said.

Yep that is correct. Okonos (sp) has one I love too. I LOVE LOVE did I say LOVE greek yogurt.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just finished some fat free chobani lemon flavtored greek yogurt and it was heaven. Almost like lemon cheesecake. It was the best one I've ever had!
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Put some stevia in it, along with your favorite extract(s). I use vanilla, almond, and coconut.

That's what I do, natural sweetener and vanilla extract. I also use a tablespoon and a half of ground flax seed. For grit, lol. (Fiber)

I was into the fruited yogurts but there is always so much sugar in them that I wanted to find a way around that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i used to eat it because i didnt know better. then i tried full fat and i was like OMG. in addition to tasting better (i dont have to add anything to it really) it also keeps me felling fuller longer, so those extra 100 calories are worth it in the long run
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    ...with apologies to those who like it...but I just can't stand it, it tastes like chalk. Are there any other brands of full-fat Greek yogurt besides The Greek Gods? I can't seem to find any others.

I blend mine with frozen fruit like: banana, strawberry and mango; or blend with 1 cup 2% lactose milk, 1 (170 grams) 0% Fage Greek Yogurt, frozen banana and 2 tabs (32 grams) almond butter.
  • csmbsailor
    csmbsailor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I add a bit of agave and cinnamon, sort of make me feel like I am being bad and eating a cinnamon roll...
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I also put jam/jelly/preserves in my yogurt, as well as sometimes cocoa powder and almonds (Fage plain fat free yogurt with a tbl of jam, a heaped tsp of baking cocoa and a handful of slivered almonds is more like a desert than a snack - I think the full deal - with 8 oz of yogurt was about 350 calories - I use that when I need to 'catch up" my calories at night)

oooh, going to try cocoa powder and almonds next time-that sounds really good!
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I don't know how they choose which yogurts they carry, but Publix usually has 0%, 2%, and full fat Fage (Though I prefer Chobani, I haven't seen a full fat option. ) Stonyfield Organic has a full fat option as well.

I try to avoid artificial sweetners as much as I can and have taken to eating plain yogurt without sweetners but adding fresh fruit (strawberries, blackberries, or peaches, etc), often with a dash of cardamom or splash of vanilla.

Though I also admit that I've been indulging (a bit too much) lately with Lifeway's Tart Organic Frozen Kefir (which has sugar). Usually just an icy 2 tbs dollop with an equal amount of plain unsweetened yogurt and fresh fruit for a dessert).
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Chiobani, Yoplait and Oikos ( I think this brand is made by Dannon) all make pretty good Greek yogurt. I think the Yoplait is the best, because I also have a bit of an issue with the texture of Greek yogurt as well and this one is most similar to a traditional yogurt texture. I do believe they are all fat free or 2% fat though. However now that i have been eating the Yoplait Greek yogurt instead of regular for several months I don't find myself as repulsed by the texture of the other brands anymore and I now buy all different kinds :) I personally think its kind of an acquired taste for many, so maybe if you "ease" into it with some fruit flavored yogurts from Yoplait or Oikos you'll grow to like it. Just be aware the that fruit flavors, unless made with artificial sweetener (which is another issue in itself) do have a significant amount of sugar in them.
    Side note:Greek yogurt is also amazing in smoothies and/or protein shakes (they give it a creamier texture) and I even use the plain stuff in place of mayo or sour cream in dips!
  • jtgilfoy
    jtgilfoy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A cup o fat free greek yogurt, strawberries, vanilla protein powder, and a half cup of grape nuts. That's breakfast almost every morning lately. Delicious.