Exclusionary clothing stores.

Options

Replies

• kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Different stores cater to different clientele. That's how they make their money. You don't see stores like Lane Bryant carrying my size and I'm not going to complain about that. That'd be like being pissed that a Mexican restaurant doesn't have Chinese food on their menu.

I agree so much with this....
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This all went different ways!

As a person highly interested in marketing; there's no way that all of the stores could make all of the sizes "needed". For as much as I think Abercrombie "dude" is a ****, it is good practice to cater to certain markets. Actually, the fundamentals of business marketing is identifying your target market for your product. Junior stores sell junior clothing. For those who didnt like the Chinese and Mexican food reference - think of another store - The Children's Place? Carter's? Baby Gap? I doubt ANY of us are shopping there. I would hardly consider it "exclusionary" because they don't have my size (XL). It's a specialty store, NOT a department store. Therefore they only cater to children, just like Rue, Forever 21, Abercrombie, and so forth cater to HS and college age. Production costs would be through the roof if you made a larger range of sizes for everyone. The reasoning behind Abercrombie is a little off-color, but as for the others, there's plenty of selection, variety and sizes that cater to a larger mass of 15-25 year olds.

On another note: I'm super excited to shop at target in their junior section for dresses and such. Last time I bough anything it was an XXL top in maternity (I was pregnant but 11 mo after my second kid - I'm just now getting back to some sense of normal)!

I think the real issue is the girl who probably just needs more training in customer service. She shouldn't have offered up that the sizing was small unless you asked. She may have thought she was saving you time, too. Maybe she didnt realize. And it's only one person, not the company that said that to you (which also makes her ignorant to the fact that she's the immediate face of the company and should be smiles and helpful. And basically only ask the questions that are asked.) but I think you should maybe reevaluate the situation and maybe give it a second chance. If she really is rude to customers, then she probably won't be there for you to go all Julia Roberts pretty woman on her bum anyway!

I do, but then I have a toddler, so I am sure I'm not who you were referencing there... :wink:

edited, because I forgot to put a comment in.

HAHA! I too shop there, well, because I have two kids. It was the easiest way I could think of describing specialty? Hahaha! I mean I obviously don't shop for myself there... ;)
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

Their sizes run very small. Sorry you got such a stupid attitude though. I hate people like that how do they know you werent in there shopping for a present or looking at the earrings. Well I can believe Torrid will never get a dime from you guess they dont value your money.

Would someone not have to buy something a size larger even for a friend or will they magically fit someone at their posted size? Also, a good salesperson would probably be able to tell that someone was not looking at the earrings when they approached a customer looking through the racks. Some people just seem to seek something to get offended by.....

Huh? have you ever shopped with a woman even if they arent buying anything they are shuffling the racks. She has every right to be offended by a snarky comment and rude customer service. What happened to, "Hi Welcome to Torrid, I'm Beck, let me know if you need any help and I'll be more than happy to assist you (big smile!)" *see this is why I kicked booty in sales. I'd let the manager know you arent happy though or send a corporate email. Her money her time.

Yeah, I'm not sure that any woman seeks being offended.....if that's what you were trying to say. I didn't go to the bathing suit rack to be told that I can't wear their clothes unless I go up a size. I went because I wanted something to wear to the beach. In any case, she didn't even give me a chance to actually try on the swim suit. It's not like I was in the changing room and asked for her opinion. I was just standing there and the lady came up to me. In any case, the point I was trying to make is that there are rude workers everywhere. And if someone is rude, I will walk right out of the door or talk to a manager.

I don't understand this one at allllllll :huh: All women are aware that sizes differ depending on the brand/store and this goes for shirts and pants and dresses and SHOES. I like to try everything on first but sometimes you don't have time and I would love it if an associate told me hey the sizes run really small so make sure you get the right size for you. That isn't calling me fat or skinny or big-footed or tall...that's just being helpful so I don't have to come back to the store and return it later. RIght?! :flowerforyou:
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    I went into Torrid (a plus sized clothing store) a few weeks ago in hopes of finding a bathing suit. There was this girl at the front and she immediately approached me as I was looking through the racks. This girl was triple my size and she said "sweetie just wanna let you know that our sizes run really small, so you will probably have to go up a size or two." LOL. She gave me a dirty look and walked off. I didn't even bother looking. I gave her a "who do you think you are" kinda look, smiled, and then I walked right out of that store. It was kinda hurtful but then I laughed about it at the end. I try the best I can to laugh at ignorant people.

Their sizes run very small. Sorry you got such a stupid attitude though. I hate people like that how do they know you werent in there shopping for a present or looking at the earrings. Well I can believe Torrid will never get a dime from you guess they dont value your money.

Would someone not have to buy something a size larger even for a friend or will they magically fit someone at their posted size? Also, a good salesperson would probably be able to tell that someone was not looking at the earrings when they approached a customer looking through the racks. Some people just seem to seek something to get offended by.....

Huh? have you ever shopped with a woman even if they arent buying anything they are shuffling the racks. She has every right to be offended by a snarky comment and rude customer service. What happened to, "Hi Welcome to Torrid, I'm Beck, let me know if you need any help and I'll be more than happy to assist you (big smile!)" *see this is why I kicked booty in sales. I'd let the manager know you arent happy though or send a corporate email. Her money her time.

Yeah, I'm not sure that any woman seeks being offended.....if that's what you were trying to say. I didn't go to the bathing suit rack to be told that I can't wear their clothes unless I go up a size. I went because I wanted something to wear to the beach. In any case, she didn't even give me a chance to actually try on the swim suit. It's not like I was in the changing room and asked for her opinion. I was just standing there and the lady came up to me. In any case, the point I was trying to make is that there are rude workers everywhere. And if someone is rude, I will walk right out of the door or talk to a manager.

I don't understand this one at allllllll :huh: All women are aware that sizes differ depending on the brand/store and this goes for shirts and pants and dresses and SHOES. I like to try everything on first but sometimes you don't have time and I would love it if an associate told me hey the sizes run really small so make sure you get the right size for you. That isn't calling me fat or skinny or big-footed or tall...that's just being helpful so I don't have to come back to the store and return it later. RIght?! :flowerforyou:

I can fit into Torrid's sizes. I was already aware about their sizes when I walked into that place. It's about the way she said it, her tone, and the dirty look she gave me when she had no room to judge in the first place. Honestly I could care less. I laughed it off and walked out of the store. My point in posting this is that there are rude workers everywhere. Laugh it off, walk away, or don't go back.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I went into a boutique just to basically "window shop" (I was waiting for a friend who was shopping), I had no intention of buying anything. One of the workers noticed me admiring a dress and told me that the dress wouldn't fit me because the biggest size they carried was a size 4. I lost 40 pounds and I'm a size 6. I am at my smallest and I feel great, then to hear that, made me angry. I didn't care that they didn't carriy my size, but I thought it was rude for her to make a comment the way she did.

You thought it was rude that she could tell your size and told you something wouldn't fit before you wasted your time looking for your size?
    That was actually helpful - if you had been thinking about buying.

The way she said it was pretty nasty and not called for-as if I wasn't welcomed in the store. I would have figured it out since there were limited selections.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I went into The Limited. The saleswoman looked me up and down and said, you're, what, a 12 tall? (In their pants I was at that point). Then she told me, "you'll want to look over there." Pointing to the back corner. I was grateful she was able to tell what size I am and point me in the right direction.

What would be the point of looking for cloths if they won't fit? It's not helpful, and it's a waste of everyone's time. You were embarrassed by your size needs and interpreted her look the way you wanted to. I'd be willing to bet she really wasn't being rude or snarky - but actually trying to help and walked away because of your negative attitude.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I went into a boutique just to basically "window shop" (I was waiting for a friend who was shopping), I had no intention of buying anything. One of the workers noticed me admiring a dress and told me that the dress wouldn't fit me because the biggest size they carried was a size 4. I lost 40 pounds and I'm a size 6. I am at my smallest and I feel great, then to hear that, made me angry. I didn't care that they didn't carriy my size, but I thought it was rude for her to make a comment the way she did.

You thought it was rude that she could tell your size and told you something wouldn't fit before you wasted your time looking for your size?

I think you kind of missed the point here (though I like your "its all in how you look at it" attitude :) ) She was not even thinking of trying it on she was just admiring the dress. She was already looking at it kind of longingly I think KWIM? If she had been searching for her size and then asked for assistance when she could not find it...the comment may have been appropriate. If she had attempted to try on the size four...maybe even then. But to seek her out to tell her she was clearly too big for the dress she was only admiring...kind of screams bad intent to me.

That being said...I do have brands that I love that I will just never fit. The cut of them are made for women that are just built up differently than I am. It doesn't bother me, there are enough brands and styles I love that do fit to feed my need for fashion. Same thing with the stores that carry those brands. No sweat off my back. Just don't be rude to me or anyone else I know. My best friend was once stopped in FRONT of a regular sized store and told "we don't sell plus sized clothes". She let the person know that she knew that...but was coming for earrings as she had been buying accessories there for years...then she turned around and left. She's lost 40 pounds and she's never gone back.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever have a similar experience at a clothing store?

I keep hearing how Victoria's Secret has the cutest and softest pjs but I went in there and they didn't have a thing I could wear. I finally got the attention of one of the clerks and asked her "Where's the section with clothes for me?". She just looked at me and said "We only sell clothes to women here." Pffft!

I'm so tired of being excluded because of my gender. Didn't we settle all this sexist exclusionary stuff years ago? Apparently not. Just to show her she wasn't the boss of me I grabbed a black thong and when she rung up the sale I quietly told her "I'm wearing this tonight." Ha ha! Who's laughing now lady?

LOVE IT!!!
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options

I went into The Limited. The saleswoman looked me up and down and said, you're, what, a 12 tall? (In their pants I was at that point). Then she told me, "you'll want to look over there." Pointing to the back corner. I was grateful she was able to tell what size I am and point me in the right direction.

What would be the point of looking for cloths if they won't fit? It's not helpful, and it's a waste of everyone's time. You were embarrassed by your size needs and interpreted her look the way you wanted to. I'd be willing to bet she really wasn't being rude or snarky - but actually trying to help and walked away because of your negative attitude.

You are entitled to your own opinion but this is very rudely worded. I am not embarrassed about being a plus sized- why should I be? Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes. and I was not being negative to her at all. There's a big difference between helpful and rude.
  • kmgstevens
    kmgstevens Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I tag along with friends or family that are shopping for clothes every now and again, and it usually leads to me being a bit depressed because the stores they shop in simply don't carry sizes that fit me. I understand that I am larger than the average range of body types, so I don't get super bent out of shape about it, but it is hard walking into a store and knowing that the only thing that could fit you in the whole joint is a pair of earrings hanging by the counter.

Alternatively, I can't stand stores like Lane Bryant because the style of clothes they have are just not appealing to me. I prefer places that make cute clothes that have a large range of sizes, so I am not limited to the tiny section in the back corner of the store. I've also started to try finding clothes online. Its kind of a gamble, since you don't know for sure if it'll fit until it gets shipped to you, but a lot of those kinds of places allow you to return for free, so its only a bit of a hassle.

One of my most anticipated long term goals is to be able to shop with a group of friends and to actually join in on the search for a new top or new pair of jeans at the same stores.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    What I'm wondering is if the OP is shopping in Junior stores and getting mad they won't fit?

Why are women shopping in juniors? Why not shop in regular women's clothing?

I don't know about you, but whenever i see the "women's" section in a store the clothes are either frumpy, or they start at size 20.
    I don't know when "women" started to = fat in the clothing industry.

I find way more decent fitting/looking stuff in juniors.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

It was her attitude. How about let her pick out something first maybe try it one then be like oh i am so sorry these clothes tend to be a bit on the small side but you know what i have a great suit in the back will look so sexy on you give me one second. Then let her try it on. Yay no snarky attitude you helped the customer and hopefully made a sale! She hadnt even picked up a suit. She was just browsing. She could have been standing there farting in the aisles because she didnt want her friends to smell it, the sales person didnt know. but the attitude is what got her.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    What I'm wondering is if the OP is shopping in Junior stores and getting mad they won't fit?

I don't know about you, but whenever i see the "women's" section in a store the clothes are either frumpy, or they start at size 20.

The OP is only 22!! I think that more than qualifies as a junior
  • ldrosophila
    Options

I think you kind of missed the point here (though I like your "its all in how you look at it" attitude :) ) She was not even thinking of trying it on she was just admiring the dress. She was already looking at it kind of longingly I think KWIM? If she had been searching for her size and then asked for assistance when she could not find it...the comment may have been appropriate. If she had attempted to try on the size four...maybe even then. But to seek her out to tell her she was clearly too big for the dress she was only admiring...kind of screams bad intent to me.

That being said...I do have brands that I love that I will just never fit. The cut of them are made for women that are just built up differently than I am. It doesn't bother me, there are enough brands and styles I love that do fit to feed my need for fashion. Same thing with the stores that carry those brands. No sweat off my back. Just don't be rude to me or anyone else I know. My best friend was once stopped in FRONT of a regular sized store and told "we don't sell plus sized clothes". She let the person know that she knew that...but was coming for earrings as she had been buying accessories there for years...then she turned around and left. She's lost 40 pounds and she's never gone back.

IDK I would have walked in and started trying on dresses left and right open your wallet in front of them flip threw the credit cards leave all the clothes on a heap in the dressing room floor and leave laughing your booty off.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

The OP is only 22!! I think that more than qualifies as a junior

But I'm not.
    I'm 47, and I still find more stuff in juniors that fits than I do in the women's sections of a store. :smile:

I was answering the lady who said "Why do women still shop in juniors"?
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    I wish that stores that sold exclusively plus size clothing actually paid attention to how fat women's bodies differ from thin ones. You can't take a shirt that's a size 10, make it wider, and call it a size 20. As a fat woman, I wish the stores that supposedly 'cater' to me actually did.
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    It is ok if they don't carry larger sizes at the store, but the staff doesn't have to be mean about it. I once went into Anne Klein Loft and one salesperson was so snotty about not carrying my size that I will not go into those stores again.
  • misskate1987
    Options
    My only issue is with the exclusionary sales staff. It's fine if you don't sell my size, just don't judge me because of it.

THIS!

I walked into a store with a friend once. It's a store I know doesn't cater to me, and that's fine. I was literally standing next to my friend as she looked at clothes (probably picking through the racks as well, because you know, it's what you do).

Sales girl walked up to me and said "Do you need help because we only stock selected sizes, so..." and she gave me the up and down with a sneer.

I will never shop there.

ETA: Another time I walked into a different store (that I obsess over and want to spend all my money in) with a different friend, which also does not cater to me (yet). I sat patiently as my friend tried things on and the sales assistant, fully genuine and kind and caring (and perhaps unaware of sizing) said "aren't you going to try anything on too??"

I will definitely shop there.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Different stores cater to different clientele. That's how they make their money. You don't see stores like Lane Bryant carrying my size and I'm not going to complain about that. That'd be like being pissed that a Mexican restaurant doesn't have Chinese food on their menu.

Bazinga !

I dont go to Uniqlo and complain that Gap fits me better. Find what fits and wear it.
  • Hennagrrl
    Hennagrrl Posts: 11
    Options
    Clothes shopping can be so frustrating. I'm still fairly slender up top, but my arms are fat. But a LG which fits in the bust and shoulders will not go over my upper arms and a 1X which fits my arms fine has shoulders down to my elbows and my boobs hang out of the neckline... I know I'm not the only lady with fat arms... I just wonder where my sisters shop...