Fat-free Greek Yogurt is an abomination

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Greek_NFplain_24oz_web.png

BEST yogurt EVER!!!! The non-fat one is better than the full fat one. It tastes like cream!!!!! It shouldn't but it does!
  • Parmcat
    Parmcat Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I often use it as a "spread" or topping.

I will mix it with 2 scoops of my vanilla protein powder, and a touch of cinnamon. I will spread that on my protein pancake ir pour it over bowl of fresh fruit for breakfast....

So good!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    double
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    10% fat greek yoghurt is delightful. Higher in calories, but the fat isn't necessarily bad. Yummie.

I hate the fat free variant.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Chobani.

Enough said

0% fat & tastes closer to sour cream. comes in some awesome flavors as well.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I went to the store and picked up a large tub of The Greek Gods....that Chobani was too pricey for me! :( Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
  • denaea
    denaea Posts: 2
    Options
    I am in love all over againw ith Greek Yogurt! I used to only like Fage, but have now stumbled upon *cue the rainbow and glitter* Oikos Key Lime Greek Yogurt! Deelish! <3:bigsmile:
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    As a greek I grew up on full fat fage Total! With a little honey drizzled on top, heaven. It comes in a blue container http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/
  • nurit1979
    nurit1979 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Zoi is the best I've found.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage 2% most of the time, but when I am at my other home in Colorado, where there are many more 'health' food stores, I stock up on Siggi's.

Hands down the best Greek Yogurt I have had.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making your own yogurt? Heat up a gallon of whole milk to just below boiling (I use goat milk, because we have goats), let it cool to 110 degrees, stir in a cup of plain commercial yogurt, let it sit overnight, and strain until you get the consistency you want (it takes a day or two for Greek). Flavor in whatever way your heart desires. Save a cup of the unstrained yogurt to culture your next batch.
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Greek Yogurt like sour cream, as a replacement for it. I also LOVE it on top of pancakes (instead of whipped cream - just mix with a little honey and add some fresh fruit) and love to eat it as a snack with fruit, honey, or granola.

It mixes really well with other things, but yeah I'd never suggest eating it on its own. The tang is... a little much for most people.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! I've been trying to choke down plain fat free Greek yogurt to replace my regular yogurt because of the high sugar content for a couple weeks now. I now have a freezer full of experimental mix-ins. They're all positively horrid. The drink mix finally did the trick. I'll look for 2% or full fat next shopping trip.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I buy Chobani plain greek yogurt. Granted, it is non-fat, it doesn't have a bunch of crap in it. And it has 23 g of protein per serving!

Since plain yogurt tastes pretty icky by itself, I tend to put it in a small blender or food processor with some fresh fruit (strawberries, bananas, blueberries) and just mix it all together. It's delicious that way.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been buying the Trader Joe's full fat plain for a few weeks now. It's quite good. The texture seems firmer than their nonfat variety, but the tang is better. I eat 4 oz for breakfast, mixed with 4 oz of plain applesauce (love TJ's gravenstein applesauce!), a splash of vanilla extract and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.

When I don't mix it with the applesauce, I'll put the same 4 oz of yogurt into my vitamix, add a handful of frozen strawberries, a splash of vanilla extract, then I mix in a few drops of chocolate stevia. It literally tastes like neapolitan ice cream!

I've tried the Cabot full fat, I can't say I was particularly impressed. I think I'll stick with my TJ's.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    greek gods actually has little to no culture and good bacteria in it, TRY NANCYS (the nonfat is AMAZING!) or STRAUSS (all of their yogurts are made with non F'd cows) these are the ONLY two yogurts I will eat, because I've tried to make yogurt off of other yogurts and you really see what's left in them when you try to culture off of them.... nancys and strauss WIN as far as being an ACTUAL yogurt with good bacteria cultures still intact... most others just add cream for thickening, which is why their nonfat versions SUCK
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    To be honest you do need to mix it with other things or on it's own it can be pretty nasty. I like to mix mine with muesli or another cereal with oats, nuts, chocolate, etc. in it.
    It's also pretty good with a teaspoon of jam (jelly for Americans) or fruit in it. Jam is the best one as it's still less calories than a fruit yoghurt but tastes exactly the same.

I love mixing plain Chobani with a tablespoon of sugar-free strawberry jam. Yes, Americans call it jam, too. :D
  • ZenMatter
    ZenMatter Posts: 1
    Options
    I really like the Trader Joe's 0% milk fat greek yogurt.

To be honest I think it tastes more like skyr than greek yogurt and it has great nutrition too!
  • jnicole90
    jnicole90 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the 0% plain with a bit of granola, fruit, and honey. SO GOOD
    But I might try the vanilla flavored next time. I couldn't imagine eating the 0% plain by itself, ick.